Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Genuine Mid Life Crisis
15-10-2004, 11:55 AM,
Genuine Mid Life Crisis
My unease over the last few weeks about my state of health and lack of running form came to a sudden and totally unexpected conclusion last Tuesday when I landed in the Critical Care Unit of my local hospital with debilitating chest pain. This turned out to be pericarditis - an inflammation of the tissue that covers the outer surfaces of the heart, and which does a pretty darn good job of imitating a heart attack. Although it can be a serious condition, mine was a relatively mild case. None the less, I spent three days hooked up to heart monitors and underwent so many tests with so many cables attached to multitudinous parts of my body that I couldn't help but think of that scene from The Matrix where Neo awakens and breaks out of his pod... hmm.

It all happened the day before my 43rd birthday too. Rolleyes The doctors more or less concluded that this was all the end result of the virus I have had for the last several weeks... fairly minor in impact until this rather more violent episode.

And if you're asking yourselves the same question I immediately asked myself, it's OK - the doctors assured me this afternoon that no, running played no part in it ... it was purely bad luck and running or not would have made no difference. Nor will it impact my running in the future once I'm fully recovered. So that was a relief.

Other than the attack itself, being in hospital for three days gave me two lasting impressions. Firstly, the obvious one is that hospitals are full of really sick people. And when you are surrounded by really sick people, you realise just how important it is to put in a bit of an effort into maintaining your health. This was reinforced by the other major impact... even when hooked up to the heart monitors, I could see Black Hill through my window, which is the site of the Black Hill Challenge on October 31st ... the 14km hill climb I mentioned previously. In fact once they moved me to a general ward I had a superlative view of the entire course, and boy, did that ever motivate me to get out of there and back into it. I had the stark choice facing me right there... to my right through the window the glorious Adelaide Hills full of sensational running and vibrant health, and to my left was a room full of slightly older men with heart, liver and prostate problems. And it struck me that running is an amazing privilege and a great gift that both prolongs and improves the quality of our lives.

I have now had all those tests that my GP has been telling me for years to have done regularly. And there's useful information in those figures they give back to you. I now understand the significance of HDL and LDL, the meaning of the two numbers in your blood pressure reading, and I'm beginning to see how they they can help me improve my running, which in turn improves those test results, which naturally improves my life. And I properly understand now why it's important to not just listen to your body, but to actually take the trouble to have the warning signs checked out. I can't kid myself that I'm in my 20s anymore. And while 43 certainly isn't old, it's simply ridiculous not to take your body seriously when it tries to tell you something.

And incidentally, I now have something in common with Bob Dylan... he too had pericarditis. In fact it was that which nearly killed him back in '97. My case was much less severe (though you may not have thought so had you seen me in the intensive care unit!), but it's a nice conversation starter. Well, perhaps ... if you have as black a sense of humour as me that is.

At the very least all you forum-viewers, make sure you know your cholesterol count and blood pressure! And keep your health insurance up to date. There. Mother has spoken.

[pic of me in recovery ... silly hat part of the dehumanising process found in any hospital]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Run. Just run.
15-10-2004, 03:07 PM,
Genuine Mid Life Crisis
Wise words, MLCM.

Very sorry to hear about the illness, but good that it wasn't more critical. I'm sure that this sort of 'warning' can be a good thing. It also explains why we've not heard much from you recently.

Running is indeed a great privilege, and joking aside about my own inept performances, I'm still very lucky compared with many.

I'm sure we'll all spare you a thought next time we're out there.

Get well soon,

Andy

PS Bought a dirt-cheap copy of Donnie Darko from the supermarket today on your recommendation. Presumably cheap because of the new Director's Cut version that's out, or coming out. Will aim to watch it this weekend.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
15-10-2004, 03:58 PM,
Genuine Mid Life Crisis
we are indeed fortunate. I know a couple of people for whom a car accident has led them to understand their own vulnerability. I suspect so it is with health.

We are the same age MLC man, and yes I will run my 6 miles tonight with you in mind (along with Bob Marley!). Wink Speedy recovery, oh antipodean one.

Although you were lucky the doc didn't administer some sort of lethal injection just for that hat! Eek
16-10-2004, 04:57 PM,
Genuine Mid Life Crisis
Hello, MLCM

I´m glad you´re better now. It´s surprising how things turn when we less expect it. However, as the Spanish proverb says "No hay mal que por bien no venga", which means that we should see the positive aspect in the negative things we may encounter.

I´ll go for a run with you in my mind as soon as I get better from some discomfort in my right calf, which makes me stop after 12-15 minutes and go on walking.

Well, I expect you get all right soon and can go on training for your next race.

Ah, happy birthday, too. We both are libra but I´m thre years older.

Best wishes

Antonio

17-10-2004, 05:56 PM,
Genuine Mid Life Crisis
Sorry to hear you've been in hospital MLCM, but glad to hear you're now feeling better and looking forward to running again. I best go and check out the health insurance! - must admit at one point today when running Bridlington Half I did think I was about to collapse but did, finally, make it to the finish.
17-10-2004, 09:37 PM,
Genuine Mid Life Crisis
Scary stuff, MLC Man. Very glad to hear that it wasn't quite as bad as it might have been. Was it the excitement of that Australian election result which gave you a funny turn .... ?

No worries, mate. It sounds like Black Hill is still there waiting for you once you've fully recovered. It'll be there for a while longer, so don't rush things or overdo it on the way back into your running again,
18-10-2004, 10:57 AM,
Genuine Mid Life Crisis
Thanks for all your thoughts and wishes everyone - much appreciated Smile

Had a chat with my doctor this afternoon, and got the awful truth... His thinking is that I need to build up my running "gradually" over the summer period and monitor my progress "carefully". This is not what I really wanted to hear, and I think he's being somewhat over cautious, but as my wife wholeheartedly agreed with him (she was there) I was left with not a lot of option but to go against the grain and be conservative for once in my life. I mean jeepers, it was bad enough getting lumbered again with a conservative government, now I have conservative medicos coming out of my ears too.

So anyway, what I have agreed to do is to take it "very" Rolleyes carefully for the next 4 weeks, have another blood test and re-assess things with the doc then.

This puts a majorly massive dent in my training, so it makes Hobart look decidely unlikely, but I guess it'll still be there in another 12 months, and there are other races in between.

One good thing about the recent drama was to come across a heap of good medico jokes. My favourite...

Q) What's the difference between God and a cardiologist?
A) God doesn't think he's a cardiologist... Big Grin

Where'd I put my walking frame?
Run. Just run.
18-10-2004, 01:50 PM,
Genuine Mid Life Crisis
I remember a correspondence on the Hal Higdon forum about doctors and running. The consensus, based on experience, seemed to be that doctors who don't run themselves have little idea what they're talking about, will always err on the side of caution, and will almost always advise you to stop, or to take it very slowly. Doctors who DO run will usually encourage you to carry on. So the advice, whenever someone complained about their doctor telling them to stop running was usually: see another doctor, and preferably one who runs.

But perhaps an impending marathon is a different thing. When is it - January? Hmmm. Could be tricky. I'm sure you'll be fine for the day, but it's all the training you'll be missing, of course. Hard to catch up with once it's gone. In fact, one of the rules of the game is that you shouldn't try to catch up with missed training because it isn't possible.

Bad luck, mate.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.