Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Week 17
30-12-2003, 09:39 PM,
Week 17
I´ve decided to start a new thread for each week so that it can be read more easily. Besides, I think it can be better to write the report every day instead of waiting to end the week to send the whole week report.

Week 17. 29th December- 4th January.

Weight 81,3 kg. one more than the previous week. I´m eating too many "mantecados" and "turrones".

On Monday I went to the sea front and did some stretching. Then I went jogging along the beach since I think that running along the sand is better for the muscles than the pavement or asphalt. I went as far as the mouth of the dry river Andarax and I stopped to do some stretching. It took me 23 minutes. I saw another runner who was also stretching in that lonely place. I felt all right with no discomfort in my right calf. Then I returned doing the same course in the same time. I added two more minutes. Then I walked back and did some more stretching. In all, I did 48 minutes and around 6 kms. I enjoyed the run a lot along the sand of the beach. The day was warm, and the sea invited to go for a swim. If I had had a pair of sandals to wear after the swim, I wouldn´t have minded a swim. Although the water must have been cold, once you´ve sweated a little after running, it´s wonderful to swim for a few minutes. Perhaps, another day.

31-12-2003, 02:11 PM,
Week 17
On Wednesday at 9.15 a.m. I went to Almadrabillas park where I usually start running. I did some stretching and left for Almería´s port lighthouse. I decided to run 9 minutes and walk one minute to avoid injuries. I got to the lighthouse in 26´58´´. Before getting there I saw Felipe, a friend of mine who also likes running and he´s a teacher of English as well. I told him to go back to the lighthouse which was only 600 metres away but he told me that I could reach him later. I told him it would be impossible since he´s faster than me. Anyway, he was waiting for me when I arrived at the park. He told me that he hasn´t trained much lately. After talking a little more, we wished each other a happy new year. I did some more stretching and went back home. I liked the experience of running 9 minutes and walking one. I did in all 53´41´´ in about 8 kms, which is the same time I had done some weeks earlier without walking. Today, I felt less tired and probably it helps me prevent injuries. Happy New Year. Feliz Año Nuevo.

02-01-2004, 01:41 PM,
Week 17
On Friday I went for my first training of the new year. It was a warm sunny day. I crossed Avenida Cabo de Gata and did some stretching. Then I decided to go towards the river until I had done 25 minutes. I saw some other people running along the sea front. Most of them I know them by sight. There´s a young man who always runs very fast and a young woman who I always see her doing the same route, along the sea front towards Nicolás Salmerón park near the port. I ran for 9 minutes and walked another one as the previous day. It took me 16´58´´ to get to the end of the first part of the sea front. Then I went on along the road to the university and turned left at the bridge on river Andarax which I followed, it is dry, until I had done 25 minutes. Then, I did the same way back, reaching my start/finish line in 48´50´´. I completed until I did 50 minutes, about 7 kilometres. Then, I walked backwards for two minutes and did some stretching.

02-01-2004, 10:46 PM,
Week 17
Your running environment sounds very pleasant, Antonio. I'm still not well enough to run properly, but have been walking. Lots of mud around though.

Please keep telling us about your training - it's interesting to hear.

Andy
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
03-01-2004, 04:26 AM,
Week 17
I'm curious about the walking backwards. What is the purpose? (yet another thing to add?)

LOL. I love my title of plodder. It's so perfect!
03-01-2004, 10:53 AM,
Week 17
Hi Liz

I got a bit bored with the "Junior member" and "Member" default titles, so did a bit of dabbling. You now start off as a couch potato, and end up... well, I'll leave you in suspense. It changes with the number of posts.

Andy
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
03-01-2004, 02:30 PM,
Week 17
Ha, I've just re-set mine to see what Andy has come up with, 5k racer? I don't think so... Eek
03-01-2004, 10:40 PM,
Week 17
I´m glad you´re feeling better, Andy. I´m sure you´ll be able to go on with your marathon programme soon.

I´m glad with my running environment since I find it very relaxing to have the chance to go for a run and with just walking two minutes from home see the bay of Almería on one side and on the other several ranges of mountains, some of them with snow in winter. Besides, I´m lucky with the weather because it isn´t cold in winter although in summer it can be very hot. So, most people prefer training early in the morning or late in the evening in summer. I think you´re heroes running in winter with low temperatures, rain, slippery surfaces, etc.

