Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Week 6
16-03-2004, 11:04 PM,
Week 6
Week 6. 15th-21st March 2004. My weight is 82, 8 kgs. One more kilo than last week. I find it difficult to lower my weight. Perhaps I´m eating too much bread and olive oil.

I´m starting the last third of my marathon training. 42 days for the marathon, the same amount of kilometres that we´ll have to do. According to Hal Higdon novice marathon schedule, this week I should do 4 miles on Tuesday, 9 miles on Wednesday, five miles on Thursday and 18 miles on Saturday, which is quite hard for me.

Tuesday. I had to go at ten pm because today it has been a rainy day. I wanted to go earlier in the afternoon but it was raining so I put it off for later. When I started, it was drizzling but the night was nice since it wasn´t cold or windy. I started at Almadrabillas park going towards the lighthouse through the port. There were a few puddles since when it rains here for a few hours, the streets get flooded but it wasn´t too bad to run except at km 3 where there was a big puddle on the road to the lighthouse which made me turn back to avoid getting my trainers wet. I got there in 20´20´´. I came back along the same way. At the port, I saw a few Arabs waiting for their ferry to Morocco. I got back in 41 minutes but I continued along the sea front as far as Café París, one of the best places at the promenade to have a drink and some “tapas” in the afternoon or evening or chocolate and “churros” in the morning. Then, I got to the start point again in 51 minutes and around seven kilometres. Then, I did some stretching.

18-03-2004, 03:43 PM,
Week 6
Thursday. I started at 9.20 am. It was a cloudy day but not cold, around 20º Celsius. On the way back, the sun started to shine but it got cloudy again. I started at Almadrabillas park going along the sea front to Costacabana, which is a residential suburb past the university by the sea. It´s about 7.5 kms away from where I started. I went along the sea front doing it in 14´55´´, which is quite fast for me feeling quite well. I continued along the road to the university and took the second part of the sea front getting to the university and going past it to where Costacabana sea front starts. It took me 49 minutes. Then, I came back along the same way. I stopped to walk for one minute in minute 81 arriving at the start point in 101 minutes and around 15 kilometres. I felt better than other days.

Today I´m on fruit and salad only because I´ve gained one kilo this week. Besides, I´m going to be on only fruit in the morning for a week to see if I reach 80-81 kilos again. My weight is 82,8 kgs today.

18-03-2004, 09:52 PM,
Week 6
Good luck with your frugivorous plans, Antonio. I often resolve to have a day of fruit and veg only, but I usually crack in the early evening, and have to rush out to the fish and chip shop via the pub and sweet shop.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
19-03-2004, 08:54 AM,
Week 6
Thank you, Andy. Many times I´ve tried to be on fruit and vegetables only one day but sometimes I felt very week in the evening and I had to eat other foods. However, yesterday I felt very well. This was my menu. I had three oranges before going for a run at 8.30am., two bananas from the Canary islands after the run at 11.15 am. One banana at 12.45 am at the second school break. A tomato salad for lunch. Then, two apples at 4.45 pm.I felt hungry at 6 and I had two more bananas. Then, for dinner a tomato, lettuce salad. I felt quite well yesterday.

This morning I went for a five mile run without eating anything. When I arrived, I had three oranges and saw how much I weighed, 81 kilograms, 1.8 kgs less than yesterday morning. I know that I´ve lost mainly liquid but I feel quite well today. I´ll probably take the lost weight back soon but it cheers you up. I´ll go on having only fruit in the morning until lunch at around 3.00 pm. A bit late to have lunch but I end lessons at 2.45 pm every day.

Well, I´m leaving now because today I start at 10.45 am. I´ll have a banana to get strength to go on bicycle.

Good luck at your new race on Sunday, Andy. You must be really strong to be able to run three long races in three weeks.

Best wishes

Antonio

20-03-2004, 07:17 AM,
Week 6
Friday. Here it is the father´s day since today is Saint Joseph´s day, Jesus´ father. How hard it is to be a father. It´s also the day of those called José or Pepe as it is sometimes familiarly called is a common name, Mº José, Josefina or Pepa, Pepi, Pepita. Then, when we see a man called José or a woman called Josefina we wish him/her a nice Saint´s day. Many people invite their colleagues at work or their friends and/or relatives at home or at a café. However, this tradition has become less important than when I was younger. We also celebrate our birthday, especially children and teenagers. Perhaps adults don´t want to grow older.

