Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting the Asics Right
21-12-2018, 12:00 PM,
Getting the Asics Right
And so the journey begins.

I've used Runkeeper since 2012 when I first set out on my running journey.  So I have a nice long record of what I've done and tried to do. I've used some of their training schedules and in the early days when I did them religiously they were pretty solid. 

But I found that I followed them too slavishly and they weren't therefore too enjoyable, so I drifted into just doing my own thing.

Now as I look to 2019 running, I think I need a slightly more organised approach. And by coincidence, Asics who seem to have taken over Runkeeper, emailed and asked if I wanted a personalised plan.  And lo they sent me one. And followed it up with a Google hangout consult with their training plan team.  Turns out they are beta testing what will become an automatic part of the RK system and I am a lucky guinea pig.

By pure coincidence, if I start the plan on Xmas day, 12 weeks later when plan ends is Sunday 17 March, AKA Moyleman day.

So this will now become my plan - with a theoretical 1:50 HM target (for the flat ...)

And ... I've now entered four HMs in four months from Feb onwards:
- Almeria (Feb)
- Moyleman (March)
- Sheffield (April) - my home town
- Sunderland (May) - my partner's home town

All I need now is Seaford HM to get put on properly for June, and one for July and I'll be all set for 6 in a row

So that's the plan.

Will log here how it all goes!
21-12-2018, 12:16 PM,
RE: Getting the Asics Right
Mate ... you're making some of us look bad.

But, that's a good thing.

For you.

For people like CC5, though, it's bad.

And for me? Well, it's catastrophic. But you should seriously do it.

Never mind CC5's caterwauling... he'll get over it. I'll buy him a pint of something hipster, he'll be fine. You run on, you legend, you!
Run. Just run.
24-12-2018, 03:24 PM,
It looks as if the Seaford Half is back, but on 19 May https://npslions.co.uk/events/seaford-half-marathon/ (the June date has been taken over by the Triple Challenge, which includes a half but there's no details of the 2019 event yet). As for July, there's always Bewl... a couple of miles more than HM distance, but fun nevertheless
χαιρέτε νικὠμεν
Next race(s): 
In the lap of the gods

27-12-2018, 10:32 AM,
I can assure MLCMMan (and any other concerned citizens on Planet RC) that CC5 is fine. Like me, he's eating and drinking too much. Unlike me, he's running in the hills. He can tell you all about that himself, but the swine is still half my size and at least twice my fitness.

I love the sound of this Asics/ RK takeover, Rob. Like you I eschewed fancy devices and stuck to RK. It is now a faithful record of my (lack of) activities in the past three years, so I can't just ditch it. Besides, I'm not doing enough to warrant the outlay on a new device. I have a perfectly good Adidas watch gathering dust somewhere.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

29-12-2018, 12:39 PM,
(24-12-2018, 03:24 PM)The Beast of Bevendean Wrote: It looks as if the Seaford Half is back, but on 19 May https://npslions.co.uk/events/seaford-half-marathon/ (the June date has been taken over by the Triple Challenge, which includes a half but there's no details of the 2019 event yet). As for July, there's always Bewl... a couple of miles more than HM distance, but fun nevertheless

Thanks for the Seaford heads up - if anyone else is doing it, then I might be persuaded to tag along! I like the fact you can register the day before ...

But the Triple Challenge looks interesting - so I will pencil that one in.

And Bewl for July sounds great too

Thanks BoB!
29-12-2018, 12:57 PM,
Running update 29 December:
- 25 miles done so far this week, taking monthly total to 83
- weight stable (more or less, with a few Xmas pounds added)
- weekday activities now firmly re-established
- Asics plan kicked off on 25 December

This gearing up of activity has been hugely aided by the Xmas break and by parkruns taking place midweek on Xmas day (and also this coming week on New Year's day). So Xmas day saw a lovely 3km trot up to Peacehaven - and then an inadvertent pacing of 26min (since they had lost the 28min vest) - and another 3km trot back. That allowed a good celebration of 100th parkrun by fellow Moyleman committee organiser, Brian Courage. My subsequent Xmas visit to family in Sheffield allowed a couple of runs around the steep hills and the lovely Porter Valley.

And the park run today, saw a 7 mile (11.4km) pre-parkrun jaunt over the hills from Lewes to Bevendean. And then my second fastest Bevendean time (and only second time under 25 mins there) with an unexectedly strong 24:59. Hadn't been looking for a fast time, just to complete the 10 miles. The tough hill in the middle section somehow seemed like a tiddler and I almost treated it like a sprint up a Twitten.

