Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spring is nearly sprung...
21-08-2004, 05:43 AM,
and a young man's thoughts turn to ... well crikey, I can't quite remember back that far.

But my mind has been much on running lately, not least because of Bekele's unbelievable last lap in the 'lympics 10,000m. How inspiring was that?! Sad to see Gebrselassie's reign all but over, but Bekele is, if anything, even more impressive. I'm still shaking my head at the way he flat out sprinted that last lap - astonishing!

Meanwhile, back here on earth, we are in that cusp between late winter and early spring. We have been hit with a late 'flu outbreak in combination with an early hay fever season, so it seems just about everyone is sick - including me, though mercifully not seriously so.

Today was a perfect day for a run, but being crook (still), I instead went for another hike in the hills with the dog, and have to say, it was magic. Glorious, glorious, glorious, and made me really look forward to some hill training through spring.

Tomorrow, the local Adelaide marathon is being run. Somewhat disappointing I won't be participating - in fact can't even get there as a spectator due to a prior commitment (made by my wife, your honour... I'm innocent I say!)... but doubtless I'll draw inspiration, or at least, determination to get back into the serious training very, very soon.

So no running to report, but here's another nice piccy. Taken from the hills near where I live, it shows the wattle seriously in bloom (hence the hayfever), Adelaide CBD in the distance on the left and way off on the horizon, the Gulf St.Vincent, on a stunningly, gloriously, magical late winter's day which dragged me away from the Olympics coverage and got some fresh air into my lungs. Heaven!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Run. Just run.
24-08-2004, 11:40 AM,
which did you get, the hay fever or the flu or a combination of both?? Picture is gorgeous, no wonder you can't wait to get out there....
Phew this is hard work !
24-08-2004, 03:11 PM,
Another fantastic picture. If only I had somewhere so picturesque to run I'd be out there every day - well probably not!
24-08-2004, 04:05 PM,
Hmm, that's funny. I seem to recall seeing that picture on the website of the Yorkshire Tourist Board.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
24-08-2004, 05:38 PM,
Yes OK, there probably are a lot of picturesque places round about to run, but I haven't actually got the energy to look around when I'm out there - it takes me all my time to just keep breathing!!
25-08-2004, 08:40 AM,
Oh, you must look around, YP. Sometimes I think it's the real fuel for running. Particularly where you are. (Where are you again?)

MLCM's palce does indeed look scenic, though when I was up in Wharfedale a couple of weeks ago (Simon's Seat) I was reminded of how much great countryside we have here too.

Actually, with my Oscar Wilde hat on I could go on about the possibility of seeing beauty in everything.... but you'll be pleased to hear that I don't have my OW hat on this morning.

Stop wittering, man.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
25-08-2004, 09:01 AM,
I take it, Andy, that you haven't been looking around much lately!! - not much running fuel about at the moment I notice. Get yourself back out there and enjoy it, there'll always be excuses not to go if you look for them!!
25-08-2004, 12:31 PM,
Well I think Andy's canal sounds ideal - scenic, but FLAT.

If I had a canal to run along, I'd run everyday... Rolleyes
Run. Just run.
25-08-2004, 02:03 PM,
Yes, must admit I like to run along the riverside - definitely nice and flat, but every day sounds like a bit of a trial, I don't think I could manage that. It is sometimes a lot more enjoyable to get out into the hills and see something a bit different though.
25-08-2004, 10:12 PM,
In the Adelaide hills...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Run. Just run.
25-08-2004, 10:29 PM,
Thought those of you with a sense of irony would like to see the results of the local 42km bash. I think the surname (and esp the spelling) of the bloke who came third is spot on for a marathoner, while the bloke who won must surely be a little dubious!

Marathon Runners
BibNo Time Pos Name M/F Age

6687 2:42:35 1 SKATE MATHEW M 30
6627 2:42:52 2 TAGELL MICHAEL M 48
6681 2:45:21 3 PAIN TIM M 31
6729 2:54:38 4 THOMAS DAVID M 27
6808 2:55:01 5 BETTRIDGE RON M 44
Run. Just run.
26-08-2004, 02:57 PM,
Is your name not somewhere in the list MLCM? Would have thought being a "local" race you should have been there!!
27-08-2004, 11:58 AM,
Next year, YP, next year!

The local marathon was just another one of the many running goals I've missed this year. But I say in my defence that I've been running less than a year, and still have a lot to learn.

Which is why I hang around here. That is a good idea... isn't it?

At least now I feel I am finally over this bug/hay fever thing that's been hanging around for the last 3 weeks or so. A spell of fine sunny weather has done wonders for us all. So back into it ... tomorrow! That's right isn't it Andy? Begin firm resolves tomorrow?

Well I have to get into it whether I like it or not. I am entered into the huge local 12km charity bash on Sept 19th, and I've set myself a goal of finishing in the top half and under 60 minutes. Which means I have a heck of a lot of training to do over the next 3 weeks.

Gulp.

Make that "GULP"!
Run. Just run.
01-09-2004, 04:26 PM,
Marvellous pictures again, MLC Man. Look out for the mambas, though...... not to mention the 'roos and sheilas.