Chicago 2004
09-07-2004, 03:15 PM,
Chicago 2004
I am lucky enough to be taking part in this event this year. I am taking wife and kids along and making a weeks holiday out of it. We are staying about 12 miles outside Chicago, how eay is it to get to the start, I have hired a car, will it be of any use on race day.
09-07-2004, 09:54 PM,
Chicago 2004
Hello Dorian

Well done for entering Chicago, it's a great event.

I can't give you a detailed answer - it depends whereabouts you are going to be. 12 miles isn't far in a car but if most marathon cities are anything to go by, there willl be severe restrictions on parking and driving starting very early in the day. Much of Chicago takes place right in the city centre (unlike London), and so roads get closed hours ahead of what is already an early start.

Seems certain that your best bet will be to drive to a subway station, and take the final stretch into the centre on the train. Exactly where will depend on wherabouts you're staying. Perhaps Rick Neal is reading, and can answer. Otherwise. drop an email to the organisers, or check out Hal Higdon's running forum which is very Chicago-centric.

Good luck with the race. You'll love it.

Andy
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
12-07-2004, 12:16 PM,
Chicago 2004
Dorian

You will certainly love Chicago. I ran it in 2002, and two years on my time there remains my personal best, despite some repeated and painfully protracted attempts to better it. More than that, it is a fantastic city, and a wonderful marathon.

I'm hardly running at the moment, having exhausted myself by running two marathons in quick succession this Spring. It was a controlled risk, not without benefit and certainly not without consequences. I've been sore and listless recently, and in the past month I've rediscovered lager and my golf game (both of these offering dangerous and perhaps one day terminal implications for my running career).

Never mind. In the spirit of a rainy day at Wimbledon where the misery of inaction is often accompanied by the sometimes unwelcome chance to relive some of the scenes from earlier in the tournament, your message and Andy's vibrant and enthralling musings on Cuba have enticed me to post some of back catalogue into my own training diary. It'll all be out of sequence, and it won't be popular with all of the audience, but then that never stopped the BBC.....

Enjoy the race, and above all, enjoy Chicago.

Regards
Nigel
27-07-2004, 06:08 PM,
Chicago 2004
Hello all! I haven't been around much...I've actually been running for a change instead of reading about other people running. Andy is correct, Dorian. It depends somewhat on where you're staying. As a general rule you can drive to the starting area but you will want to arrive early. Taking the El (elevated train) is a better option though. It will be congested in the downtown area and I'm sure parking will be ugly. I usually stay closer in and just take a cab. The marathon website has some good info as well http://www.chicagomarathon.com/page_L2.a..._2_ID=248. You may also want to look on the website for tips for your family to use to watch the race and to try and catch you at several spots along the course. Good luck in the race and have a wonderful holiday!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chicago Marathon video El Gordo 2 1,516 03-03-2006, 02:02 PM
Last Post: Nigel
  Shakespeare Half Marathon, Stratford-upon-Avon 2004 Nigel 2 1,790 13-05-2004, 09:18 AM
Last Post: Nigel
  Silverstone Half Marathon: March 7 2004 El Gordo 15 54,253 11-03-2004, 11:05 AM
Last Post: El Gordo
  2004 - What have you got planned Pollard 42 18,260 15-01-2004, 09:42 PM
Last Post: Seafront Plodder
  Bristol Half Marathon 2004 Griff 2 1,915 15-12-2003, 12:55 PM
  Bath Half Marathon 2004 - Hurry ! Nigel 10 2,546 27-10-2003, 03:16 PM