Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
week 10
17-02-2004, 07:56 PM,
week 10
Week 10. 16th -22nd February. My weight is 81.2 kg. I´ve lost one kilo and to tell you the truth I don´t know why since I´ve eaten more or less the same as the previous week and I´ve been running only three days. I wish I could weigh under 80 kilos at the marathon.

Monday. I couldn´t wait until Tuesday to go for a run. I last went last Friday and on Sunday I had a long walk in San José area so I was looking forward to go jogging again. I left at 9.30 pm. It was a lovely night. The temperature was 15º Celsius. I started at Sierra Alhamilla road just opposite my flat but on the northern side. I went along that road with little traffic and turned right to take the bridge at avenida del Mediterráneo. I followed this avenue uphill. I saw two girl students from my school who were coming out of a café near my school. They smiled at me and told me: “Teacher, you´re going to be very tired tomorrow”. I smiled back and said “No, just a little. See you tomorrow”. The hill after two kms becomes harder but I´ve got to do hills to be prepared for Madrid where the first five kms are slightly uphill. I got as far as Hospital Torrecárdenas, which is in a hill. I went up a staircase which reminds me of Sylvester Stallone in “Rocky” when he was training to become a boxing champion. Although I don´t like boxing, I love that image because it shows the happiness that you can have after a big effort. I also like the film “Chariots of Fire” , especially the music, which gives you wings to go on running. By the way, at Madrid marathon some people from a balcony used to play it at Puerta del Sol, the heart of Madrid, like Piccadilly circus in London. Then, I stopped to check my heart beats – around 135- and walked down the stairs, resting one minute. It took me 37 minutes. How good it is to go downhill after having done it uphill! I felt very well. I think it must be because I had rested since Friday. I only saw two runners in all the course. I got at the starting line in 33 minutes doing in all 71 minutes and 9.6 kms measured with my car.

18-02-2004, 03:06 PM,
week 10
Tuesday. I left at 9.35 pm. I started in the same place as yesterday at Sierra Alhamilla road and went as far as the bridge at avenida del Mediterráneo but instead of going uphill, I went downhill to the end of the first part of the seafront in 23´45´´. Then; I went along the sea front to my usual start point at Almadrabillas park in 16´15´´ doing 40 minutes altogether but I completed until minute 42. It was a nice night. Although the temperature was 14º C at the beginning I felt a little colder than yesterday. I met more runners than on Monday. When I was just one kilometre to get to the finish, I heard another runner´s footsteps so I tried not to be overtaken by increasing my pace a little and managing to run at his same pace until I got to the finish. Then, I continued two more minutes slower and did some stretching. In all, I did forty-two minutes and around six kilometres

18-02-2004, 11:00 PM,
week 10
Wednesday. This afternoon I decided to go to the gym at the Centro de Actividades Náuticas, which is near where I live. I started at 6.40 p.m. As the treadmill was free, I started by doing 21 minutes. I started slowly and I reached 11km an hour then I slowed down little by little. In all, I did 3.1 kms. I sweated blood or “gota gorda” as we say in Spanish (" fat drop" ). Then, I did a few minutes rowing and continued with an exercise which is like going upstairs. Is it called "stepper"? Then I did thirty abdominals and other strength exercises. I also did six minutes on the exercise bicycle and some more abdominals and waist workouts. Finally, as the treadmill was free again, I decided to do some more running, doing 10 minutes reaching 12 kms an hour and a distance of 1.6 kms. There were about 12 people most of them young men. In all, I was 72 minutes. I enjoyed the experience a lot. I think it´s necessary to do strength exercises to avoid injuries and develop other muscles as well.

As I was hungry when I got home, I had three oranges before having a shower- I prefer having fruit 20 or 30 minutes before meals- and meanwhile I cooked spaghetti. I had two plates of spaghetti and mushrooms with a little olive oil at 8.30pm. As I had burnt a lot of calories at the gym, I didn´t feel guilty. Besides, pasta is wonderful to get reserves for the long runs and it isn´t fattening. The problem is if you have it with fats or too many proteins.

20-02-2004, 08:55 PM,
week 10
Friday. Yesterday it was a rest day. I went to have a discharge massage after three weeks from the previous one. I met at the physiotherapist´s one of the best runners from Almería. He´s called Indalecio and he takes part in half marathons and other races with very good positions. He told me that I can lower my BP at half marathon by doing different kind of training the days I go for a run. For instance, going at a faster pace in short runs and more slowly at long runs without having to do blocks of series.

