Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Betanzos
30-05-2004, 04:42 PM,
Betanzos
A couple of months ago I wrote that a new target would be to run the half marathon in Betanzos in under 85 minutes.

What I didn't take into account was that the circuit is all hills. OK, so I wasn't trying for the 85 minutes after all, I'm all signed up for a marathon on 4th July in a place called Toral de lis Vados. It's in the middle of nowhere, between Galicia and Castilla Leon. Today was a fast training run with a 5km race tagged onto the end. Bearing in mind what happened in Vigo, I didn't want to push too hard.

I finished in 1hour 34 minutes which was quite respectable given the hills and the heat. No sun, just heat, which is even worse. Once I finished I had to run back to the car to collect my 'flyers' for the shop to hand out. I was pleased with the response from the runners there. It's probably a shock for them to see some Brit opening up a running shop in the back-end of Spain. We'll see on Tuesday when I open.

I 'raced' last Sunday aswell. There was a 9km 'fun run' in a village called Arteixo - not a well known place except that the fashion shop Zara has it's headquarters there. As I haven't had much time to train, beforehand I told the girlfriend that 42 minutes would be good, over 44 not so good, under 40 bloody excellent. When I stopped the watch on 37'46" I could only think that it was a short course. But who knows, the officials told me it was 9km.

Next Sunday there is a 19km race, Galicia has many wierd distances. I quite fancied this one, but it coincides with a 4.5km fun run in the city centre. I have promised to do this with the girlfriend and another two non-running friends. It'll be good for handing out publicity aswell.

Finally, commiserations to Nigel. I was at Wembly in 96 to see Palace lose in the play-off final ( in the last minute of extra time against Leicester) so I know how it feels. On the brighter side YAY the Palace. What a spectacular job Iain Dowie has done. And thanks to the marvels of internet I could listen to the game on the radio.

Messages In This Thread
Betanzos - by Riazor Blue - 30-05-2004, 04:42 PM
Betanzos - by Nigel - 02-06-2004, 08:20 AM
Betanzos - by Antonio247 - 03-06-2004, 02:41 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vuelta de La Ria - Betanzos 1/2 30/5/04 Riazor Blue 6 2,682 22-04-2004, 10:22 PM
Last Post: El Gordo