Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
August.
31-08-2004, 08:22 PM,
August.
This month has been all about hills. How to maintain a reasonable pace going uphill without exploding, and how to bomb down the other side as fast as possible.

22nd August was the running of the Baiona 10k. The course starts sedately with a 1km amble along the seafront then rises about 250m over 3.5km. Next it's more or less all downhill until 2km from the finish, when we join the seafront again.

Last year I ran this in a shade under 47 minutes. This year I wanted to improve.

So I have been practicing hills. Short ones on hill reps, long ones on long runs, steep ones, little inclines.... You get the picture.

The half marathon in Betanzos in May was 'undulating'. Going uphill I was usually overtaken by a few runners, one of whome was at least 70 years old. Going downhill I didn't really gain much, it was only on the flat where I regained my position. So I wanted Baiona to be different.

For hill reps I have been using the side of Mont San Pedro. I think I have mentioned it before. The climb is around 60m over a distance of 400m. After a 15 minute jog from the shop to the hill I have been doing 6 reps. Hard running up, recovery on the way down. The best thing about this session is jogging along the seafront before and after the hills. Well, on the days when there is sun at least. Riazor Beach is a splendid sight on a sunny afternoon.

I have been doing another session in A Zapateira, which readers may remember as being a bloody great big hill with a load of posh housing estates. There's a road leading down the back which has very little traffic and lasts for around 3.5km. This is where I have been honing my stamina going uphill, and my technique for going downhill. I have come to the conclusion that uphill running is just very hard work, but downhill running is technique (and bloody hard work).

Some of my longer runs have been hilly affairs aswell, Bens Park has been built a little way out of the city and has been built on an old quarry/landfill site. There's a fitness trail there which is a 2km course which does quite a bit more than 'undulate'. Seven or eight times around the course is quite sufficient for a Sunday morning, but it does wonders for the appetite before lunch with the in-laws.

Soooooo... On 15th August there was a little 6km race in a little village called Oleiros. Beforehand I had no idea how the course was, but was pleased to see that it was a little hilly. There were only about 75 of us ranging from a 4 year old to an 85 year old. Most were from the village but there were a few runners I recognised either from other races or from the shop. The training obviously helped because I ran in 22' 40", finishing in a respectable 4th for the over 35s (it should have been 3rd but after racing against one guy for half the race, I let him pass me at the finish because he was slightly older than me - never again though).

The race in Baiona was on the following Sunday. The day before, ETA exploded a small bomb on the beach there. It was only 300grams and didn't cause any injuries or damage. But on the Sunday there were so many police there, understandable though.
31-08-2004, 08:39 PM,
August.
About 700 were at the start line. I was talking with the girlfriend and ended up at the back. We had watched the kiddie races beforehand, with age groups of under 4, under 7, under 10 and under 12. It was 11.30 and the temperature about 29 degrees.

The race started, and as I mentioned, I was at the back, which was not where I wanted to be. For the first KM I struggled to find any rhythm, then the route took the narrow streets behind the seafront. There was not much room for overtaking.

At about 3km the road widened out, and many of the fun runners and holidaymakers had slowed to a walk. There were still 2.5km uphill to go. My plan for the race had been to give everything on the uphill bit, try to recover somewhat on the downhill, but still at pace, then try to hold on for the level finish.

Now I had room to move, I set about the climb. I was pleased to see that not many people overtook me. It was hard, hard work though, and I was glad to take a sponge at 4km. There were some nice ladies with hoses on the route aswell, how welcome they were.

We started on the downhill and I was pleased to see that the practice was paying off. I was easily overtaking people without too much effort. I have to admit, I had no Idea how the time was going as I was too busy with the race. When we reached the sea again it was a long 1.8km to the finish. My legs and lungs were killing me but I was holding together. On the run in I was passed by about 5 or 6 runners but also managed to overtake a few myself.

And there we were, at the finish line. The official time said 41' 42", but we needed 30 seconds to cross the start, my watch said 41'13" which I'm very pleased with.
01-09-2004, 12:49 PM,
August.
Congratulations, Brian.

I can see that you´re very fit in spite of having little time to train because of the shop.

Best wishes

Antonio

01-09-2004, 04:23 PM,
August.
Fine races, RB. How is the shop going ? Well, I hope.

Any mail order discounts available to UK customers yet.... ?
02-09-2004, 08:47 PM,
August.
Thanks chaps.

I'm not sure if the Riazor Blue empire stretches yet to mail order, what shoes are you in?

The shop's going OK, it was a bit slow over Summer but that's normal. We are just changing season now and with the gear we've got I'm expcting a good winter. Word of mouth has started to spread, so that's good news.

The hardest part s doing the ordering. I'm in the process of ordering for next summer. Not having been open all of this Summer, it's hard to visualise what I'm going to need. I spent some time with Up & Running in Harrogate last year to see how they work, what sells, how peoples feet work, etc. That was useful in the sense of how you do gait analysis, and their ideas for publicity and marketing. What is the market here though, is different, I forgot to ask them how their market was before the boom started a few years back. Spain's still waiting for the boom, which will come in two or three years.

My aim, though, is to have all the joggers on the Paseo Maritimo in my running shoes by next Summer.
12-09-2004, 06:48 PM,
August.
Keep us posted on the business, I'm sure we all wish you well. Marketing can be expensive of course but you might want to try getting a flyer in with packs sent out to local race entrants, or in with the goody bag. Perhaps offering a small discount. Organisers like to "add value" to their event, and it's a great way of reaching your target audience.

I'm probably telling you something you've already thought of.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.