Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
All Blobbed Out
05-01-2004, 07:48 PM,
All Blobbed Out
I sit here, perhaps the only one without a cold, but 10lbs heavier than 28 October Eek which was the day after I ran my second marathon, the last couple of months of sloth and gluttony have taken their toll. Andy said it would happen, I knew it would happen, and as sure as eggs is eggs, happen it did.

Two measley runs in two months, but finally I believe the enthusiasm is returning. Not that I've actually been out running yet, but I'm prepared to talk about it; prepared to admit that I am beginning to miss it, and the anticipation is exciting. Sad?......perhaps, but I am sure many of you will know what I mean.

I will run tomorrow evening, beginning to build up for a half towards the end of Feb which is already entered. I know it will hurt, and I really don't expect to cover more than 2 miles, but rightly or wrongly I do actually expect to be able to build up the distances again quite quickly. I'll see.

Antonio, thank you for your diaries, they make very motivational reading. We both are fortunate enough to be able to run along the seafront - but only one of us is able to contemplate a swim at the same time!! Keep up the entries.

Andy.
05-01-2004, 09:27 PM,
All Blobbed Out
Good move, Andy. Two months is, let's say, a generous recuperation period, but I'd say you need at least 4 or 5 weeks rest after a marathon, and by then you were well into December, so probably a bit pointless trying to get back to running before Christmas.

I had a break of around the same period after I did the FLM in 2002. I was dreading running for the first time afterwards, but actually it wasn't too bad at all. I thought I'd have to go right back to basics with an alternating run/walk schedule, slowly building up again to 30 minutes and beyond. But no, I went for an admittedly slow 35 or 40 minute jog without any walking at all. I felt sort of heavy and bloated and unfit, but I was expecting that. It took just a week or so to really feel that I was back into it.

The only thing I'd say is be wary of doing too much too soon. But you know all that stuff, I'm sure. Easy to get a pulled muscle after a lay-off.

Keep us informed.

Good luck,

Andy
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
05-01-2004, 11:00 PM,
All Blobbed Out
Hello, Andy ( Seafront Plodder )

I´ve also taken some weight at Christmas, nearly two kilos ( about 4 pounds ) but I´m sure we can lose the weight we´ve gained by eating less and doing more exercise.

I´m glad we both share running along a seafront. It´s very relaxing to look at the sea while you´re running.

Thanks for encouraging me with my training diary. The fact that I have to tell you all what I´ve done helps me to follow the schedule and be more motivated. I think, as Andy ( Running commentary )
says, you will succeed in the half marathon you intend to do by the end of february. Besides, you have already finished a marathon, which is really hard. I advise you to start again slowly and it could be good to run 9 or 10 minutes and walk one, at least the first weeks to feel better and to avoid injuries and overtraining.

Well, Andy, good luck. I hope you will reach your goals.

Greetings from Almería Saludos desde Almería
Antonio

06-01-2004, 09:37 PM,
All Blobbed Out
Quote:Regrettably posted by andy
.........Keep us informed..........

I had a cr@p day at work today Sad On the way home I'd virtually decided to open a bottle and slump in front of Holby/Emmerdale/Corrie/they're-all-as-shite-as-each-other - until I remembered, what I'd said on here yesterday. Sad or what??

Well I did go out, damn well enjoyed it, and covered a tad over 3 miles in 31 minutes. I could have gone on, but best not to do too much too soon. Breathing was fine but the lower back started to ache. Not that that's too worrying, since I remember when I was an (absolute) beginner, and again after the FLM lay off it did the same.

Does anyone remember the old breathing ploy from when they were beginners? You start to get out of breath, and then you know, just know, that one big breath, almost like a yawn, will get you over the breathlessness and everything will be ok. I remember when I first managed that without stopping, and that it was a major kilometrestone Smile Well it was surprisingly easy tonight, and for that reason I wanted to go on - the back disagreeing....

I ran along the seafront, watching the fisherman down by the shore ostensibly casting for sea bass; only the 'Scchhhtt' of their cans revealing their true purpose.

Yes, the first run back - first of the new season felt gooood, I may even do it all again.Smile

A.
06-01-2004, 09:50 PM,
All Blobbed Out
Hurrah!

Well done Andy, and good report.

There's a vacancy in the training diary forum y'know...

Andy
El Gordo

06-01-2004, 10:36 PM,
All Blobbed Out
Congratulations, Andy

As the Chinese proverb says, more or less, a long journey starts with the first step.

It would be great if you shared with us your training diary.