Well, I went along Sierra Alhamilla road to Avenida del Mediterráneo to get to the sea front. I started at 6.45 am and it was a little cloudy. The day breaks earlier than a few weeks ago but soon we´ll have to change our watches again. I don´t like it much since it´s a bit hard to get used to the new time schedule and I don´t think it saves much energy causing a lot of problems to many people. I continued along the sea front towards the university but turning back after crossing the bridge on river Andarax. Then, I went along the road and sea front to Almadrabillas park in nearly 57 minutes completing until 58 minutes and doing around eight kilometres. I felt worse than on Thursday due to the long run that day. Later, I did some stretching and checked that my heart beats were 130.

In the evening, I went with my brother to Roquetas where a cinema with 13 halls has been opened. One of the halls is for original version films. Every week there will be a film in the original version. I watched “Love actually” with subtitles in Spanish. As my brother, whose name is Jose, had watched it a few weeks ago in the dubbed version, he saw “Big fish” in the dubbed version since the only English version was “Love actually”. It was interesting and amusing and very good for my English. I also saw London, where I haven´t been for 12 years. It reminded me of the forumites who live near that big city and Nigel and Liz who are going to take part in its marathon. I noticed the big contrast between old and modern London. In the film you can see how different people deal with love. It´s been an interesting experience to watch the film in English since in Spain all the films are dubbed and only in big cities, you can go to a cinema where original versions are shown. After the film, my broter had a beer and I had an alcohol-free beer since I had to drive back and “tapas” at a bar in the shopping centre.

Today, Saturday, I´ve got to do 18 miles. I´m looking forward to it and I´m scared stiff too.

20-03-2004, 10:54 AM,
Week 6
Good luck with your 18 miles, Antonio. I'm supposed to be doing a 15 mile race tomorrow but I've a feeling I might pull out. I'm still a bit tired after the last couple of weekends, and I think I may do better just to do the distance, or as long as I can, locally, without the extra stress of an event.

We haven't been to the cinema for a while but talked about going this evening, after my trip to see Reading play Sunderland. (A friend has lent me his season ticket, as he can't go.) I'll have to research what's on at the moment. All recommendations welcome....

I suppose you have your final 20 miles coming up soon, and the hardest week of the Hal Higdon schedule. That's a tough one. I was talking to someone yesterday about running a marathon, making the point (again) that the race itself is the reward, the pay-back, for all those months of training, rather than the final ordeal. At least, that's how I prefer to see it.

Cheers

Andy
El Gordo

21-03-2004, 06:41 PM,
Week 6
Thank you, Andy. Finally, I didn´t do the 18 miler but I did a half mile as I´m telling next.

Did you do the Cranleigh 15? What about the cinema? Did you go?

Cheers,

Antonio

21-03-2004, 06:46 PM,
Week 6
Sunday. Yesterday afternoon I was supposed to go for an 18 miler. I had asked Atanasio, a colleague from my school, if he would lile to come with me on bicycle as it since he likes practising sport but one hour and a half before the time we were going to start he phoned me to tell me that he wouldn´t be able to come with me because he had been all morning at hospital visiting a friend of his who had been taken there unexpectedly. Although his friend was better, he didn´t feel like going that afternoon because he was too tired for a three hour or more ride. Then, I thought I could go the following day to Murcia and take part at its half marathon instead of going to Elche on 28th March. Murcia is 220 kms away from Almería and it takes about two hours to get there.

As I couldn´t sleep well, I left at 5.30 am. I drove along the Rambla where I saw many young people going back home after being at pubs or discos. I didn´t expect to see so many people in the streets at that time but actually here in Spain the atmosphere starts late at night and lasts until the small hours. Then, I filled the car up and went towards Murcia. http://www.carm.es/ctyc/murciaturistica/...&mun=30030 Before getting there, I stopped at Puerto Lumbreras, a town in a crossroads between Andalusia and Murcia, where I had three oranges I had carried for breakfast and at the bar a cup of white coffee, which I´m not used to but I was sleepy and needed it and also a cake with cream typical of that region. As I liked it, I bought four more for us to have later. Then, I went to Murcia where I asked some people directions to get to the “palacio de los deportes” ( Sports palace ) where the race started.

