Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winter Blues
03-08-2004, 02:34 AM,
Winter Blues
Tuesday 3rd August

Hmm, I'm going to write this in two parts: before and after my scheduled 5km run. After my aborted Sunday run I am keen to get out there and put things right again, but have to wait for a break between savage downpours. The weather here has gone apocalyptic and I fear finding myself in the after-life without having run a mortal marathon yet. Worsening winter storms are creating a bit of havoc, with trees and powerlines down all over the place, including a massive eucalypt that fell across all four lanes of a major road last evening during the peak hour. Bit of a miracle no-one was killed - though it was close. One bloke saw the tree falling and slammed on the brakes. The tree crushed the front end of his car and he walked away unscathed. It's a road I use most days, too.

Looks like my break in the weather is here, so I'll be back soon...

...or maybe not so soon.

What a disaster! I know now something is not right. This time I barely struggled to the 3km mark before pulling the plug. whereas last week the distance wasn't presenting any great difficulties, suddenly now I'm finding my legs and ankles giving in on me. I felt fine going out for the run, but barely half a kilometre in my legs were like lead and my ankles were screaming. I think the 24 hour cold bug I thought I had a few days back must be something else, and comes out to bite when I do anything physical. I also found I had a weird rash on my neck last night, although this morning it was gone so I didn't think anything of it. whatever it is, it's frustrating the heck out of me.

Still, it's better to get these disasters out of the way early in the piece rather than near the day of the race.

In true runner's spirit I have consoled myself with hot buttered fruit muffins. No beer though. Hot honey and lemon drink instead.

Guess I'll just have to cut back on the running a little until things are right again.

Grumble grumble moan groan.

MLC Man.
Run. Just run.
04-08-2004, 02:22 AM,
Winter Blues
This morning I woke up drenched in sweat. I felt fine, but took it as confirmation that all is not quite right in the MLC Man bod. Never-the-less, as I said, I felt fine. The weather bureau even did the right thing and gave us a few hours respite from the rain - even had a few minutes of thin, watery sunshine for a while. And so, feeling pretty good, I took off for a 5km run. To be safe though, I thought I'd run my usual route in reverse, so instead of starting and ending with a hill climb, the first 1.5 km is downhill.

Well it wasn't long before I was in trouble. I ran the slowest 2km of my life (most of it downhill) before pulling out with the dead legs and the ankle pain I reported previously.

As soon as I got home I booked an appointment with the doctor. Something's not right and I'm *#%@&#!@?+%& (peeved). It's like an unknown assailant laying an ambush - every time I run, I get attacked. Depressing.

Will report back later.

MLC Man.
Run. Just run.
04-08-2004, 06:15 AM,
Winter Blues
Just back from the doctor$. Concurs that I have a viral infection. Suggests I should stop running until it "clears up" - probably several days.

Glooooom.
Run. Just run.
04-08-2004, 07:34 AM,
Winter Blues
But I suppose now you know the cause, you can rest up and start again in a week with renewed vigour.

And congratulations also, for getting a doctors appointment for the same day you ask for it. Big Grin
05-08-2004, 11:02 AM,
Winter Blues
Thursday 5th August

Supposedly not being able to run, I instead took the dog for a walk this evening.

The sad part is that not only did I walk my usual 5km run route, but I also recorded my split times and heart rate.

I must be pining for the fjords or something.

MLC Man.
Run. Just run.
07-08-2004, 01:55 AM,
Winter Blues
Been using my lay-off time wisely, scouting out new running routes. This not too far from home, up in the hills near here. Beautiful venue for a spot of chardonnay and smoked salmon after an early morning 10 or so....

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Run. Just run.
07-08-2004, 01:57 PM,
Winter Blues
that rain's lashing down isn't it. Rolleyes
08-08-2004, 12:03 AM,
Winter Blues
SP, it was the last of the early morning mist burning off, leaving the glorious green rolling hillside to bask in a magnificent warm, toasty sunshine. This is the first real sun we' ve seen in nearly two weeks, and the ground around here is more akin to sponge than soil, but the sunshine in the photo is the genuine stuff.

The vineyard, by the way, is one of those owned by Henschke, makers of the stunningly expensive Hill of Grace shiraz. Though the vines in the photo would more likely be chardonnay, hence our thoughts turned to a 'charddy and smoked salmon' brunch (in reality we returned home for brewed coffee and orange/mango pancakes - part of the Antonio diet that's all the rage down here... the combination of fruit and cakes in the one dish is hugely popular. Although I think we probably overdid the dollops of double cream and maple syrup Big Grin)

Last night, for the first time ever (that I can remember), I dreamed about running. It was magnificent, and I'm sure it was inspired by those hills yesterday. Or maybe it was the pancakes...?

Here's another, perhaps more shiraz-like photo of mine, on a running track that follows the coastline around the southern part of the Fleurieu Peninsula (about 90 kilometres south of Adelaide if you're looking it up).

Pass me the corkscrew, someone...

Run. Just run.
08-08-2004, 09:19 AM,
Winter Blues
Rounded out the week with a tough-ish hike in the hills. Feeling better, but that pesky viral infection is still making its presence felt. Some of the hill climbs were very tough.

My dog, on the other hand, thought it was all just peachy...

Run. Just run.
09-08-2004, 05:07 PM,
Winter Blues
Some wonderful pictures there, MLC Man. I agree that the second one could make a great wine bottle label - marvellous how you captured the clouds mirroring the form of the tree.

I like the idea of running through your misty vineyards, even if they do look worryingly hilly. I also sometimes experience early morning mists myself after close company with my Shiraz collection over dinner.....
10-08-2004, 11:33 AM,
Winter Blues
that you are feeling better MLC, don't over do it, viral infections can be stange things, you'll soon make up the lost time when you are feeling 100% again. Gorgeous photos and I envy you your dog, does he run with you?

if it's any consolation the rain here is both heavy and persisitant -and its supposed to be summer!! Doesn't look like much chance of any play at Old Trafford with the Windies if it carries on like this for the rest of the week :-(
Phew this is hard work !
11-08-2004, 03:14 PM,
Winter Blues
Certainly was a great result at Edgbaston sw ... two tons for Trescothick was pretty impressive. Just a pity he couldn't go on to make big ones. And I'm looking forward to seeing your Flintoff out here in Oz... he would seem to be one of the more impressive all-rounders England have had for a while. I think I'm right in saying he hasn't played in a test against Australia? Seems to have been around for a while now, too. Let's hope the weather holds up for the third test. Oh, and my dog (Bella, a border collie/labrador) is a sprinter with lousy endurance, so no, we don't run together. She also has a habit of cutting in front of you to chase after wildlife, cars, pieces of paper blowing in the breeze etc., making running a hazardous experience, so we stick to the walks these days.

Nigel, I know exactly what you mean. Those hills are for looking at and growing grapes on... running them takes a peculiar kind of madness. Loved your photos, btw!
Run. Just run.