Good luck

Antonio

14-01-2004, 04:27 PM,
All Blobbed Out
My Christmas present to Mrs SP was a weekend away at an hotel cum health club, and very relaxing it was too. Whilst she was having some sort of weird indian head massage I whiled away an hour on the treadmill. I'd never run facing a full length mirror before, not sure I ever want to again, but thankfully it was made just about bearable by the lycra-clad stunner that decided to run next to me.

I'm pleased to have been able to have run for the full 60 minutes, incorporating a bit of fartlek and so on...Smile I did 10.75kms, and burned 1057 calories by the way....zzz

I do however have one question. How can hotels such as these sleep at night when they charge £13.95 for a bottle of pissporter (sic).

We settled for an £18 or so bottle of over-priced merlot with our steak and lambs liver, but I would really like to know. Hobsons choice is the logical answer.Sad

Out later for another run,. Sadly though without my treadmill partner.

A.
15-01-2004, 09:02 PM,
All Blobbed Out
No answer on the wine point, which was actually meant as a serious question.

Last night's run was an unmitigated disaster Sad It was around force 5 as I drove down to the seafront. I spent the 3 minute drive down there wondering whether to run into the wind to start with, or with it. ( 2 places to park at opposite ends of the seafront road) I opted for the former which with hindsight, was a mistake.

I was fooked after 2.5 miles and the lower back started to ache again so I called it a day and stopped off at the offie on the way home. I consoled myself with the thought that a bad run does me slightly more good than no run at all.

Roll on the weekend, things can only get bedder!!
15-01-2004, 10:24 PM,
All Blobbed Out
Piesporter, SP? Not a wine I would choose to drink either, but there must be a demand for it, I suppose, particularly from people who aren't regular wine drinkers. It's a while since I've drunk any German wine at all in fact but there are some great Germans out there, particularly good quality Rieslings with a bit of bottle age. Piesporter and Liebfraumilch (do they still make that stuff?) are at the other end of the scale but to be honest, the wine trade quite likes them as they introduce a lot of people to wine. Or used to. Maybe things have moved on a bit since I worked in it.

As for selling it in a restaurant for that sort of price, well what can I say? They can put it on the menu for £100 if they want. It's up to the punters whether they buy it at that price. The mantra I'm always hearing is that restaurants charge a 100% mark up, but it's obviously far more in this case.

Where was your merlot from incidentally? That sounds a pretty hefty price too. Mind you, I don't suppose you Brighton area dwellers would baulk at that....

Sorry to hear that the run wasn't a great success. It happens. And it will happen again. I quite like the fact that running is unpredictable like this. It makes the good ones even better. Next time, you'll have a great one, trust me...
El Gordo

16-01-2004, 12:24 AM,
All Blobbed Out
[quote]Originally posted by andy
Piesporter and Liebfraumilch (do they still make that stuff?) are at the other end of the scale but to be honest, the wine trade quite likes them as they introduce a lot of people to wine.

Over here in Oz, that old Blue Nun liebfraumilch has had a revival ... not sure how successfully, mind. As you say Andy, it was a good way to introduce people to wine... I was even known to drink the odd bottle myself (with the paper bag firmly over my head) in my mis-spent, bankrupt youth.

Wouldn't admit to it now of course...

MLC Man
Run. Just run.
16-01-2004, 09:16 AM,
All Blobbed Out
Ah...Blue Nun and Black Tower were the only wines my dear old Dad would buy at Christmas. Other sorts of wine weren't invented in Manchester until after 1980.

Pasta wasn't invented until 1986 either (although I don't count Heinz as proper pasta), but fortunatly curry was available much early than that, although its appearance in the Parkinson household was exceedingly rare, unless it was curry sauce on chips from across the road.
Cheers
Parky
17-01-2004, 09:33 PM,
All Blobbed Out
...of legs that were running.

Whoever said that was spot on! I'd only intended to run 3 miles this evening, and ended up running 6 Eek and I could have easily gone on.

No lower back ache, and all in all I felt wonderful. After the midweek disaster I really am pleased with this run, as it also means that I can have a guinness or 8 this evening safe in the knowledge that this week's longee is out of the way. I took the MP3 player to take my mind off the pain I was expecting, but it didn't happen, probably thanks to the Queen album I listened to.

Every so often I get the urge to spend saturday evening in the (new) kitchen - Garth Brooks on the stereo (don't ask), and prepare a masterpiece. Well this afternoon I went to the local fishmonger, and bought 6 scallops for £6.47 Eek. Along with associated slimey bits of seafood, I cooked a paella of which Antonio's grandma would be proud. Parsley, lemon and everything! Smile

That earned me sufficient brownie points to go and play golf tomorrow with a couple of mates, that's as well as playing on Monday in an organised society I belong to. Does life get any better?

