Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RSS feed
24-10-2004, 11:38 PM,
RSS feed
Any chance of an RSS feed? I'm generally too lazy and/or forgetful to check back here for a new entry. An RSS feed would allow my spiffy news reader to do all the hard work for me (apart from the exhausting bit of moving my eyes left to right and back again).

Thanks,

Paul
25-10-2004, 07:45 AM,
RSS feed
RSS feed? Is this something to do with the Royal Statistical Society's Christmas party?

I think I need to do some research. Will report back.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
25-10-2004, 08:36 AM,
RSS feed
Paul, well done on finding the energy to type a post. Big Grin
25-10-2004, 08:43 AM,
RSS feed
Quote:Originally posted by Unregistered
An RSS feed would allow my spiffy news reader to do all the hard work for me

What's your spiffy news reader?

Just checked out RSS feeds. Looks like a good idea. I'll attend to it. Could be a good thing to throw into the new site. I'm scratching around for innovations. Cheers.

(Are you Paul The Major Genius, incidentally?)
El Gordo

27-10-2004, 01:05 PM,
RSS feed
Quote:Originally posted by andy
What's your spiffy news reader?

Just checked out RSS feeds. Looks like a good idea. I'll attend to it. Could be a good thing to throw into the new site. I'm scratching around for innovations. Cheers.

(Are you Paul The Major Genius, incidentally?)

I use NewsGator because I spend most of the day in Outlook. About $20 but there are free RSS readers around too - a google should find some. There are client based ones or online ones like http://www.bloglines.com. Most of the 'personal sites' link you have are blogs which can be read through a newsreader (and I do my own little humble one over at http://www.labrose.com).

Major Genius, you're too kind. You must be thinking of someone else though.
--
Paul
27-10-2004, 01:26 PM,
RSS feed
Most people called Paul are geniuses in my experience. And you certainly sound like one.

Thanks for the info - I'll look into it at the weekend.
El Gordo

25-06-2005, 10:49 PM,
RSS feed
Just resurrecting this thread because I've been looking at RSS feeds again, and have decided to definitely do it. Look out for the little orange label in the next few days....
El Gordo

03-07-2005, 11:53 AM,
RSS feed
to Andy/ Running Commentary. I've been away (from cyberspace, anyway) recently and just noticed the Runner's World accolade on the front page, just to the right of what appears to be a wanted poster for a band of desperados . . .

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

03-07-2005, 12:04 PM,
RSS feed
I needed a change of scenery.

Did you get my PM about this? I was asking the inhabitants of that picture whether they minded, but haven't had any replies, so maybe it didn't work.
El Gordo

03-07-2005, 06:44 PM,
RSS feed
andy Wrote:I needed a change of scenery.

Did you get my PM about this? I was asking the inhabitants of that picture whether they minded, but haven't had any replies, so maybe it didn't work.

It worked. I don't mind. So I didn't reply.

I hope you don't mind. I don't. Big Grin
03-07-2005, 11:05 PM,
RSS feed
I'm carp at reading PMs. I'm pleased as punch we're on the cover.
Remeniscent of Sir Paul's Band on the Run album cover (sans poses).

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

03-07-2005, 11:07 PM,
RSS feed
OK, cheers, so it's only law-suits from Nigel and Suzie that I have to worry about now....
El Gordo

04-07-2005, 07:28 PM,
RSS feed
I was actually quite excited to see our picture on your site when I opened it up this morning - feel almost famous! I've been away for a week - bailing water at my parent's place and other fun stuff.

Suzie
05-07-2005, 08:16 AM,
RSS feed
suzieq Wrote:I've been away for a week - bailing water at my parent's place and other fun stuff.
Suzie

You Canadians certainly know how to enjoy yourselves.... Smile

Good to hear from Suzie.

BTW, I just noticed that the graphic on the front page is a bit wide. If you're using a 1024 x 768 screen, you'll have to turn off your Favourites (er, sorry, "Favorites") to get the intended layout. I may have to reduce it, or turn it into a thumbnail.