I entered quickly and as it was early I went for a walk around the place which is near a shopping centre. Then, I jogged a little and did some stretching. There were around 1000 runners in the 25th edition of this half. I placed myself behind. It took me half a minute to get to the start and the first minutes we had to go slowly. It was a sunny hot day,from 16º to 29º depending on where the indicators were, in the sun or at a shade.I felt some discomfort in my right sole foot but I managed to go quite well the first 11 kms, taking into account my poor level. I even overtook some runners and went with one for seven or eight kilometres. His name´s Tomás. He must be around 35 years old and lives in San Pedro del Pinatar http://www.sanpedrodelpinatar.net/ , in the province of Murcia. He told me that he gave up smoking one year ago and after seven days he got up very early one day feeling he needed a cigarette. He thought that he had two options, either go on smoking or go out for a run. He chose the second and went jogging at 6 in the morning. Since then, he has taken part in several half marathons and he expects to run his first marathon next year. His PB is one hour 57 minutes. He told me that his wife also runs. She was taking part at the half marathon but she was behind. He told me in each kilometre the pace we had and it was 5´20´´ . At km 7 I had done 37 minutes and at km 10 my watched showed 55 minutes. He told me that he preferred to start slowly and if he felt strong, he goes faster the last kilometres. After kilometre 11, I couldn´t follow his pace, so I went alone or sometimes with other runners for a few minutes. It was hot and as I had forgotten to take a suntan lotion, I got a red neck and arms after the race. I tried to run faster to lower two hours but I couldn´t.

My official time is 2 hours 2 minutes and 43 seconds and my real time thirty seconds less, which is my PB. There were water stations every four kilometres instead of the usual five kilometres, which was great since it was a bit hot. The race took place in the outskirts of Murcia and also in the main avenues in the city centre. There weren´t many people in the streets but the volunteers and some spectators cheered us up quite a lot. When I got to the finish, I was given a slip of paper with my official time, a sports bag with a cap, T-shirt, fruit, cereal bars, isotonic drinks, water, etc and we could drink at the stalls Coca Cola, isotonic drinks, beer. I had a glass of an isotonic drink and a coke. I met Tomás at the finish and we talked a little. He had done 1 hour 59 minutes. Oh, if I could have followed him. At the finish I also met a friend called José Luis and his brother Bibiano who are from San Pedro del Pinatar. I met them when I was working for two years at San Javier , near San Pedro del Pinatar, at Mar Menor fifteen years ago. I had phoned him yesterday to tell him that we could meet after the half and they were there cheering up. After having a shower, we went to a bar at the city centre to have two beers and some snacks. I had a free-alcohol beer since I had to drive and it was wonderful to drink something cold after the race. I was wearing my tracksuit trousers and a sweatshirt and we were surrounded by smart people having their Sunday drink with snacks before lunch. In all, it´s been an interesting unexpected experience although I would have liked more to lower the two hour barrier.

21-03-2004, 08:34 PM,
Week 6
Wow, well done on your PB, Antonio. It's great to do a spontaneous race (like I did at Belnheim Palace in October), but to get a PB as well is fantastic.

Really enjoyed the report. I hope you were able to have a proper beer once you'd got home.

Cheers

Andy
El Gordo

21-03-2004, 10:16 PM,
Week 6
Hey, well done Antonio. That's fantastic. How was the drive back home though?

You see guys, the things we have to do in Spain to find a race, but at least outside Madrid and Valencia, you can usually talk your way into entering on the day.

Keep it going Antonio, only a couple of hard weeks to go and then the taper.
22-03-2004, 09:53 AM,
Week 6
Congratulations on a fine race and a new PB in Murcia, Antonio. Clearly you're getting faster as you travel towards Madrid ! I remember walking around Murcia's fine old town last year, and then steeply uphill for some fine views over the city.

It was a great report on the race, and an amusing runner's story about the guy giving up cigarettes, and having to decide at 6am between lighting up and going for a run. Not many would have chosen the run.

Interesting thoughts about the cinema, too. 'Love Actually' has a lot of critics for its lightweight plot and shameless references to 'Four Weddings and a Funeral', but I agree that one of the things it did do extremely well was its photography of London. It was the first film I had seen for a long time which photographed London like an American city.

Spent another very enjoyable evening at 'Lost in Translation' this weekend. Another atmospheric city film, with mixed reviews. Lots of people I know hated it, because they thought that nothing really happened, or because they felt it was derogatory about Japan and the Japanese. Many others enjoyed it for its observations on Tokyo. Again, the photography of the city was marvellous, and it was a thoughtful account of being a traveller in a strange city.
22-03-2004, 03:53 PM,
Week 6
Thank you very much, Andy, Brian and Nigel. Although I´ve got my PB I felt more comfortable at Almería half where I took three one-minute breaks and the temperature was lower. However, I feel well since I enjoyed the atmosphere and, as it was something I just decided to do the previous day, I didn´t feel any pressure the previous week. Today I have stiff legs but not too much.

