Why does this always happen...
14-03-2005, 02:05 PM,
Have been training fairly well, haven't missed too many long sessions ready for the Wilmslow half next Sunday, then last weekend got smitten by a mystery virus, spent 2 complete days in bed, felt so lousy didn't even read or listen to the radio. Managed to stagger in to work on Thursday, big mistake!

Though I'd better go for a longish run yesterday, managed about 9 and a half but felt lousy. What should I do, rest up completely and see how I feel by the weekend or try and go for a couple of short ones before Sunday?

Last year I was hampered in the same race by a sprained ankle, so was hoping for a better time this year. Had to scratch from a ten mile just before Christmas becuase of illness too, am I doomed to forever train and never race? :-( Is this all I 've got to look forward to now I approach my mid fifities???

Hope you all did well in the Sylverstone yesterday, is it boring just plodding around the race track?
14-03-2005, 02:18 PM,
I am sorry to hear that you are feeling rough. The same thing seems to happens to me;

Running and feeling great start to think about the race fall off curb

Three pints of beer on top of the world have another feel terrible.

Cooking tea enjoying the smell,turn around whole lot incinerated!

I suggest you try and surprise yourself with a race don't let your body see it coming.

Hope you feelbetter soon

plodder
14-03-2005, 02:45 PM,
Lousy luck SW. If I were you, I'd rest up. What will you achieve in a week? not much. Rest and TLC would be better. If you are up for it, go for a short run on Friday. Better to rest and clear the bug completely than train when not 100%. And good luck on Sunday.
14-03-2005, 02:47 PM,
Hi SW

Bad luck, but at least you have a week to recover. I'd run during the week only if and when I felt well. There's no point in running during the week just out of a sense of duty. Concentrate on recovering, perhaps with a short run at the end of the week, then get along to Wilmslow on Sunday and give 'em hell...

Silverstone was good. Some people do find it a rather dull place to run, but for some reason I like the idea of running a race on a... racetrack. I'm philosophical about races. Some are rural and scenic, some are urban and gritty, and some are Silverstone. It's fun, but you have to regard it as one on its own.

Good luck for Wilmslow - keep us updated.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
15-03-2005, 05:04 AM,
Hi SW.
Rest. You gain nothing by running in the week before a race except confidence, and you said yourself your training up to now has been good.
Best of luck for the race.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

15-03-2005, 03:53 PM,
It really is appreciated, I shall take your advice and rest up this week and then just go for it on Sunday. Looking on the brightside - I'm less likely to pick up an injury between now and the weekend!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  It had to happen... Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 6 1,976 12-02-2004, 10:57 PM
Last Post: El Gordo