This morning I went to my usual start point at parque de las Almadrabillas at 6.15 a.m. We had 13º C. At the beginning I met a runner who was going towards the sea front. I´ve seen him several times early in the morning with black gloves, which is quite unusual over here. Actually, I´ve never worn gloves here in Almería since the climate is quite mild. I went uphill La Rambla as far as the end in 24´15´´ but I walked one minute every fifteen minutes to avoid injuries and feel better at the end. Then, I went downhill about one kilometre turning left towards avenida del Mediterráneo, where I was last Monday, but starting at carretera de Níjar where the hardest hill is. I went up for about one kilometre and a half and then I turned down. I went downhill avenida del Mediterráneo and at the bridge a young man who looked Pakistani asked me the time. I stopped and fumbled in my watch which showed my chronometer to tell him it was twenty past seven. Then, I continued to take carretera de Sierra Alhamilla to get home in nearly 78 minutes completing to 80 minutes by running around several blocks of flats in my neighbourhood. In all, I did around 11 kilometres. I did some stretching and went up home. As I was thirsty, I drank two glasses of water and after having a shower I had three oranges and one mandarin that I enjoyed quite a lot. At a café, near my school at the break at 10.30 am I had a glass of cocoa milk and two slices of whole bread with tomato and olive oil in the company of the art teacher, Javier, who had a very British drink : tea and some milk. Unfortunately, he doesn´t like doing sport much. He likes hunting and he´s a very enthusiatic Barcelona FC supporter and he´s a smoker after eight years that he gave up smoking but he´s an original painter.

21-02-2004, 03:36 PM,
week 10
Saturday. After going to the street market at Avenida del Mediterráneo, where the half marathon starts, and getting oranges, mandarins and some vegetables, I decided to go by car to where the bicycle lane starts on the road to the university. I started at about 10 am. The day was cloudy and wet. In fact, it rained yesterday after many dry days. I met some runners on the lane. We greeted each other sometimes. The bicycle lane is about 2.4 long and the first two kilometres are marked on the tarmac so I learnt I had done them in 11´50´´ which is a bit fast for me. I continued to the university and got to Costacabana sea front. Costacabana is a neighbourhood near the airport with detached, semi-detached and terraced houses near the sea. I went along the 1.3 km sea front and continued along the path I had followed two weeks ago. I stopped to walk for one minute in minute 37 and continued to Perdigal tower just opposite the air traffic control tower. I went back but I preferred taking a path next to the road which was drier than the other one with some puddles. I went along some streets in that neighbourhood and took the sea front again after a little detour. Then, I went back to the start point but I stopped to walk for a minute every fifteen minutes. I did the last two kilometres which are marked on the surface in 12´45´´ nearly one minute slower than before. I got there in 84´30´´ and continued to cross the bridge on the dry river Andarax and turned back to complete 92 minutes and around 14 flat kilometres. I did some stretching at the sea front, which is next to the bicycle lane and drank some water. As I hadn´t had breakfast because I prefer going for a run with an empty stomach, I had three mandarins before having a shower. Nevertheless, when I take part in competitions, I have breakfast about three hours before the race.

22-02-2004, 03:34 PM,
week 10
Sunday. I decided to go one more day this week since last week I went for a run three days and yesterday I ran 14 kms instead of 16 as I should have done according to Hal Higdon´s marathon schedule. I went out at 8.45 am. At the park, I saw a green bottle of Carlsberg which reminded me of Copenhagen marathon, in which I expect Andy will get his PB in that distance. I also remembered Seafront Plodder, who was going to take part at Brighton half marathon this morning, reaching perhaps his PB. At the esplanade next to the park, I happened to meet Felipe. In another post, I mentioned that he´s also a teacher of English at a secondary school. It´s a pity that he usually only goes for a run once a week because if he trained more frequently he could lower his PB at half marathon a lot. His PB is around 1 hour 50 minutes. We went to the lighthouse at a slow pace getting there in 26 minutes. Then, we came back but took a short cut along the port next to the ferries. I couldn´t follow his pace in the last half kilometre. I arrived at the start point in 47´45´´. Then, we continued together for two more minutes because he had to go to buy some “churros” for his family. Wife, three daughters and mother-in-law. I went back to the park completing 54 minutes and around 8 kilometres.

23-02-2004, 03:16 PM,
week 10
Summary of week 10 I´ve gone for a run five days instead of four because I wanted to compensate last week´s three days and yesterday´s 14 kms instead of 16. I went to the gym on Wednesday as my cross-training activity. I feel quite well and I´m looking forward to taking part in other half marathons such as Cartagena on 7th March or Elche on 28th March which will be a test to see how I´m getting on towards Madrid marathon and see if my goal of finishing it under 4 hours thirty is realistic or not.

Summary of the first part of my marathon training.
My marathon training has reached its equator. I´ve done half my training and I feel glad with what I´ve managed to do so far. The most important thing is that I haven´t had an injury yet. Let´s touch wood. I´ve also taken part in my hometown half marathon lowering my last year time in 15 minutes. Besides, I´ve followed Hal Higdon´s schedule adapting it to my own circumstances. I had to do 281 kms and I´ve done 307. What I find harder is to do the long distance run at the weekend when it means doing more than ten miles/sixteen kilometres mainly due to lack of time or company to enjoy conversation with someone. I think I´ll find someone to come with me on bicycle so that I can have some water and food without having to carry it in a bag around my waist.