Andy, I´m afraid I didn´t have a proper beer at home. I prefered having a cake from Murcia and a little chocolate nougat that Carmen had found hidden since last Christmas.

Brian, I drove back with some discomfort in my right foot sole, which made me feel a bit uncomfortable with the accelarator and I was a bit sleepy. So, I stopped at Puerto Lumbreras to have a cold coke at the same bar I had been in the morning and I ate two fairy cakes ( magdalenas ) I had been given when I arrived at the finish.

Nigel, I´m glad you enjoyed your visit in Murcia. Last week I heard two colleagues who had seen "Lost in translation" and they said they had liked it quite a lot, especially a French teacher at my school, Elena, who rated it with an 8 out of 10, while Atanasio, a Spanish teacher rated it with 6 points. I´d like to watch it in the original version if it comes to Roquetas.

Best wishes, amigos. Good luck.

Antonio

23-03-2004, 05:07 PM,
Week 6
Summary of week 6. I should have done 36 miles / 57,6 kms but actually I´ve done 51 kms. However, I took part at Murcia half marathon, which was something I decided to do the previous day getting my PB: 2 hours 2 minutes 43 seconds. I´ve got five more weeks to run Madrid marathon. Although I still have some discomfort in my right foot sole and stiff legs, I feel more confident this week. I didn´t do any cross-training this week again but I´ve got very little time. We´re ending the second term and have lots of exams to correct and teachers´ meetings to evaluate our pupils. I expect to do some additional cross-training at Easter holidays which will start on 2nd April.

23-03-2004, 05:14 PM,
Week 6
Antonio, just a thought about your foot. I imagine that it is facitis plantar, no? Where is the pain, under the arch? It could help if you 'lock lace' your zapatillas. One cause is that the heel is moving about a little too much in the shoe, lock lacing keeps the foot secure in the back of the shoe.

I will try to explain how it's done, if you have never heard of it, although it's easier to do than to describe.

1) Lace the shoes as normal, when you get to the top, there are those holes right at the top, set further back than the rest. The lace end which is on the left side goes back into the hole on the left fide to form a loop.

2) The same on the right side. So now you have a loop sticking out of both sides of the shoe and the ends of the laces on the inside of the shoe.

3) Put your foot in the shoe and tap the heel so that your foot is as far back in the heel as possible.

4) Thread the end of the lace on the right hand side through the loop on the left thand side.

5) Thread the lace end on the left hand side through the loop on the right hand side.

6) Gently tighten the lace in the shoe, and tug little by little on each lace end until all the slack has been taken out.

7) Tie the lace as normal, but because it's higher on the foot you do not need to tie it so tightly. If it's too tight you will soon feel it pressing on the tendons on top of the foot.

After tieing the shoe, compare it with the other, you will find that your heel hardly moves at all in the shoe.

I had this problem about last August when I changed shoes and somebody recommended lock lacing. I've not had the problem since.
23-03-2004, 05:15 PM,
Week 6
I know it's obvious, but do both shoes.
23-03-2004, 08:32 PM,
Week 6
Interesting post, RB -- thanks for taking the time to explain that.

Am just watching AC Milan v Deportivo, incidentally. Still 1-0 to Depor at the moment. Decent game so far - surprisingly open for a first leg at this level.

Andy
El Gordo

23-03-2004, 10:54 PM,
Week 6
Quote:Originally posted by andy Still 1-0 to Depor at the moment

Oooops......
El Gordo

23-03-2004, 11:12 PM,
Week 6
Oops indeed.
24-03-2004, 09:17 PM,
Week 6
Thank you very much, Brian. It hurts mainly in the right side of my right foot. I´ll try to follow your piece of advice. I went for a short run this morning and it hurt less.

I´m sorry that Depor lost yesterday in Milan. Real Madrid isn´t very lucky today either. Madrid and Monaco are drawing 1-1 at the moment.

I´m glad you´ve booked your hotel in Madrid. It is not far away from my hotel.

Good luck on Saturday at Vigo half marathon.

Antonio

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Week 1. Madrid marathon. Antonio247 7 3,106 23-04-2004, 05:45 PM
Last Post: Antonio247
  Week 2 Antonio247 6 3,017 20-04-2004, 05:24 PM
  Week four Antonio247 31 13,976 13-04-2004, 07:51 AM
Last Post: El Gordo
  Week 3 Antonio247 4 2,219 13-04-2004, 07:49 AM
  week 5 Antonio247 6 2,777 30-03-2004, 04:19 PM