Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Random running and remote races.
15-11-2006, 11:44 PM,
Random running and remote races.
This was originally a training diary but it’s turned into a race diary.
The races are actually great training.
For what? For running I suppose. Err, I’ll start again…

When I knackered my ankle at the start of summer I bought a mileometer (or kilometremeter?) for my mountain bike and measured all my old routes. So now I know the exact distances I’ve been running these last few years. Most of the routes turned out to be about a kilometre longer than I’d expected. Did a few sums and decided that I’d got a few hundred extra kms in the bank thanks to the handy little gadget. Great purchase that.

Thanks to the mileometer I know that since September I’ve been doing about 20 miles a week and I also set the vague target of doing a running event every month. This didn’t imply any goals, just an excuse to run a bit faster than normal, with like-minded people (or not) and to get out the house for a couple of hours!
The September event was a 10k which proved to be a little too soon and a little too painful. October was the uphill madness described above which I enjoyed enormously although I find it difficult to explain why (and how). And November’s event was the III Ponferrada Half Marathon. Now I haven’t run a proper half marathon for over 2 years so I was curious as to how I’d get on and guess what? Crossed the finishing line in exactly the same time as I did in the Tipton Half marathon 17 years ago. Now that might mean that I haven’t “improved” at all since 1990 although my inborn optimism counters by saying that I’m as fit as I was when I was 20!

I suppose this is the glass half-full half-empty syndrome.

The race.
It was free and unadvertised. Me and Miguel Mushroom turned up 15 minutes before the start and were given a ticking off for not having registered earlier. Many of us only found out about the half marathon because they sent a letter to any potential runners which arrived (in my case) the day before the race. They let us in anyway.

T’was a 2-lap course around the outskirts of Ponferrada and we mingled dangerously with the Sunday morning traffic along a couple of the main roads. Occasionally we ran past a local policeman/woman strategically placed to wave down or stop cars. There were untidy red arrows painted on the tarmac to show us the way but in places it was fairly easy to take a wrong turning (and I did). Yes, this had all the hallmarks of a Chus Alonso affair, a great athlete, probably a great bloke but who couldn’t organize a borrachera in a cervecería. Perhaps I’m being a bit harsh…

Despite being the best attended half marathon in Bierzo history there were only 79 finishers (although 50 or so more did a shorter 1-lap course). But just check these classifications out; http://www.championchipnorte.com/externo...ARATON.htm
Half the field ran 1:30 or faster! Only 2 runners arrived slower than 1:55. I reckon that the thing was badly publicised (as always) but a lot of fun runners are also put off by the apparent seriousness of it all.
Still, it was better than nowt. And just for finishing they gave me a bottle of Aquarius and something called a “buff” to wrap round my neck during winter. They didn’t give me a prize although there were so many different categories that just about everybody else got one. El Chepas won the Vet-F category for the one lap race finishing just behind Miguel Mushroom. Well done El Chepas!

And finally some conclusions:
Running up hills prepares you for running up hills.
Running off road prepares you for running off road.
20 miles a week is a bit on the short side. In the past I’ve run the same and felt stronger but I did other things as well (cycling, footie, subbuteo…) And now I’m older.
I found it impossible to sustain a regular pace and ached more and longer than in the Morredero mountain pass race last month. My legs felt like they’d endured a right royal battering and I had difficulty walking up the stairs on Monday morning. I reckon my leg muscles aren’t up to flat road races any more (which might be a good thing).

Next stop Lugo. Maybe…

Messages In This Thread
Random running and remote races. - by Sweder - 14-04-2006, 12:24 PM
Random running and remote races. - by El Gordo - 15-04-2006, 11:14 PM
Random running and remote races. - by El Gordo - 20-04-2006, 10:28 PM
Random running and remote races. - by Sweder - 23-05-2006, 09:55 PM
Random running and remote races. - by marathondan - 24-05-2006, 06:04 AM
Random running and remote races. - by El Gordo - 30-10-2006, 08:53 AM
Random running and remote races. - by Sweder - 30-10-2006, 10:00 AM
Random running and remote races. - by Bierzo Baggie - 15-11-2006, 11:44 PM
Random running and remote races. - by marathondan - 16-11-2006, 12:57 PM
Random running and remote races. - by Riazor Blue - 19-11-2006, 09:11 AM
Random running and remote races. - by Antonio247 - 19-11-2006, 03:23 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Old Men Running Bierzo Baggie 7 1,161 15-12-2018, 09:28 PM
Last Post: Antonio247
  Summer running part 2. Bierzo Baggie 4 4,122 28-07-2011, 08:54 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  2010 A running oddity Bierzo Baggie 47 37,809 06-01-2011, 10:02 AM
Last Post: Bierzo Baggie
  Summer running. Bierzo Baggie 33 21,022 04-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  Races and stuff. Bierzo Baggie 54 36,172 02-01-2008, 08:46 AM
Last Post: Antonio247
  Running 2007. Full of good intentions. Bierzo Baggie 16 9,366 10-04-2007, 08:44 AM
  Back up and running. Bierzo Baggie 9 6,363 27-10-2006, 01:08 PM
Last Post: johnb
  December; festive running. Bierzo Baggie 19 10,814 30-12-2005, 03:58 PM