I realise this is turning into a bit of a diary. Is anyone reading it or shall I stop whittering on?
17-01-2004, 10:19 PM,
All Blobbed Out
It´s very interesting, Andy. I´m glad you are feeling so well again and you enjoyed "paella". Rice, as all carbohydrates, are wonderful to store before long runs.

Tomorrow is my long run. I intend to do part of the half marathon course.

Well, good luck, Andy. Enjoy golf tomorrow.

Antonio ( another seafront plodder ).

18-01-2004, 10:59 AM,
All Blobbed Out
Good to see you back in form, SP. And keep on reporting on progress. It's always interesting to hear how everyone's doing. Remember, you can have your own space (like Antonio's) if you want.

I know what you mean about the feeling of "job done". I felt that yesterday after a good 7.5 miles in the morning. I proceeded to the football, where we beat your local team in a rather bloodthirsty game, followed by a gallon or so decent beer and a takeaway. Did I care about the calories? I did not care about the calories. With the run under my belt I felt able to have some guiltless fun.

I've not done anything yet about the Brighton Half, incidentally. Five weeks to go. I'll have to decide shortly whether to do it.

Andy
El Gordo

20-01-2004, 08:40 PM,
All Blobbed Out
.........too hung up on really accurate distances. A quick drive around the route in the car will do for me. Ian Painter, (a better runner than I will ever be) on his website manages to record such astonishing distances as 3.062 miles! He must have invested in some serious piece of kit to get that sort of accuracy. With such satellite technology available to the average Joe (or Ian Smile ), I wonder what military intelligence (yes yes I know it's an oxymoron) is capable of?

I was thinking these dark thoughts as I went for a speed session/fartlek jobbie tonight of around 3.5 miles.

I really did up the pace after the first 0.5 mile of warm-up plodding, having parked the car at the top of a fairly steep hill so the incline is what I had to finish with. The session was quite a success insofar as I almost collapsed at the top, across the bonnet of the car; but with arms pumping and spit flailing, I did manage to complete the hill without stopping.

Many runners better than I advocate speed and hill work to build ......well speed and endurance really, and I guess plodders like me avoid it, cos it hurts.

Time will tell whether I have gained more out of tonight's furious session, than I would have out of a longer plod. At the moment I feel like it has been a success, but also desperately hope that the next one will be a shade easier.
20-01-2004, 11:35 PM,
All Blobbed Out
Quote:Originally posted by Seafront Plodder
Many runners better than I advocate speed and hill work to build ......well speed and endurance really, and I guess plodders like me avoid it, cos it hurts.

I think Galloway in his book calls hill climbing "speed work in disguise". Personally, I'd rather climb a hill than do 400m sprints, which is convenient, coz I live on one. Also, coming down the hill gives one a chance to achieve some "non-plodding" speed, although that doesn't stop me being overtaken by people 20+ years older than me (putting them in the age pension category), as happened to me this morning. Fortunately I run with a paper bag over my head, although that hasn't helped much, being known as I am as "that mad middle-aged bastard who jogs with his head in a bag". Also it gets soggy in the rain. No risk of hyper-ventilating though.

Speaking of breathing, another thing I like about downhill running is that I find it is much easier to develop some genuine rhythm - when running downhill I find my breathing just clicks into synch with my legs beautifully (well, sometimes) and zoom - off we go at 1 min/km faster than usual. Wonderful! Bloody excellent way to finish a run I tell you... my family hates it coz I come home gushing with endorphins and they're just trying to cope with life, which in our house at breakfast time with three teenage boys is more full of testosterone and rather less of the endorphins. Oh well, one day they'll all be middle aged, and then I can out-run them, eh? Perhaps? Please?

MLC Man
Run. Just run.
22-01-2004, 06:47 PM,
All Blobbed Out
Welcome, Andy, to the marathon training diary club. It´ll be great to read how you´re getting on.

Regards

Antonio

26-01-2004, 01:53 AM,
All Blobbed Out
OK SP,
Ever since you've had your own diary space, you've stopped writing. I was so enjoying it too, hope things are ok.

I'm starting to regret moving to the US, there's not much chance of bumping into the RunningCommentary runners over here.
26-01-2004, 08:59 PM,
All Blobbed Out
I've stopped writing cos I haven't run all week. No particular reason, life just got in the way. Still, I've been out this evening so perhaps I'll start a new thread and bore you some more. Hmmm.......