Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ellen MacArthur
08-02-2005, 06:11 PM,
Ellen MacArthur
Let's raise a glass to Ellen MacArthur.
We long distance runners/ plodders/ waddlers/ lopers know something about digging in, about going on when every fibre screams 'stop'. This amazing woman went through these emotions day after day, week after week, gritted her teeth, dug deep and came through.

I've listened to a heap of drivel on radio 5 today, people sending in messages about sailing not being a 'real sport', this achievement being 'overblown' and all 'media hype'. She may have a support team, all the latest gizmos and gadgets, but ultimately it was one woman and her boat against the oceans. And she beat a Frenchman.

Cheers Ellen.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

08-02-2005, 06:15 PM,
Ellen MacArthur
Indeed. Never pass up the opportunity to get one over on the garlic-sucking surrender monkeys.

Superb achievement. That should be the BBC Sports Personality of the Year award wrapped up! Hasn't she already been made a Dame?
08-02-2005, 06:21 PM,
Ellen MacArthur
There ain't nothin' like one, I'm told.
How's the new booties?

08-02-2005, 06:24 PM,
Ellen MacArthur
Just off out now. Smile
08-02-2005, 07:32 PM,
Ellen MacArthur
Well, your Falmouth correspondent can report that it was a great sight seeing her come into port this morning. Well worth the long wait and so strange to see one of my usual running routes completely overtaken by all the supporters covering the headland.

Amazing achievement. I am hoping to remember her determination next time I am struggling in the bottom 5% of a race. Makes a few miles seem very easy compared to going around the world.
08-02-2005, 07:37 PM,
Ellen MacArthur
Will raise a glass tonight to Ellen. Fantastic achievement, and if I hear one more whinging footballer moaning on and on about "hard work" I will throw them overboard!
08-02-2005, 10:20 PM,
Ellen MacArthur
Sweder Wrote:I've listened to a heap of drivel on radio 5 today, people sending in messages about sailing not being a 'real sport', this achievement being 'overblown' and all 'media hype'.

What is it with the Brits? Why the apparently inbred instinct to bag your sporting champions?

Is it the damp climate? Is it your war-mongering politicians? Or is it just a bloody long time since 1966?
Run. Just run.
08-02-2005, 10:42 PM,
Ellen MacArthur
The world is divided into those who like to stretch themselves in some way, and those who prefer to sit on a sofa watching TV pictures of people stretching themselves in some way.

The world is also divided into those who applaud achievement and those who deride it.

Now I don't suppose there is an exact 1:1 correlation between these two groups, but I bet it isn't far off.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
09-02-2005, 11:28 AM,
Ellen MacArthur
I heard one pundit comparing her achievement to Michael Schumacher and the Ferrarri team, but as far as I know Shuii has never been expected to leap out at the pits and change his own wheels?

Imagine having to shin up the mast to repair it. She had to suffer all that sleep deprivation too. I think her achievement is nothing short of phenomenal.
09-02-2005, 01:16 PM,
Ellen MacArthur
Her boat was far superior to a Ferrari - it was made here in Australia!
Run. Just run.
09-02-2005, 01:31 PM,
Ellen MacArthur
How did I know the colonials would try to take credit for yet another British sporting success? Anyway, I have it on good authority the boat was purchased as a flat-pack from B&Q Smile

09-02-2005, 01:42 PM,
Ellen MacArthur
And let's not forget it was another Aussie, Kay Cottee, who was the first woman to sail solo and non-stop around the globe back in '88.

Attached Files Image(s)

Run. Just run.
09-02-2005, 02:28 PM,
Ellen MacArthur
I could accept boast non-stop . . . Big Grin
We're just jealous that we inadvertently exported all our sporting talent all those years ago

09-02-2005, 06:51 PM,
Ellen MacArthur
I must confess that after a promising start, this thread was worrying me for a little while.

Fantastic sporting achievement. Inspiring, tough, brave, and so much more. All that wonderfully gleeful overuse in the press of those 'it's a marathon, not a sprint' metaphors. Such masterful understatement.

Now for the tricky bit. The previous record was held by a Frenchman. He broke the record by 20 days. That's right, TWENTY. Ellen broke his record by one. That doesn't sound like reason to knock the French. Or their decision-making record in Iraq. It's not as if we're in a strong position to criticise there.

And we have to remember that Ellen was long ago a public hero in France, for finishing second in the Vendee Globe race, and winning the Route du Rhum (both of these being French races). The French took her right to their hearts, long before the British had even heard of her. She speaks perfect French, and lived there happily for long periods during all her various race preparations.

Phew, that's got all that off my chest. And I must say that I do feel much more comfortable again now that we're back to attacking Australians. No worries there, mate.
10-02-2005, 01:16 PM,
Ellen MacArthur
Well said. Vive la France!
10-02-2005, 04:02 PM,
Ellen MacArthur
Dear Sir/Madam,

My congratulations to you on getting a yacht to leave the UK on 28th November 2004, sail 27,354 miles around the world and arrive back 72 days later.

Could you please let me know when the kitchen I ordered 96 days ago will be arriving from your warehouse 13 miles away?

Yours faithfully,

etc Smile