Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
August 2009
02-08-2009, 09:21 PM,
August 2009
Hellifield Gala Fell Race - Saturday 2nd Aug

A contemplative start on the first ascent.
http://www.photos-dsb.co.uk/hellifield%2...large.html

The damage is done.
http://www.photos-dsb.co.uk/hellifield%2...large.html

Another valuable learning experience. Mainly concerning the fact that fell shoes need to be a really snug fit to deal with the fast and uneven descents. It serves me right for trying out new kit in a race.

But descending is also a real skill that will take some time to get half-descent at.

And 3.5 miles turns out to be alot longer than it sounds when the first half is up a big hill. Obvious when you say it like that. Not so obvious when everybody is charging to the end of the first field.

And Junior GM did OK in his first under-10 fell race. I'd say he was the youngest one there. Pushy Dad? Me?
03-08-2009, 12:37 PM,
August 2009
Excellent vest -- and pictures. They capture the moment brilliantly. I couldn't do any of those events at the moment, or any time soon, but they sound great.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
03-08-2009, 12:54 PM,
August 2009
Glad you approve of the attire EG. I had to make-up for the work-sock embarrassment. Actually they are club colours. My first time in them. These events are a great day-out. Borrowdale was the big race on the fell calender this weekend and maybe I can graduate to a Lakeland classic next year. But I was glad to get this one under my belt. One step at a time and all that.
06-08-2009, 11:14 PM,
August 2009
Well, despite the film-maker managing to completely miss Glaconman (not a bad thing on reflection). This gives you a good feel for the race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ycazf4E-I-I
07-08-2009, 09:15 PM,
August 2009
That's a nice document of a small scale UK fell race...thanks for posting it! Loved the shot of a line of runners snaking their way up over the moorland.
04-09-2009, 02:51 PM,
August 2009
August : A Retrospective

It's been a difficult running month. Most of August was spent on holiday in India. Actually 'holiday' isn't a very accurate way to describe a trip to the sub-continent. Test-of-will would be better. Interspersed with pockets of other, more congenial, emotions of course. You can't fail to have some kind of adventure. It's lots of fun. There's no place like it.

The salient running facts are that modern running shoes can no longer be trusted to come out of a washing machine in the same shape they went in. The heel-cup on my trail shoes shrank and became disfigured, giving me terrible blisters. A further attempt at running in sandals cut my feet up again. Add to this heat, humidity and a generous number of bites and other abrasions and you end up with cellulitis, antibiotics and no running.

Which is were I'm at now. Close to my fighting weight and chomping at the bit. But unable to get out of the door.

Still, there was some running to be had in August. Most notably on the beach in Kerala. And along the jungle tracks around my oulaw's farm near Chandrapur.

The beach running was a revelation. As the warm Arabian waves crashed onto the steep beach I found myself running through several, very different surfaces: dry, hot sand; wet sand with a firm foundation; wet sand that allowed me to sink to my ankles; swirling knee-high water; small bluffs of sand providing a few strides of uphill. All-in-all it's something to give you a really good work-out for off-road running, including the muscles in the feet.

I took off as soon as I was able when we got home. But that only excaserbated my foot problems.

So it's forced rest for a few more days now. Time to relax for a while and think about the autumnal months ahead. Traditionally my favorite time of the year. Cool evenings snaking through heather and Beech woods and an Indian summer if we're lucky.
06-09-2009, 09:14 AM,
August 2009
I somehow managed to miss the film of the fell race until now. Great stuff.

Can't imagine running in India in August. Just existing is astonishingly hot. Yes, beach running is a great workout, though to anyone accustomed to road and pavement, it's very tough. Whenever we're on holiday near a beach, a daily run always seems like a good idea, but the execution is always harder than I want it to be. The great George Sheehan used to run for an hour a day along his local beach in Red Bank, New Jersey, always ending it with a dip in the sea, whatever the season.

It's always sad to see the end of the summer, but at least autumn offers another chance to get my running back on track. I agree that it's the best time of year (or arguably equal to the spring) for getting out there. I really hope you manage to sustain your appetite for it. You've been our saving grace through the summer, keeping the torch alight while most of the rest of us have been content to shout up another beer and slice of pizza.
El Gordo

08-09-2009, 09:59 AM,
RE: August 2009
I seem to remember the 400 meter runner Iwan Thomas being a big advocate of beach running and I'm sure he must be one of many.

