Our RC Half Marathon in Spain
02-02-2005, 07:53 PM,
What a great time we all had in Spain - and the half marathon was even fun! Antonio and his brother went out of their way to welcome us to Almeria and we really appreciated it. Thank you again Antonio!

We behaved ourselves on the Saturday and didn't even think (at least for me) about having a glass of wine or a pint or two. But after the race on Sunday we definitely felt we earned it. The race itself was not the flattest course I've been on...although Andy didn't notice any hills...but we all managed to get good times and finish feeling pretty good. I'll let the more talkative members fill you in on the race...and the whole weekend for that matter!

I just wanted to say that I sure enjoyed meeting some of the people that I only know through the website. Runners are sucha great group of people and we didn't lack for conversation (some more than others!). Great weekend you guys and hopefully we'll meet up again at another race. If only space wasn't such a problem in Lewis.

Adios for now!

Suzie
02-02-2005, 10:26 PM,
Hi there Suzie

Thanks for the message, and great to meet you too at long last. Without wanting to sound patronising, I thought you were pretty brave to pop over from Canada to meet up with a bunch of guys you´d never met before to run the race. I don´t know many women who would have done that. But you did, and you seemed to have as much fun as the rest of us. I´m sure we´ll meet up again - I do hope so. Perhaps in Calgary.

Regards,

Andy & M.
x
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
03-02-2005, 12:01 AM,
Hey Suzie . . . glad you got home safe & sound. I checked as soon as I got home and . . . space is still an issue here in Lewes . . . still, hoping to make room to whip up a Tortilla Espnóla sometime soon.

It was a pleasure to meet you and everyone. You're right - running folk really are the best people. I for one would love to get to run in Calgary. I mentioned this to my family and they are of one voice in approval: provided they get to come with me.

Meanwhile if you ever reach these shores between now and then let us know . . . we'll find some proper hills for you.

ps: Went to see Sideways tonight - marvellous movie! Also bought Enduring Love yesterday, my first McEwan. I could mail it to you after I read the first chapter; that would make it a McEwan's Export . . .

. . . sorry, sorry . . . yes, I am . . . very ashamed . . .

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

03-02-2005, 08:30 AM,
Hola, Suzie.

It was great to meet you in Almería and being overtaken by you in the last kilometres although I´d rather have been able to keep your pace and arrive together at the finish in the stadium. I´m glad you´re safe at home after such a long journey.

I´ll be great to meet you again. I wish I could also go to Calgary.

Saludos desde Almería

Antonio

03-02-2005, 08:41 AM,
...and it was looking pretty tight in there... Big Grin

Good to meet you Suzie, and glad you've got back to your 20 below ok! Yes it was a lot of fun, and Andy's right, what you were happy to do took balls. So much so that after we left you, we decided to make you an honoury 'one-of-the-lads'!!

In case you are wondering, this is one of the highest titles a group of blokes can bestow on a lass.....and it's not given away lightly!

Hope we can all meet again someday, I believe the Calgary half is worth running! Wink
03-02-2005, 05:11 PM,
Wow! An honourary 'one of the blokes' - I'm almost speechless, and feeling greatly honoured - truly!

You're going to have to fill Andy in on what the 'space issue' is in Lewes (I notice I spelt it wrong in my first post, oops!). I still chuckle when I think of that.

Just in case any of you might think about the Calgary half - here's the website with all the info (http://www.calgarymarathon.com). It's a fairly flat course, although there was a couple of short inclines in the marathon...Andy wouldn't notice those. The Stampede is on at the same time so it's quite a party atmosphere the whole week - the whole city gets into it - you'll be exhausted by the end of the week.

Next time I'm in your part of the world I'll let you know and maybe we can get together for a run or two.

Adios for now! (I'm going to have to see Sideways soon - and I'll check out those books you mentioned)

Suzie
03-02-2005, 07:24 PM,
It was very good to meet you, Suzie, and I echo the admiration of your willingness to travel to the event. Hopefully the shared experience of a major race with both the RC team and Haile Gebreselassie will lead to further excursions in the future.

And well done on an excellently plotted and executed race. Hope to see you in Calgary one day.....

Nigel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  3 hour radio celebration of marathon running today El Gordo 9 22,837 18-11-2017, 02:08 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  2013 World Athletics Championships Marathon Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 0 6,069 17-08-2013, 10:13 PM
  Almería Half Marathon, 28 Jan 2007 El Gordo 139 114,646 01-04-2013, 10:31 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  London Marathon Stories Sweder 2 10,378 30-04-2012, 12:23 PM
  sub 2-hour marathon glaconman 0 8,943 12-04-2011, 10:31 AM
Last Post: glaconman
  marathon nerves johnnyb 20 12,925 28-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Katy.a
  race report two oceans marathon amit 5 4,928 27-04-2008, 09:51 PM
  training update two oceans marathon amit 12 8,349 25-03-2008, 01:28 PM
Last Post: Seafront Plodder
  Whos doing the Dublin Marathon 2007 Gersrunning 27 14,542 25-01-2008, 09:27 AM
Last Post: lizoconnortalk21
  2008 London Marathon Places Grooms-Shaftesbury 0 2,676 14-01-2008, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Grooms-Shaftesbury