Liz, I walk backwards after training because I read somewhere it is good to avoid injuries mainly in the knees. Someone noticed that defence basketball players had to run/walk backwards a lot and they seldom got knee injuries. They thought that it could be because they walk/run backwards a lot. Anyway, I think it must be good to use the muscles in the opposite way you have used them previously. I don´t know if it is good or not to avoid injuries but I find it interesting to do it at the park when I´ve finished running. Afterwards, I do some stretching, especially to avoid a calf injury, which is what I most fear.

Well, good luck, everybody.

03-01-2004, 11:00 PM,
Week 17
On Saturday I went on a bicycle ride at 4.40 pm. Although the morning had been sunny, the afternoon turned a little cloudy and windy. So I decided not to go along the seaside and I took the road towards Baños de Sierra Alhamilla but going through ground lanes and quiet roads. I saw some farms with olive , orange, lemon trees and cows, goats, sheep. I even had to slow down because in a local road there was a flock of sheep with its shepherd and two dogs going along the road for a few metres. It is surprising to think that I was just five or six kms from where I live and it looked as if I was in the middle of the countryside. I went through Huércal de Almería and crossed river Andarax but when I had been riding for forty minutes on my way to the Baños, I had to come back because it could get dark and I could have an accident if I had to ride at dark without a bicycle light. I took the same route back. I even found out new possible routes to go for a run. Actually, I saw a few people running along the river path.

In all, I rode on bicycle for 80 minutes doing about 20 kms.

04-01-2004, 09:43 PM,
Week 17
On Sunday I went for a run with Riccardo, an Italian man I met at the Mojácar race last August and at the Dalías race last September. We were the last ones in Dalías and we had the chance to talk a lot along the race. He´s very friendly. We met last Wednesday in Almería with his wife and daughter who have come on holidays to Aguamarga and had a drink at a café. Then, we decided to meet today for a run. We went from the sea front, just opposite the auditorium “Maestro Padilla” along the sea front to the university and farther on to Costacabana sea front where we turned back when we had been running for 40 minutes. We saw a friend of mine, Antonio L., who also ran at Dalías and at El Ejido San Silvestre and he went with us for ten minutes but his pace is faster. In fact, his BP is 1 hour 35 minutes in half marathon, so he went on alone. It was a sunny day but a little windy. We noticed the wind against on our way back. It took us 46 minutes the way back. Although I found it a little hard to follow Riccardo´s pace when we were coming back. I managed to get with him to the finish line. When we arrived at the starting point. we did some stretching and had some water and energy bars. In all, we did 86 minutes and around 13 kms.

Summary of week 17. Two weeks have already gone. Time flies and Christmas holidays are nearly over, just three more days. I´m feeling better this second week because I have been running four days instead of three and doing more or less the same amount of time and distance than the previous one. This week I have also experienced doing nine minutes running and one walking on Wednesday and Friday, which helps you feel less tired. [ 4 running days / 34 kms – 1 cycling day / 20 kms.]

06-01-2004, 09:33 AM,
Week 17
Gracias por el reportaje, Antonio. Creo que conozco estos bares de Lucainena de las Torres y Turillas. Es una carretera bastante emocionante hacia la pizzeria en Nijar, no ...... ?
06-01-2004, 07:55 PM,
Week 17
Hola, Nigel

Veo que sabes más español que yo inglés. ¿Cómo aprendiste tanto?

Me alegro de que el informe sobre Lucainena y Turrillas te recordara tu estancia por tierras de Almería. Espero que puedas volver por aquí y así conocernos y salir a correr por algún sitio interesante.Precisamente, esta tarde he estado corriendo con un amigo italiano por un sitio muy bonito en Aguamarga. Hemos ido a Cala Enmedio por un camino y regresado por otro.

Saludos desde Almería
Antonio

English translation

Hello, Nigel

I can see that you know more Spanish than I do English. How did you learn so much?

I´m glad that the repor on Lucainena and Turrillas reminded you your stay in the area of Almería. I hope you can come back here and that way we can meet and go for a run in an interesting place. As a matter of fact, this afternoon I went for a run with an Italian friend in a very beautiful place at Aguamarga. We went to Cala Enmedio along one path and came back along another one.

Greetings from Almería
Antonio

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Week 1. Madrid marathon. Antonio247 7 3,107 23-04-2004, 05:45 PM
Last Post: Antonio247
  Week 2 Antonio247 6 3,019 20-04-2004, 05:24 PM
  Week four Antonio247 31 13,977 13-04-2004, 07:51 AM
Last Post: El Gordo
  Week 3 Antonio247 4 2,219 13-04-2004, 07:49 AM