Reflecting on it afterwards, I have no explanation as to why that hill - which for 19 other parkruns around that downland course has been a struggle, suddenly today was almost a breeze ... and oddly the downhill section (which is a steep legs flailing type rapid descent) felt comparatively hard.

Anyway - such is the joy of running. It sometimes defies rational thought.

Sweder completed his 99th - which puts him on target for a New Year's Day milestone (which I think we are heading to Peacehaven for) and the Beast of Bev close behind on his 94th. (I remain some way behind on 70 - but with a putative 2 on new year's day, am closing in!)
30-12-2018, 11:15 AM,
(29-12-2018, 12:57 PM)OutAlongTheRiver Wrote: And the park run today, saw a 7 mile (11.4km) pre-parkrun jaunt over the hills from Lewes to Bevendean. And then my second fastest Bevendean time (and only second time under 25 mins there) with an unexectedly strong 24:59.  Hadn't been looking for a fast time, just to complete the 10 miles.  The tough hill in the middle section somehow seemed like a tiddler and I almost treated it like a sprint up a Twitten.  

Reflecting on it afterwards, I have no explanation as to why that hill - which for 19 other parkruns around that downland course has been a struggle, suddenly today was almost a breeze ... and oddly the downhill section (which is a steep legs flailing type rapid descent) felt comparatively hard.

Anyway -  such is the joy of running. It sometimes defies rational thought.

And mystery solved! Turns out Sweder had experienced the exact same thing (hill easier, downhill harder) and lo the answer was wind direction! Unusually strong tail wind on the uphill, and head wind on the descent ... such is the joy of running.  It sometimes doesn't defy rational thought Smile
31-12-2018, 03:03 AM,
Maybe we've got it all wrong all these years. Perhaps you should be running the Twittens downhill? You'd definitely get more starters...
Run. Just run.
01-01-2019, 12:17 PM,
(31-12-2018, 03:03 AM)Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote: Maybe we've got it all wrong all these years. Perhaps you should be running the Twittens downhill? You'd definitely get more starters...

We do run the Twittens downhill...
There is more to be done
01-01-2019, 10:43 PM,
(01-01-2019, 12:17 PM)Charliecat5 Wrote:
(31-12-2018, 03:03 AM)Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote: Maybe we've got it all wrong all these years. Perhaps you should be running the Twittens downhill? You'd definitely get more starters...

We do run the Twittens downhill...

I did wonder ... all the photos you lot ever post on Twitter are always taken at the bottom of the hill. I thought it might all be a con.
Run. Just run.
03-01-2019, 05:48 PM,
3 January update

First day back at work - and inspired by Tom Roper suggestion, did my Asics "surge" run (which in a nutshell is just series of hard 30s, gentle 30s repeated 8 times) along the canal towpath from Kings Cross to the west side of Regents Park - via Camden Lock and London Zoo. This finally seems like an enjoyable route I could take up as a regular weekday route from work.

May be at risk of *overtraining* I realise, since I ran yesterday (2 Jan) and on New Year's Day. I will definitely take Friday (tomorrow) off to rest and recover.

New year's day had the enjoyable facet of two park runs (first time I've ever tried this) - with first visit to Eastbourne. E'bourne is about the flatest course I have ever run - and would make great opportunity for a PB. As it was, I paced my partner to her own PB (clocking 24:25) - in a large field, which made the opening km a hard one to get out fast enough for.

Then the highlight of the month - being at Peacehaven for Sweder's 100th park run. And for Mrs CC5's very first. So double celebration. Especially as CC5 hates park runs.

We mused as to whether Ash had taken longest to reach 100 runs - is first being back in 2008. The logic being either people who started early on in park run history would either long since have passed 100, or would have given up the running. Who would have dipped in and out and slowly approached 100 over 10 years? And sure enough I hadn't found anyone who had ... until I looked at Ash's very first run. And the person who finished just ahead of him (by 5 seconds) is indeed still running, hasn't yet reached 100, but has done around 5 or so in last few months. Now on 93, that person may well hit 100 in the coming months. So Ash's crown for persistence (if such crown he holds) may only be his for a short while.
03-01-2019, 10:12 PM,
Congratulations on that running streak, OATR. I think you're going to improve your PB in Almería this year. Congratulations to your partner, CC5´s wife and Sweder for his 100th park run!

Look forward to seeing you all in just one month.