23-02-2004, 05:51 PM,
week 10
Quote:Originally posted by anlu247
[b]Wednesday. I had two plates of spaghetti and mushrooms with a little olive oil at 8.30pm. As I had burnt a lot of calories at the gym, I didn´t feel guilty. Besides, pasta is wonderful to get reserves for the long runs and it isn´t fattening. The problem is if you have it with fats or too many proteins. [/b]

Interesting statement, Antonio.

How exactly did you have your spaghetti? Did you fry the mushrooms in the oil?

I just read this while feeling hungry, so it caught my eye.

Some good stuff again. I like the detail ("I went downhill avenida del Mediterráneo and at the bridge a young man who looked Pakistani asked me the time. I stopped and fumbled in my watch which showed my chronometer to tell him it was twenty past seven. Then, I continued to take carretera de Sierra Alhamilla to get home in nearly 78 minutes")

Made me laugh, though I'm not sure why.

I hope I can get that PB at Copenhagen. No excuse not to, really.

Andy
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
23-02-2004, 06:31 PM,
week 10
Well, Andy, the best way is to get fresh mushrooms and fry them in a little olive oil with some garlic but as I´m usually in a hurry, I always have some mushrooms in a can so that I only have to heat them in the microwave and add them to the boiled spaghetti adding a little olive oil or you can grill them with some cheese. ¡Buen apetito!

Congratulations for having lost 4 pounds and for eating more fruit. Some fruit a day keeps the doctor away and gets your pounds away as well. Although I am a frugivore, unfortunately I also love sweet things such as cakes and similar things. I like your entries a lot. I really enjoyed your entry on Saturday. I laughed a lot when you mentioned how lucky your team was because if you went for a run when they were losing, when you came back they had won. I also liked the comments on the uselfulness of marriage by mentioning that you needed to have porridge but you didn´t have time to prepare it and you found M had left some for you unexpectedly.

Well, good luck with your training. I´m sure you´ll finish Copenhagen marathon with your PB and feeling great.

Antonio.

23-02-2004, 06:47 PM,
week 10
You're in pretty dangerous territory here, Antonio. You see, Arsenal aren't Andy's team (neither are they mine). "There's only one team in London" according to West Ham fans like me.

Queen's Park Rangers aren't bad on their day, as Andy will tell you.

However, a purely objective observer might accurately tell you that both teams could benefit from a prolonged visit on loan by one Monsieur Thierry Henri of Arsenal.
23-02-2004, 08:56 PM,
week 10
Arsenal are not my team, it's true, but I find it hard to dislike them these days because they play such good football. And if they're playing Chelsea, I'm even happier to cheer them on. Playing Celta Vigo tomorrow, incidentally.

Things are not looking great at QPR these days, sadly. After a good start to the season, we've hit a slippery patch, and are in danger of having to resign ourselves to the play-offs again. I'm not sure I could go through that again.

I notice West Ham are being a little more consistent now, Nigel. Good to see it. I think the Premiership is less interesting without them.

Antonio - do you have a favourite team?
El Gordo

24-02-2004, 11:05 AM,
week 10
Much as I hate to cheer on Celta Vigo, (as they are the OTHER team in Galicia), I find it impossible to support Arsenal. I've seen them lose twice to Deportivo (Yay). Never forgiven Arsenal for buying Ian Wright from Palace. I cannot remember seeing Palace win against the Arse.
24-02-2004, 01:36 PM,
week 10
Being an occasional Palace fan, I checked, and it seems they've only ever beaten Arsenal once - way back in Oct 1994 when Arsenal lost at home to them 1-2. Guess who kicked the lone goal for Arsenal? Yep, your mate Ian W.

I must say though RB, you hold a grudge a long time... when did Wright defect to the Arse? I think Noah was only up to "dogs" and "dolphins" in loading up the ark when that took place!

Sorry Antonio, we seem to have taken your training diary hostage to talk football. Blame Andy - he started all this.

MLC Man
Run. Just run.
24-02-2004, 01:59 PM,
week 10
Not guilty. It was Antonio. Or was it Nigel? Anyone but me...
El Gordo

24-02-2004, 03:00 PM,
week 10
I don´t mind, MLCM. I don´t know much about football in spite of having played as a goalkeeper when I was a teenager and later five-side football. I consider myself a Real Madrid supporter. However, I´m not very passionate. In fact, I just watch the results and the best goals on the television news after the matches. I can´t stand nearly two hours sitting on a sofa watching a football match. By the way, this evening Real Madrid are playing Bayern Munich in the Bavarian city. Apparently, Real Madrid has never beaten Bayern in Munich. Let´s expect that David Beckham will change our luck today.

Good luck with your teams in the competitions, amigos! Smile

Antonio

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Week 1. Madrid marathon. Antonio247 7 3,105 23-04-2004, 05:45 PM
Last Post: Antonio247
  Week 2 Antonio247 6 3,017 20-04-2004, 05:24 PM
  Week four Antonio247 31 13,976 13-04-2004, 07:51 AM
Last Post: El Gordo
  Week 3 Antonio247 4 2,218 13-04-2004, 07:49 AM