Thud - but not for me
30-11-2004, 10:04 AM,
Thud - but not for me
Well, talk about insult to injury, I'm failry sure I don't have a place in the FLM, having bequethed my entrance fee and cheque cashed on the wrong day, got home yesterday to find an FLM acceptance for my husband...Damn and blast him, he swore he wasn't going to enter, had no interest in doing a marathon at all and then after lying through his teeth, on his first flaming attempt he gets in....there is just no justice in the world, am feeling more than a little put out, to cap it all, after being sick last week, am now going down with some throat infection. Think I'll attempt hibernation.
Phew this is hard work !
30-11-2004, 10:39 AM,
Thud - but not for me
I've got a 100% record too. One application, one entry.

I'm sure you're planning to be as helpful and as understanding to your old man as possible all through the winter and spring. He needs all your support and sympathy.

Big Grin

Seriously SW, why not pick up a charity place and join him? I'm sure he'd be willing to help you raise the cash. If you could each drum up about £500-£700 of sponsorship you'll be able to run.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
30-11-2004, 03:14 PM,
Thud - but not for me
maybe it has something to do with you both being called Andy??? I've thought about a charity place but its an awful lot of money to raise, I don't work for a rich organisation who double what you raise, and don't have a lot of free time, although if I had got a ballot place I was going to collect for the Lifeboats - wehat still really annoys me is he said he def. wasn't going to enter - grrrr
Phew this is hard work !
30-11-2004, 04:03 PM,
Thud - but not for me
This is exactly the sort of reason why I would never have a husband! Rolleyes

30-11-2004, 09:26 PM,
Thud - but not for me
"Andy" is a female name as well, so why not just cobble his training and then use his entry?
Run. Just run.
30-11-2004, 09:35 PM,
Thud - but not for me
Isn't it Andi? Or is that just an affectation?

But still, I suppose that's a moderately ingenious suggestion....

Hurumph.
El Gordo

01-12-2004, 10:28 AM,
Thud - but not for me
he filled in his form very correctly with Andrew, the git, mind you, he thinks he might defer for a year just in case I get in next year - hhhmm, I still haven't even got my rain jacket...just going down the garden to injest a few worms....

On a training note, my throat is killling me, managed a slow 3 miles yesterday, but don't know if I can repeat it today, seem a bit off track with Hal H's intermediate 15 k schedule, but plan to stick to the 8 miles next Sunday if I'm feeling up to a waddle.

Does anyone know the received wisdon on training through cold/virus?
Phew this is hard work !
01-12-2004, 10:37 AM,
Thud - but not for me
stillwaddler Wrote:Does anyone know the received wisdon on training through cold/virus?

Yes. Don't do it. It'll only knock you back and you'll lose more that way than you would if you didn't at all.......err, I think.

I feel rough at the moment as well, although being a bloke it's probably flu, or leprosy or some such serious thing.

Attached Files Image(s)

01-12-2004, 10:57 AM,
Thud - but not for me
Depends how bad it is, and where it's affecting you. This is a big generalisation, but if it's affecting your chest, and therefore your breathing, best to stay at home. Personally, I've found that if it's just a sore throat/cough/runny nose, I'm OK to run. My very modest 10K PB was set when I was coming out of a bad cold. Decided to run only an hour or two beforehand. Arguably, getting some fresh air and mild exercise can help.

But definitely one of those "listen to your body" times. If you feel properly ill, avoid running.
El Gordo

02-12-2004, 09:07 AM,
Thud - but not for me
for sound advice, aching rather a lot today, so don't think I will venture out, hasn't settled on my chest yet, but throat feels like someone is sharpeing knives in it. If it carries on for more than another couple of days I may have to scratch from the ten miler...

On a lighter note, I received my FLM rain jacket yesterday. Poo
Phew this is hard work !
05-12-2004, 09:21 AM,
Thud - but not for me
Yesterday morning when I came back from training for 50 minutes to check how I was since I haven´t been able to go for a run since Wednesday due to a lower backache which made me go to my phisiotherapist on Friday i took the mail out of the letter box and found a letter with a Royal mail postmark from London. As I expected my application to FLM hadn´t been lucky. This is the text inside the letter :

Dear Runner

We regret that we have to advise you that your application to run in the 2005 Flora London Marathon has not been successful due to massive over-subscription.

However, if you still wish to run please see over-leaf where we show a list of tour operators in your country who may be able to help you enter the 2005 Flora London Marathon.

Yours sincerely

David Bedford

Race Director

Well, maybe next year since I don´t feel like spending around 750 euros for the flight, two nights at a hotel and the race number. Anyway, I´ll go to Reading half marathon.

Greetings from Almería

05-12-2004, 10:01 AM,
Thud - but not for me
In the term for a 'collection' of tour operators!

Spoilsport.

Attached Files Image(s)

05-12-2004, 11:05 AM,
Thud - but not for me
Bad luck, Antonio. There'll be other years.

Reading will be enjoyable too.
El Gordo

05-12-2004, 03:46 PM,
Thud - but not for me
Stillwaddler, if hubby doesn't defer, come April make sure you have a really stinking cold, or flu, or chickenpox. Even if he doesn't catch it, the anxiety will put him off. It'll serve him right for entering - and being accepted.
06-12-2004, 12:16 PM,
Thud - but not for me
commiserations Antonio, I'm going to do a haldf next spring also. RB, good idea, now, if I can just bottle this throat virus...my youngest has it too, but his is officially tonsillitis, mine isn't - I haven't got any tonsils :-)

Looking increasingly unlikely that I can run on Sunday - ah well, there is always next year.

Hope everyones running is going well. and may I be the first to say

Happy Christmas!
Phew this is hard work !
11-12-2004, 12:33 AM,
Thud - but not for me
Hey SW, if you're thinking about a charity place (and not already committed to a charity) drop me a line. I'm involved with Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) - raising funds for research to help insulin depenadent kids. You still have to raise a lot of money, but JDRF are excellent in helping and suggesting ideas. This will be my third year trying to raise 1500 quid - I'm going to throw a 70's/ 80's disco sometime in February. If I get the hall for free, rope in a dodgy DJ and get Seafront Plodder to do a live croon I reckon I'll pull in around 400 - 500 notes - not a bad start . . .

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

11-12-2004, 02:00 AM,
Thud - but not for me
Why not drop the 'promise' of Seafront Plodder and get an extra few hundred quid on the door?
El Gordo

11-12-2004, 10:23 AM,
Thud - but not for me
Ooooh, that was nasty. I'm sure SP's voice is not sooooo bad that a few pints can't fix it.

Maybe the two Andy's could do a duet? I'd pay to hear that Rolleyes
Run. Just run.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thud!!! Seafront Plodder 14 3,860 11-12-2004, 12:25 AM
Last Post: Sweder