Saludos desde Almería.

09-01-2019, 12:36 PM,
Photo  RE: Getting the Asics Right
Wed 9 January update

Plunged into illness sadly after a very good weekend of running ... picked up cold from son.  Laid low completely yesterday (Tuesday). Now back at work tentatively. Getting best advice on when/how to return to training. Best advice = OK to run if cold above neck, not if on chest.  But take it easy and expect faster fatigue.

Anyway, weekend running as I say was very good. 10K run over the Kingston ridge and down to Peacehaven parkrun following a new route which I've never been down before. It's a route long known to regular Brighton-Lewes runners (eg the Jog Shop regulars). But an extraordinary run through Downs from top of Yellow Brick Road along to Telscombe Tye

Will definitely be back for that run again

And fingers crossed recovery in time for what will - by pure good luck - be first overseas park run. We'd booked in trip to Hamburg to go to concert in their beautiful new Elbphilharmonie
15-01-2019, 08:22 AM,
Photo  RE: Getting the Asics Right
Tue 15 January update

Thankfully the cold receded rapidly - and was able to get back to short run on Friday (just 3.5K, but with some of the Asics training plan approved "surges" thrown in) to test out recovery.

Saturday saw another cross the hills 10K run to the Peacehaven Park Run. This time attempting to go via Breaky Bottom and then all the way down Telscombe Tye to reach the Peacehaven coast path, and then cutting up to the Big Park.  Turned out to be 11K,  but we'd left sufficient time 

Park run done - with pacing 28 mins as ever - I found I had qualified for a volunteer's 25 parkrun T-Shirt, as soon as the stocks come on line. 

Sunday was a return to the Twittens, with a bit of distance added on before and after to boost it to 4 miles. A duo this time with Sweder - sporting his 100 parkrun shirt.

Upcoming this week is meant to be a 21K test outing on Thursday - but Paula has painful knee niggle so we may not do all that.

And then most exciting is first overseas parkrun - we're off to Hamburg for short trip, and by pure chance they have literally last week just created a new park run there. So we'll see how park run operates in Germany.
15-01-2019, 10:14 PM,
Wow, these Parkruns are taking on a life of their own ... between those, the runs on the Downs and the Twittens (will Mrs CC5 be joining those as well?) you've a tremendous training platform to take on just about anything.

Pretty soon Sweder will be getting that wistful look in his eye and signing you all up for Comrades or sim.

It's all excellent. Well done!
Run. Just run.
22-01-2019, 07:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 22-01-2019, 10:56 AM by OutAlongTheRiver.)
Back from Hamburg ...

So the planned 21K didn't happen on Thursday - not least since there wasn't time to prep/pack/get stuff done before we had to head off at 2:30pm to grab the Gatwick flight to Hamburg.  But I had done some short outings in London on Tues (around Coram Fields) and Weds (Russell Square) so at least had turned my legs over.

[post-edit] And I now realise on reviewing this post, that I did in fact do a run on Thursday: I dutifully did a Twitten Run to make up for the one I would be missing on the Sunday. But NB since CC5 really cares about this, this does not go into the official Twitten Run stats. As per normal, I ran up and jogged down, but with no walk or wait at top, I recorded my best ever TR time - under 30 mins, indeed 26:40 from what I can see, which is a Twittens PB that I won't be trying to break any time soon!

Hamburg turns out to be a fabulous city - sort of a vision of how Liverpool could have developed if it had managed to retain a thriving port and then built a strong regional commercial centre.  Temperatures hovered around freezing plus a touch of snow - but clear and bright.

Hamburg Park Run is entirely flat and in beautiful park location by the Ausser Alster - a large lake on the edge of the centre of the city. Ironically, it's already very popular with runners and there might have been more people jogging through the park than on the run itself! There were a handful of English folks helping out with marshalling and on the run. So it was interesting combo of entirely new parkrun folks and very experienced ones.  I was sporting my 50 shirt and another chap from the Midlands his 100. 

We had decided to take it slow for Paula's knee, but in our enthusiasm got round in 25:12. Thankfully that held up fine, so fingers crossed all OK for Almeria.

While we didn't do any more runs, we walked quite a lot each day - and from what I have read in recent running blogs turns out long walks can be quite effective "rest day" recovery activity, which positively helps for running.

We flew back Monday - and took the opportunity of the remaining light to do a 17K run when we reached Lewes - combining the 8k loop up and around Malling Down behind the golf course (in the final strands of light), with the 9K loop around the town itself (in the early evening dark).     

