Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two Weeks To Go.
12-04-2004, 07:43 AM,
Two Weeks To Go.
I'm back. Back on the forum at least. After this last week away from training I went for a quiet 8km along the esplanade on Saturday. Things could have been worse, they could have been better though.

I have had a week of ibuprofen and ice and another of ibuprofen and heat. I ran on Saturday but noticed a slight discomfort when I increased the pace a little. That was apart from losing general running fitness. After a measely 5 miles my legs were feeling it. That, of course will change with a couple more runs though.

I'm sitting here now thinking of my options. First thing, whatever the doctor told me, is to see a physiotherapist. Another week of rest isn't an option if I am going to run on the 25th. If I do run, the next question is how fast? I do not want to injure myself further, but there again I do not really want to run just for the sake of completing the course.

I suppose that the outcome will be decided later this week after seeing the physio. If all goes well, however, there's the problem of training. After two weeks without training a conventional taper is out. I need to regain a little running fitness, but bearing in mind that my body needs to recover. My plan goes something like this:

Monday - 10km jog.
Tuesday - Rest.
Wednesday - 10km, second 5 at marathon pace.
Thursday - 20km at easy pace.
Friday - Rest.
Saturday - 8Km marathon pace.
Sunday - 10km easy pace.
Tuesday - Rest.
Wednesday - 10km easy pace.
Thursday - 8km easy.
Friday - Rest.
Saturday - Nervous Panic.

If the ankle feels OK after Thursday I will know if I can run or not. If I cannot, I'll have to look for another marathon closer to home - perhaps there is one in Porto. Whatever the outcome, I'll be in Madrid, as it's all paid for. I'll be there to cheer on Antonio at least.

Miracles Do Happen : Just look at Deportivo.
12-04-2004, 10:19 AM,
Two Weeks To Go.
We're all rooting for you RB. I'm no training expert but that sounds like quite a full schedule, even if you are trying to regain some fitness for the race.

Not much else I can say except good luck. It would be a great shame to have to pull out at this late stage. Do keep us updated.

Cheers

Andy
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
12-04-2004, 02:27 PM,
Two Weeks To Go.
It´s wonderful to hear from you again, Brian. I think that you´ve followed a very good training and you´ve already done the most important runs. Although I´m not an expert in training, I´ll tell you what I´d do. I ´d take these last weeks very softly and I´d start the first half at the marathon at a lower pace than the one you could aim for. If I felt all right after 21 kms, I´d go a little faster but trying to enjoy as much as possible so that I could finish even if it means 30 minutes later than you expected before your injury.

I hope you can take part in the marathon with your ankle in good conditions again.

¡Mucha suerte, Brian! If Depor had a miracle, why wouldn´t you?

Antonio

13-04-2004, 04:53 PM,
Two Weeks To Go.
So here's the update. I went to see a physio here yesterday and he told me that I should have seen him a couple of weeks ago. There you go, never trust the doctor.
He told me that yes, with two more sessions I should be able to complete the marathon. He also told me that I could do more damage to my ankle by running the marathon. He said that the ankle is almost healed, and if the marathon were a week later, then no problem.
I thought long and hard about this last night, and from what the physio said, probably it's best to pull out. So that's what I'm going to do.
Madrid isn't like the London marathon, where you can wait years to be accepted, so it's not a problem. On top of this, Madrid is not my only goal, so the training will continue. I think I have mentioned the 40 minute 10km, and then there's the 1h20m half marathon (which is a long way off).
I have been checking out the races coming up in Galicia and there is a half marathon every weekend in May, so there's a target. Then there's the Galician championship marathon in Tui in June (which could be a quieter option, only 350 or so entrants), that would be a challenge as it's mainly in open country with very few supporters, more of a mental challenge than anything.

I went for a 10km run today, there was a little discomfort from the ankle, but the physio said that it's OK to run on. Fitness is the problem now, although I have done a bit on the bike in the bedroom, the arms and legs need re-conditioning.

Finally, for this post, I have been talking to the Madrid organizers, with luck Antonio I'll be handing you a bottle of water or a sponge on the day. I'll keep you posted, if not out on the course I will be helping out at the start/finish.
13-04-2004, 07:11 PM,
Two Weeks To Go.
I´m terribly sorry, Brian. It´s a pity that you won´t be able to run Madrid marathon after such hard training. Anyway, you´ll have other chances to run a marathon doing a PB. Perhaps, Tui. We went to Tui several years ago and we liked the town a lot with the beautiful views of river Miño and the old town with interesting monuments.

Well, Brian, we´ll keep in touch to meet in Madrid on Saturday and perhaps we can run together a few kilometres at Madrid marathon if you aren´t helping at the water or sponge stations.