Kind words that are much appreciated EG. I guess every dog has his day. As a fellow stop-start runner you'll know the seemingly inexplicable feeling of waiting for that day to come then hoping you can seize the initiative. Abit like surfing perhaps.

I even won a trophy earlier in the year. Not a big deal in the scheme of things but something to be proud of nonetheless. Not awarded to the fastest but to the most improved runner over a series. Handicap races turn the usual race format on it's head; giving everybody a chance to cross the line first. There should be more of them.

If I've learnt anything over the last 6 months it's that the key to enjoying running and keep it going is now variety.

What I really enjoyed about your last marathon was the fact that you understood the significance of the event before you ran it. You knew the history and was able to put your own run in context.

In this country there's a great tradition of middle-distance running. But have any of us run a mile at Iffley Road?

Step down the distances. Join a club. Mix it up. And roll back the years.
08-09-2009, 11:39 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-09-2009, 11:42 AM by El Gordo.)
(08-09-2009, 09:59 AM)glaconman Wrote: I even won a trophy earlier in the year.

Fantastic -- well done.

(08-09-2009, 09:59 AM)glaconman Wrote: If I've learnt anything over the last 6 months it's that the key to enjoying running and keep it going is now variety.

I'm sure you're right. Reading starts its "park run" this Saturday (5K weekly event - www.parkrun.org.uk) though I won't be around for it. Am hoping for the following Saturday. Would be good to do a weekly fast run (relatively speaking) as well as the usual road plod. Presuming I get my 'usual plods' back on track.

Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow.
El Gordo

09-09-2009, 12:54 PM,
Well done, and well said g'man. I agree: mixing it up is the best way to enjoy your running, and it often gets you through those bad periods when you just can't get motivated.

Good point too about handicap races. Over here at least the only handicap races seem to be the professional sprints. Certainly I've never even heard of amateur middle and long distance handicapping. I guess there must be clubs somewhere doing it. Good thought.

Smile
Run. Just run.
09-09-2009, 03:11 PM,
(08-09-2009, 09:59 AM)glaconman Wrote: Step down the distances. Join a club. Mix it up. And roll back the years.

I like this a lot.
I'll take the first piece of advice to heart, to avoid injury and delay the inevitable dissapointment that follows a pemature long run attempt.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

10-09-2009, 09:10 AM,
A couple of pics from my decent hols. The beach where I tried out some running and the roads I run on near my in-law's farm.

10-09-2009, 09:31 AM,
(10-09-2009, 09:10 AM)glaconman Wrote: A couple of pics from my decent hols. The beach where I tried out some running and the roads I run on near my in-law's farm.

Looks nice g'man - what sort of temperatures are we talking about there?
Run. Just run.
10-09-2009, 09:56 AM,
(10-09-2009, 09:31 AM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote: Looks nice g'man - what sort of temperatures are we talking about there?

Around 30c give-or-take. But it was monsoon so there can be quite some fluctuation. If the sun comes out after a heavy downpour then you've got some serious humidity to deal with.

It's a wonderful time to visit India. So green and interesting. Although we won't be going back at this time for a while. We saw black scorpions and a cobras. Just too risky for small kids when you're in remote areas. You'll know all about those dangers MLCM.
10-09-2009, 10:03 AM,
(10-09-2009, 09:56 AM)glaconman Wrote: We saw black scorpions and a cobras. Just too risky for small kids when you're in remote areas. You'll know all about those dangers MLCM.

Scorpions? Cobras? Nah - the biggest danger we have around here are the possums pissing on you from the trees.

Wink
Run. Just run.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  August 2010 glaconman 3 2,548 07-09-2010, 02:04 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  July 2009 glaconman 39 16,506 27-07-2009, 03:10 PM
Last Post: Bierzo Baggie
  June 2009 glaconman 18 8,643 02-07-2009, 12:08 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  May 2009 glaconman 8 3,283 27-05-2009, 12:15 PM
Last Post: glaconman