Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Betanzos
30-05-2004, 04:42 PM,
Betanzos
A couple of months ago I wrote that a new target would be to run the half marathon in Betanzos in under 85 minutes.

What I didn't take into account was that the circuit is all hills. OK, so I wasn't trying for the 85 minutes after all, I'm all signed up for a marathon on 4th July in a place called Toral de lis Vados. It's in the middle of nowhere, between Galicia and Castilla Leon. Today was a fast training run with a 5km race tagged onto the end. Bearing in mind what happened in Vigo, I didn't want to push too hard.

I finished in 1hour 34 minutes which was quite respectable given the hills and the heat. No sun, just heat, which is even worse. Once I finished I had to run back to the car to collect my 'flyers' for the shop to hand out. I was pleased with the response from the runners there. It's probably a shock for them to see some Brit opening up a running shop in the back-end of Spain. We'll see on Tuesday when I open.

I 'raced' last Sunday aswell. There was a 9km 'fun run' in a village called Arteixo - not a well known place except that the fashion shop Zara has it's headquarters there. As I haven't had much time to train, beforehand I told the girlfriend that 42 minutes would be good, over 44 not so good, under 40 bloody excellent. When I stopped the watch on 37'46" I could only think that it was a short course. But who knows, the officials told me it was 9km.

Next Sunday there is a 19km race, Galicia has many wierd distances. I quite fancied this one, but it coincides with a 4.5km fun run in the city centre. I have promised to do this with the girlfriend and another two non-running friends. It'll be good for handing out publicity aswell.

Finally, commiserations to Nigel. I was at Wembly in 96 to see Palace lose in the play-off final ( in the last minute of extra time against Leicester) so I know how it feels. On the brighter side YAY the Palace. What a spectacular job Iain Dowie has done. And thanks to the marvels of internet I could listen to the game on the radio.
02-06-2004, 08:20 AM,
Betanzos
Thanks Brian, and very good luck with the running shop opening, even if it was actually yesterday. I'll be eagerly looking forward to your European mail order discount deals especially.

Well done to Crystal Palace. Their record since Ian Dowie took over has been amazing. He is a great motivator, able to bring out the best in the Palace players. In complete contrast, West Ham under Alan Pardew have consistently failed to believe. Since somehow losing from 3-0 up against West Brom earlier in the season, it has been easy to understand why. The recent results against Wigan and Ipswich have been the only good news for quite a while now, whilst Palace have simply been riding the wave.

Good luck in your marathon on 4th July. I hope it's flat, and not too hot for you on the day. It certainly sounds as though you are hitting form right on time, and with hard work in your business, doubtless you won't be overtrained this time. All the best for that PB !
03-06-2004, 02:41 PM,
Betanzos
Congratulations, Brian.

I wish you the best both in running and in the shop you have just opened. The beginning must be hard but once you get used to your new role as a shop manager, it must be easier.

Best of luck. Mucha suerte.

Antonio

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vuelta de La Ria - Betanzos 1/2 30/5/04 Riazor Blue 6 2,671 22-04-2004, 10:22 PM
Last Post: El Gordo