On the subject of pics, I've got tons from Almeria that I really must put up sometime soon.
El Gordo

05-07-2005, 09:00 AM,
RSS feed
Hi Andy
You'll be hearing from my lawyers shortly. I've instructed them to settle out of court for a bag of Walkers' crisps and a new motivational video (that one's especially for all you Liverpool fans out there).
Nigel
05-07-2005, 04:49 PM,
RSS feed
It´s wonderful to open this website and see you in my hometown with Almería half marathon T-shirt. Whenever I go to the city centre and pass along that fountain at La Rambla, I remember the great time we spent here. I also had you in my mind last Saturday when I saw the Mediterraean Games half marathon at carretera de Sierra Alhamilla and avenida Cabo de Gata. Later, I walked to the stadium to see the runners arriving at the stadium going down that ramp and doing one lap and a half at the track. In the evening, I watched other competitions with a very good atmosphere in a stadium filled with people.

It would be great if you and any other forumites could come next year. I don´t know yet when the half marathon will be. Probably, the last Sunday in January.

Saludos desde Almería Greetings from Almería
Antonio

05-10-2005, 08:15 AM,
RSS feed
Hi Andy,

I've recently subscribed to your RSS feed but I notice that your recent posts aren't included. Is this due to an oversight on your part on can it be blamed on software? :-)

Well done on completing your first mile - I hope you realise that a marathon will take nearly 105 years at this rate...

More seriously, re your "what happens when I decide to do a marathon?", I think a marathon is a special project that requires several months' preparation. There's no shame in setting yourself a single, well-defined goal. It's just when your whole running career becomes a rolling goal that things can get depressing.

Cheers

Dan
05-10-2005, 10:38 AM,
RSS feed
Hi Marathondan, and welcome to the forum. Yes, you're right about the RSS feed; it's slipped recently, but is on my lengthy to-do list. I'll push it up the order a bit.

You're probably right about marathon training too - certainly it's the usual wisdom that's passed around, even though younger, fitter guys than me seem to be able to decide on the day. Essentially, I was trying to think myself out of a mindset that you touched on in the last paragraph. I think that has been the problem, and one of my own making. I don't seriously question the need to have a plan for a marathon, though in much the same way that the football underdogs are often accused of giving their opponents "too much respect", I reckon that we do run the risk of getting too paranoid about training schedules. As in most things, there's a balance to be struck, and a need to steer yourself between the Scylla and Charybdis of over-exertion and laziness. That's the territory I'm exploring at the moment, and am having to lie my way through it a bit.

Does that make sense?

Anyway, the name is irresistible, so.... marathons: where've you been and where are you headed.........?

Cheers

Andy
El Gordo

06-10-2005, 11:02 AM,
RSS feed
Hi Andy,

Thanks for the welcome. I've been reading you for a while but never got round to joining. So I should say thanks for some excellent writing - some of it even about running.

I think the problem with avoiding the "rolling goal" scenario is that, unless you're a decent club runner or better, and you want to do 2-3 marathons a year, then you'll find yourself on a schedule of some sort for at least half the year anyway. Which begs the question why to do 2-3 marathons per year - but that's a whole other topic...

As for me, where I've been is your all-time favourite marathon this year (detailed here: http://marathondan.blogspot.com). The moniker is a bit outdated as I've failed to keep up much running since, so I don't have anything much planned for the future right now. However, I'm in Maidenhead, so I might see you at Cliveden or the Easter 10.

Cheers

Dan
06-10-2005, 11:33 AM,
RSS feed
A belated well done on your 3:50 London Marathon, Dan. I enjoyed your report, and agree with the observation about how tiring and distracting it can be to look for someone in the crowd (though it's always worth it when you see them, he added quickly).

I've sent off my entry for Cliveden, so if you're doing it, perhaps I'll see you in front of those gates. I enjoyed it last year, though I took it very slowly in the slippery conditions. It was nice just to be in those woods on a frosty Christmas morning.

Re the RSS feed, I'm just waiting for my software to be enabled as the trial had run out, so that should be restored in the next day or two. Thanks for the nudge.
El Gordo