Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
January Jollies
27-01-2006, 12:03 AM,
January Jollies
I suspect you may have been missing the treadmill, MLCMan.
Perhaps you could strap it to your back and try the track one more time?
Or maybe mount the treadmill on a flatbed truck and have a mate drive the truck around the track whilst you . . .

. . . oh, never mind.
Join the crew of the good ship Craprun Week.
I've managed one so far this week. My next will be on Sunday in Almería, and even then I might be sporting a thermometer and a large roll of kleenex Sad

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

27-01-2006, 12:08 AM,
January Jollies
andy Wrote:Minus 5 here at the moment.

Bastard. :mad:

It might help to know that the reason 25 degrees here seems "crisp" is because temperatures recently have been frequently above 40 - in fact as high as 46.

Which makes minus 5 look positively wonderful.

Not sure about the suet ball though. Have robins no scruples?
Run. Just run.
27-01-2006, 12:16 AM,
January Jollies
Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:Not sure about the suet ball though. Have robins no scruples?

Eh? A suet ball is the robin's equivalent of a 12 course banquet and a bottle or two of Lafite '61.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
27-01-2006, 03:07 AM,
January Jollies
andy Wrote:Eh? A suet ball is the robin's equivalent of a 12 course banquet and a bottle or two of Lafite '61.

Must be nice to be that cheap to please. Why can't wives be like that?
Run. Just run.
27-01-2006, 10:08 AM,
January Jollies
Indeed. You should see the duty-free perfume list I've just been given as a punishment for going to Spain for the weekend. Eek
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
27-01-2006, 10:43 AM,
January Jollies
Speakin of perfume . . . did you see the story of the couple in Australia who found Whale Sperm Excreta washed up on the beach? (there's no punchline - this is for real)

A couple of lumps of this stuff about the size of 2 bags of sugar were authenticated and valued by the Parfumiers who use such rarified poo in their love potions.

£ 124,000.00's worth.
For the love of God . . . Eek

30-01-2006, 03:05 AM,
January Jollies
Sweder Wrote:Speakin of perfume . . . did you see the story of the couple in Australia who found Whale Sperm Excreta washed up on the beach? (there's no punchline - this is for real)

A couple of lumps of this stuff about the size of 2 bags of sugar were authenticated and valued by the Parfumiers who use such rarified poo in their love potions.

£ 124,000.00's worth.
For the love of God . . . Eek

Yeah, it's calcified sperm whale vomit, it has been floating in the ocean for several decades and is much sought after by perfume makers. Makes sense to me Rolleyes

Here's a pic - this was actually found not all that far from where I am currently in South Australia... maybe I should do more beach running? (Apparently the girl is pulling that face because this stuff is especially rancid).

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Run. Just run.
30-01-2006, 03:34 AM,
January Jollies
There's a wonderful phrase that entered the Australian vernacular after the 2002 Winter Olympics which is "doing (or done) a Bradbury", named after Steven Bradbury who won Australia's first ever winter Olympics gold medal.

But it doesn't mean to do something for the first time. In fact it means to do something so completely unexpected and unlikely that you become an instant hero. And indeed, Steven Bradbury's win is my all-time favourite Olympic moment. In fact, if you ask most Australians what their favourite Olympic memory is, you might expect them to nominate Cathy Freeman's 400metre track and field gold or perhaps Kieren Perkin's amazing 1500m freestyle gold, but no; most people nominate Steven Bradbury - a guy who no-one had ever heard of before the Salt Lake City games, and few outside of Australia have heard of even today.

At the time it seemed an utter fluke. Five finalists lined up in the 1000m speed skating final. It was a surprise to most to see an Aussie there, up against four huge names in skating. To no-one's surprise, Bradbury was at the back of the field for the entire race until the last bend when the four in front tangled and all went down, leaving Bradbury to skate through the scrambling melee to take the gold.

Bradbury has never raced since.

I had the enormous privilege of hearing Bradbury speak at a seminar two days ago (and see his gold medal), and this guy was just amazing. 2002 was his fourth Olympic games, and the best he had done previously was a bronze in the relay. By Salt Lake City he was no longer trying to win, but simply to skate at his best. He went into that final thinking that if he stayed at the back, there might be a collision up front and he could maybe grab a bronze. Realistically, he gave himself no other chance.

When he took the gold, he wondered about maybe handing it back, but decided that he had been training 5 hours per day, 6 days a week for 12 years, and if he was the last man standing at the critical moment, then it was down to years of sacrifice and committment, and had nothing to do with luck. He had even nearly lost his life to skating when a collision with another skater ripped his leg open and he lost 4 litres of blood on the ice and was only saved because the race doctor stuck his hand inside Bradbury's leg and squeezed the artery shut until the ambulance arrived.

So he proudly took the gold and now does the lecture circuit telling people "don't quit - the prize sometimes goes to the most persistent, not necessarily the fastest, strongest or best".

Coincidentally, I was listening to Bradbury about the same time our gallant RC team was competing in Almeria. I thought it rather appropriate. Persistence pays dividends, even if you sometimes (maybe even often) miss your goals. Don't quit, and eventually you'll get there.

Great stuff!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Run. Just run.
30-01-2006, 07:53 AM,
January Jollies
I enjoyed reading that after our exertions yesterday; a heart-warming story of hope and acceptance. There was no medal, gold or otherwise, for the Almería Three yesterday; but if there were a gong going spare it would surely be bestowed upon SP, who manfully cycled somewhere close to 500 miles in trying to capture us all on film. He was a star man.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  January 2019 ... here we go again! Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 52 9,367 31-01-2019, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  Fat and flabby January Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 8 3,294 28-01-2016, 12:39 PM
Last Post: Bierzo Baggie
  2015 January is Go Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 8 2,826 02-02-2015, 11:30 AM
Last Post: stillwaddler
  January 2012 - Here We Go Again Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 40 25,300 31-01-2012, 05:24 PM
Last Post: glaconman