Great North Run
23-09-2004, 07:57 PM,
Great North Run
Wow, hasn't September flown by. All of a sudden I've found that I've only got another two days before the Great North Run and I've definitely not done enough training. I don't suppose there's any point at all now trying to make up for lost time, I may as well just accept that it's not going to be a "race" just a "long training run" and see what happens. Anyway, if I get a really naff time I'll just blame it on the amount of people running! I'll let you know what happens after Sunday.
23-09-2004, 10:32 PM,
Great North Run
If you start near the back, you can legitimately argue that 47,000 people got in your way.

On the other hand, if you start up front and throw a ball in front of you... Wink

Either way, have a great time and enjoy it. And if you happen to be running alongside the great Aussie athlete Benita Johnson, say 'hi' for me and help her out with her pacing... it's been a long time since an Aussie won over there.
Run. Just run.
24-09-2004, 08:04 AM,
Great North Run
Best of luck JP, its the same with most mass events, you'll be unlikely to do a pb, but you should have a ball (!!!!) on the way round, hope the weather stays good for you, forecast looks OK. What sort of time are you attempting and are you going to tell us your number so we can look out for you on the telly?
Phew this is hard work !
25-09-2004, 10:24 AM,
Great North Run
Good luck YP. Tell us all about it next week.

Don't plan on leaving South Shields too soon. If you're driving, try to park a little out of town. If you park in the designated car parks, it'll take you hours to get away.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
25-09-2004, 12:57 PM,
Great North Run
Number 33013, hoping to get round in about 2 hours 10 - so don't go watching the telly from the start or you'll have a long wait! Managed to get away from the finish quite quickly last year so hopefully be able to park somewhere similar. Anyway, must go and eat pasta now!!
27-09-2004, 06:41 AM,
Great North Run
Well, I'm still alive (just)!
Saturday afternoon - a leisurely drive up to Newcastle to stay at friends, an airbed on someone's elses floor isn't an ideal night before a race but it did save setting off too early yesterday and allowed us to take a car to South Shields ready for us at the finish.
Sunday morning - a stroll down to the start and take in the enormity of the whole event. Watched the start of the wheelchair race and women's elite (thinking they'd probably all be home, showered and fed before I'd finished!). Was with some friends who run quite a bit faster than me so we all managed to start relatively near the front. It seemed ages before the start and packed in like sardines isn't the time to wonder whether you need the loo again, persuaded myself it was just nerves and ignored it - thankfully it was OK!
The gun finally set us off and we were very quick over the start line, only about three and a half minutes. I'd set Graham (Forerunner virtual partner) to run with me aiming for 2 hours 5 minutes, so had to keep up with him. Most of the race just seemed to drift by, I need to concentrate on breathing and keeping my legs moving so that I'm pretty unaware of what's going on around me. One thing that I do remember is running behind two blokes dressed in clowns outfits and a little girl in the crowd shouting "Oh, look at those clowns", the guy running next to me at the time said "Who's she talking about, there's 47,000 of us!" At the time it seemed quite funny. The crowds along the route and the bands really help to motivate you. It was really odd because normally in a race I am counting down towards the finish and willing it to be over but, strangely, I was actually enjoying running this one! Eventually after the final uphill section I could see the sea, it's a fantastic moment when you realise that you're nearly there, but that last mile is a really long one but there are so many spectators you really feel like you have to give it that one last push. Finally made it over the finish line with the clock showing just under 2 hours 6 minutes, my actual stopwatch (Graham) time being 2 hours 2 minutes and 42 seconds. One day I will get under that 2 hour barrier!
27-09-2004, 08:39 AM,
Great North Run
Well done YP, that's not a bad time at all for the GNR, with all that congestion and jostling. I watched it on TV over a leisurely breakfast, which seemed like a better way to enjoy the race...

As you know, I have a few grumbles about the logistics, but I have to admit it's a great event. The sight of those 40-odd thousand people winding through Newcastle is pretty amazing. I'm sure it will have inspired a few people to de-couch and get running. Not that I'm one to preach at the moment. I've had a bad week or two, but all will be well again within a few days.

Incidentally, what distance did your Forerunner log for the race?
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
27-09-2004, 08:50 AM,
Great North Run
Nice run YP, well done!

I too watched much of it from my armchair, the only sensible way I thought.

Judging by the numbers it looked impossible to settle into any sort of rhythm. You done good.

Anything to encourage Andy to get off his arse must be worth it! Big Grin
27-09-2004, 10:14 AM,
Great North Run
Excellent work YP, well done! I cannot comprehend running in a crowd that size - must have been very tough going in many respects.

What's next on your running calendar?
Run. Just run.
27-09-2004, 03:48 PM,
Great North Run
Forerunner reckoned it was 13.26, which I thought wasn't too bad at all considering the weaving about I was doing and the flyovers etc. at the beginning.
Breakfast at that time of the morning! - you'd have had plenty of time for a run before watching it.
Got another half marathon at Bridlington in three weeks, should be slightly less people running that one!
27-09-2004, 04:41 PM,
Great North Run
Congratulations, YP. That's a brilliant time for the GNR, considering those hills and especially all that traffic. It's just like running down the street with the entire crowd of St James' Park for company. Except even busier.

If you can do 2:02 in Newcastle, then you will surely crack 2 hours by some distance at your very next attempt.

Although agreeing with many of the criticisms which are made of the race, it is certainly a great event, with a unique atmosphere. I guess you have to take the positives out of every run, and the GNR is one of the most famous in the world. For sheer scale, emotion and celebration it is surely hard to beat.

Well run, and well done for running it.
29-09-2004, 09:58 AM,
Great North Run
Am full of admiration, great time for a mass event YP, I too watched on the telly, but did rather sheepishly go out for a 5 miler afterwards.
30-09-2004, 09:20 PM,
Great North Run
Well done YP, you made it sound easy, 2 hours in Bridlington should be well on the cards.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PMP my run marathondan 9 4,381 23-01-2009, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  Legends of the Long Run Sweder 0 1,285 23-12-2008, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  first long run johnnyb 2 1,777 11-12-2007, 12:12 AM
Last Post: El Gordo
  Sunday Run 4 June 2006 gary c 3 1,982 03-06-2006, 07:25 AM
Last Post: steve scott
  "Run for Glory" marathondan 1 1,567 17-03-2006, 06:47 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  Last run? MissChampers 10 3,673 02-10-2005, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  Great North Run - short review JP the Dream Chaser 5 2,328 20-09-2005, 06:43 PM
Last Post: MissChampers
  Anyone doing the Great North Run? JP the Dream Chaser 18 8,542 06-09-2005, 04:53 PM
Last Post: suzieq
  Has anyone run Munich or Essen marathon? shelagh 5 2,510 23-05-2005, 05:57 PM
Last Post: shelagh
  Recovery run - how long? Seafront Plodder 6 2,691 11-01-2005, 01:09 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man