My plan for parkrun this weekend is to see if I can set a new Peacehaven PB for myself by getting round in under 24. Having paced it at 28 for so many times, not sure how I'll find just doing the run for myself!

So all looking on track for Almeria ...
28-01-2019, 07:36 AM,
Monday 28th Jan update

Good week of running - with the Asics HM plan proving very helpful structure on which to hang my training. After the sustitute 17K of Monday, I resumed Tues/Thu weekday runs in London

7K on both Tue and Thu around Regents Park and Coram Fields respectively. Each run required tempo or speed elements - so pushing me to run a little faster in sustained 1.5K or 0.75k bursts during the run. Systematically doing this definitely makes a difference to overall speed.

Saturday saw us shift to hilly Bevendean Down Park Run, rather than flattish Peacehaven, so no new PB there just yet. Given that I felt my PB on Bevendean (24:23) was already quite strong, I thought that was not a realistic target, so set off with intention just to go as quick as reasonably possible. Helpfully in a small field (30+ folks is all that Bevendean really gets) you can get up to speed quickly, and I found myself going head to head with another runner on the first lap. That kept me up to pace, and despite the fact she then pulled away from me on second lap, by the turn at the top I realised a PB was indeed on, so I used the final 1K downhill section to my best advantage. And lo by the end I had indeed done a sub-24 time, just not on the parkrun I had planned! This was 30s off what I already thought was good time for this hilly course. So very pleased as we supped our post-run coffees in the community-run Bevvy pub.

Sunday saw happy return to the twittens (clocking up my 105th), and then a run up to Black Cap and back in the afternoon to add another 14K, to make 19K for the day. Not only was this a beautiful (if blowy and chilly) trip, it was conquering a run demon from August when I had completely blown up on this same route (along the river to Offham and then up old chalk cart track through woods to Mt Harry).

So firmly on track for Almeria - but NOT going for a HM PB there since will be running with my partner and point of run is for us to do it together. So that again takes pressure off any misplaced heroics. I may try to get some sort of trail HM PB for Moyleman in March, though ...
06-02-2019, 09:07 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-02-2019, 08:13 AM by OutAlongTheRiver.)
So to my third run out with the Almeria Half Marathon (Sunday 3 Feb 2019). So much more than just a run in southern Spain - with remarkable group of fellow runners from UK, and amazing Spanish hosts. Lots could be said about the people, the food, drink, buildings, landscape ... But this blog focusses on the run itself.

First time in Almeria in 2017, I wrongly thought that the thorough prep I'd done for my first ever half (Thames River Path) at end October 2016 would see me through with little more than a few 5Ks and twitten outings. Wrong-o. Legs collapsed at 16K and I limped in at 2:16.  My sad recollections at the time are here for posterity ...

Second time in 2018, I picked up the miles from late December and felt just about ready - and managed PB at 1:54, but that hurt quite a bit from 18K in, and I needed the encouragement of fellow UK runners who were breezing round and caught up with me in last 5K.  As indeed my blog post here recorded.

This time I would be running with my partner - the first time running a half together.  I'd been using the Asics training planning - with Moyleman my target, but with this as a useful milestone on the way.  Coinciding with a planned 17K training run, it was meant to fit well.  The mileage since early December had been good - and while I hadn't done anything above 17K, I felt this should be fine.

Worry was Paula's knee - which had become painful 2 weeks before, and chiropractor had now diagnosed as part of a whole back, leg, knee, ankle combo with ligaments becoming inflamed at various points at various stages. But icing, manipulation and gentle runs had proved helpful, so fingers were crossed.

Along with everyone else in the group, we had walked a rather large distance on the Saturday (mainly from beer stop to tapas stop and back via the stadium for race registration), criss-crossing the city - so Sunday would be first outing for a day or so.

We woke early and headed out to find a coffee, ducking into a walk-down hotel cafe for cafe con leche. And there we decided on what might be loosely called a race strategy. We would go out for first 5K at 5:35-5:40 pace (akin to a 28 min Parkrun pacing) - and then see how we felt. Either maintain same, pick it up a little or ease back. And that was it. 

Sunday was as predicted bright, sunny, 15c+ with a light to medium breeze (a fine contrast to the -1C and ice we had left behind in UK). With a different start point this year - being in front of the main exhibition hall - and a much more logical spot than the behind the hall of the last few years. There was a large and as ever friendly crowd, with Spanish mates greeting each other and only a moderate amount of warming up having been done. But these were largely young and speedy bunch. Along with the usual solider regiments of legions - in red, green, yellow and blue, running en masse.