Get better soon.

Saludos desde Almería.

Antonio

13-04-2004, 07:51 PM,
Two Weeks To Go.
That's bad news Brian, but it's probably a better decision than to take the risk of doing more severe damage that might lay you up for months, or worse. As you know, a marathon isn't to be taken lightly.

I'm glad you're still going to the race. With you coaching from the sidelines, at least Antonio doesn't have an excuse not to crack the 4 hour marathon now.

You've got the right attitude at least. Instead of moping, to plan some other running projects and targets, and build up again. At least you're in pretty good general shape, so you should be able to capitalise on that to run some good longer distances without having to start from scratch again.

I hope you'll stay with us and keep us updated. I've really enjoyed the descriptions of your training, though both yours and Antonio's tend to make me feel hungry for some reason.

Cheers

Andy
El Gordo

13-04-2004, 08:06 PM,
Two Weeks To Go.
That's tough RB, but hopefully the right decision.

A friend of mine was going to be running London next weekend. His son was killed in a motorcycle accident about 10 days ago, aged just 23. My friend thought long and hard, but eventually quite understandably, felt he wouldn't be able to run so pulled out.

Just a bit of perspective, and I hope you enjoy the day from the sidelines.

Andy.
14-04-2004, 06:54 AM,
Two Weeks To Go.
You see Andy, now with a 1/2 marathon every Sunday in May there will be no Sunday lunch with the in-laws to talk about.

I have to say, it's because of motivation that I am dropping out of the marathon. Being at the tender age of 39 I've got years ahead of me to improve on my 3h37m. A bit more improvement in the shorter distances and I'll be back as a veteran next year.
14-04-2004, 09:17 AM,
Two Weeks To Go.
A very bad break, RB, but well done on volunteering to support the runners. And at least now you'll have more time to watch the videos of that marvellous "Deportivo miracle" last week.

Any chance of forwarding some of that fantastic commitment and belief to my football team ? I've decided to take up supporting Deportivo in the Champions' League. No disloyalty here - since I can't see any likely conflict of interest with West Ham for quite a few years to come !
14-04-2004, 01:15 PM,
Two Weeks To Go.
Thanks everyone for the responses. It was probably my fault for continuing to run that last kilometer in Vigo. One thought though, I'm convinced that it was not a case of over training, I would still do the same schedule now as I have just done. There was one week with 80km which should have been around 60, but apart from that I think I was spot-on. Just bad luck I suppose.

Nigel, I would love to pass on a bit of Deportivo magic to West Ham, now that Palace have beaten them, and assuming of course, that Palace finish in fifth and West Ham in sixth. Good luck on Sunday in London. As you have said on your thread, the day itself is the reward. What is important is that commitment you make to yourself in the first place. Enjoy the day.

Seafront Plodder, yes, there are more important things in life than running, there are more important things in life than most things. There's always another race around the corner, including your 10km.

Back to running, yesterday's 10km have left my legs aching, who says that you don't lose fitness in two weeks? Let's see if I can get myself in shape for the Pontevedra half marathon on 2nd May.
14-04-2004, 11:53 PM,
Two Weeks To Go.
SP, I was sorry to read that terrible news about your friend's son. I can't imagine how that must feel, but as you say, our troubles can be made to feel suddenly pretty insignificant in comparison.
El Gordo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  4 Weeks to Toral de los Vados (2005) Riazor Blue 20 12,847 28-06-2005, 06:40 PM
Last Post: Nigel
  Five Weeks to Toral de los Vados (2005) Riazor Blue 11 7,155 26-05-2005, 10:17 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  Six weeks to Toral 2005 Riazor Blue 7 4,800 16-05-2005, 01:43 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  Eight(ish) weeks to Toral de los Vados Riazor Blue 0 2,729 06-05-2005, 10:38 PM
Last Post: Riazor Blue
  10 Weeks to Toral de los Vados Riazor Blue 1 3,112 22-04-2005, 09:45 PM
  11 Weeks to Toral de los Vados 2005 Riazor Blue 5 4,390 14-04-2005, 02:35 PM
  12 Weeks to Toral de los Vados 2005 Riazor Blue 4 4,149 12-04-2005, 06:39 PM
  Eeek, 4 weeks to go and no training. Riazor Blue 4 2,372 07-04-2004, 09:02 PM
Last Post: Antonio247
  5 Weeks Left. Riazor Blue 6 2,742 01-04-2004, 02:38 PM
Last Post: Antonio247
  Only Six Weeks To Go. Riazor Blue 7 2,546 22-03-2004, 02:33 PM