Ash was heading out with our Spanish superhost Antonio - and likely coming in just a little behind us we guessed. David Stacey - likely more speedy - some way ahead with Harvey, for his first time in Almeria. Richard and Jen separately ahead and faster still.  Others from UK were running the later starting 9K with friends and partners, which was a great addition to the UK massive. 

Along with a different start point, the route of the first 10K of the course was also different - covering the flatlands alongside the beach, rather than heading up above the town. Thus it would be very flat - even compared to last years gentle slopes.

Slightly bunched at start, since we were in the mass of the pack, it was good not to start too fast and thus we eased into c: 5:40 pace over the first 5K. We felt good and strong - and having covered much of the ground on the walk day before, it felt familiar territory. 

The mass legions were about 30s-1min behind us and with their mass chants and cheers from crowds when they saw them, they were inspiring. We reckoned they would be aiming for 2 hours (since that's what they had done for last 2 years). 

There was also a small group of half a dozen legion runners in yellow (7th company judging by their shirts) just ahead and we seemed to be keeping pace with them.

The first water station was a little messy as everyone dived for the first provider, while it turned out there was a further half dozen a few yards on. We should have guessed and not panicked ...

We swung onto long south east stretch alongside the railway tracks at 5k ... and the centre of town was in sight. We had settled into a common group of runners - the yellow folks just ahead and Paula was running fine so we pressed on. Our pace upped a little - unspoken between us, but with the sense that this was proving manageable. No knee pains or other discomfort. 

Then as we headed back down the main drag, the Ramblas - with seeming bigger crowds than last year - and with the legions choosing to unleash their most systematic burst of chanting, it was quite an inspiring scene.

Then the route returned to its familiar second 10k - with a seemingly endless stretch out along the port water frontage (but with the fencing, no view over the seas). And the sight of faster runners coming back - we kept a look out for Richard, Jen or David but amongst the masses no sign.

After the turn and a much better navigated water stop, we kept an eye out the other way - and we saw Ash and Antonio around 5 mins behind us and lustily waved.

We had expected the 14-16K section to be tough - as we reached the limits of what we had run before in training - but still had 5-7K to go. We passed by Harvey who was running well, but just a little slower now than we were as we looped around the little pier by the ferry terminal. 

And indeed with the controlled start and then slightly faster sustained pace, we were finding ourselves gradually passing other people - but staying close to the yellows, and ahead of the massed legions. 

We hit the little stadium where the run curiously goes into and around a running track and out again - I was trepidatious since this had been where had blown up in first year and slowed. But both of us continued strong.  I was running just inside myself - by which I feel could maybe have gone minute or two faster but not by much.

At around 18K we slowed a little - and the yellow group moved on ahead. Our agreed strategy if we flagged had been to make sure we know how well we were doing - so I kept telling Paula how well she was doing, and she was indeed. With this psychological encouragement - and with just 2 miles left to go - we resumed our 5:35 pace.

We reached David - who said with leg discomfort he had been walk/running since early on. He must have been doing a fast run on the run sections - since he was still heading for sub-2hrs. 

And thus we found ourselves reaching the stadium and the booming finish music. The final loop around the back of the stadium made the total distance 21.33 - so we had to cover at least an extra 200m and 1 minute or so more ... doesn't sound much on reflection but when you turn a corner and expect the finish to be there but see it 400m down the road it can be hard!

So we crossed the line with 1:56:27 chip time - just 2 mins outside my PB from the year before and better than river path half in 2016 which I had trained pretty thoroughly for.

Paula had indeed done brilliantly - getting round comfortably under 2 hours was above what we had really expected. It was  a great feeling to run together and so well.  Gives us confidence for the next planned halves in Sheffield and Sunderland in April and May ... 

But before that, it's half-half relay Moyleman for us in mid March.

On, on! Smile
07-02-2019, 09:00 PM,
Congratulations, OATR! Beautiful post. It made me relive the race. I'm glad you and Paula managed to do the half under two hours feeling well.

Looking forward to meeting you all soon in Lewes.

Saludos desde Almería

08-02-2019, 07:24 AM,
Great work OATR/Paula, nice running and nice writing. Brings back memories for me, but I'm very glad the two races now have different starting points ... that was utter chaos back in 2017!
Run. Just run.