Stratford-upon-Avon Marathon
18-12-2003, 04:00 PM,
I just found out I didn't make it into the London marathon, which I'm thinking may even be a good thing. While I enjoyed having the crowd cheer me on, especially in the last couple of miles, it was rather difficult maneuvering around all the people.

Anyhow, just wondering if anyone has run the Stratford-upon-Avon marathon which is a week later than London? Is it a good one? By which I mean - is it flat? I train on hills, but just hate running them and don't want to end up in a marathon with hills. I'm planning on changing my flight arrangements (hopefully) in order to do this marathon instead of London. (I'm from Calgary, Canada). If I'm not successful in changing my flight, then I'm looking at the new Lisbon marathon which runs April 18th. Or does anyone know of other marathons on the 18th - in England?

Thanks for your help everyone! And have a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Good running!

Suzie
18-12-2003, 11:26 PM,
Hi Suzy,
I have run the Stratford marathon. I enjoyed it, but don't know that I would fly across the Atlantic for it, unless you plan on spending a few days on a cultural tour of England.

If you can change your flight plans accordingly, I would substitute London for Paris, which is a week or so earlier.

If you want to know more about Stratford or Paris, just let me know.
19-12-2003, 11:17 AM,
In the UK, there's also the Lochaber marathon the week after London. This is in Scotland, and said to be very picturesque. Very different from London, but many people enjoy it.

Take a look at http://www.marathonguide.com to see what else is going on around that time. (You may want to look at the 2003 events at the corresponding time, as not all the 2004 races are up yet. They tend to stick to the same weekend the following year, but obviously do check with the relevant websites).

Let us know what you decide. I'm planning on doing one the week after London too. Currently it's a choice between Stratford, Lochaber, Padua (Italy), Madrid and Wroclaw (Poland). I'm not in any hurry to reach a decision, but will probably go for one of the non-UK ones, even though both are well thought of.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
19-12-2003, 12:51 PM,
Hi Suzie
Bad luck about London. There is a thread on this year's Shakespeare Marathon earlier in this forum. It's a mid-sized race which offers a different, much more rural atmosphere than London.

Most of the two-lap Stratford course is very flat indeed, along an old railway line now called The Greenway, but there is one short stiff incline and one longer hill on each loop. The race starts at 1pm, so it can get quite warm and it's not an easy PB course. About 450 runners completed the marathon last year, a number almost 50% up over the past two years, probably as the popularity of London has increasingly exceeded demand. There is a half marathon with about 1500 runners on the same course, so plenty of company on lap one. Much sparser on lap 2.

Ian and I both ran this race last year. You can find Ian's report at: http://www.ianpainter.com/shakespeare_marathon_2003.htm ,
whilst my own version lurks in Andy's 'Writing About Running' section of the Running Commentary website.

It's a very well-organised, friendly and scenic event, and I'd definitely consider doing the half marathon in future, if not the marathon again here just yet.
19-12-2003, 02:43 PM,
Thanks for all your comments - I've read the reports on the Stratford marathon. Seems like there are a couple of hills! Hard to find a race without one or two I guess.

I did change my flight (it's on points so you never know) to come in to London on the 20th of April. Think I'll make my way to Stratford for the weekend and plan on doing that marathon. The comments about it being picturesque and not many people is appealing. Although starting a race at 1:00 p.m. seems rather late...but I could like that, getting to sleep in will be a treat.

I like to book a cheap flight out of London to some place warm for a week or so, so will do that when I first get to London. It may seem strange to you people living in England, but it's cheaper for me to fly to London and book a trip from there than to go directly from here. Plus spending time in London (and surrounding area) is always fun - although expensive!

Thanks again everyone. Perhaps we'll connect up at some time in the future, or be in the same race.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  3 hour radio celebration of marathon running today El Gordo 9 22,800 18-11-2017, 02:08 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  2013 World Athletics Championships Marathon Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 0 6,068 17-08-2013, 10:13 PM
  Almería Half Marathon, 28 Jan 2007 El Gordo 139 114,388 01-04-2013, 10:31 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  London Marathon Stories Sweder 2 10,372 30-04-2012, 12:23 PM
  sub 2-hour marathon glaconman 0 8,934 12-04-2011, 10:31 AM
Last Post: glaconman
  marathon nerves johnnyb 20 12,855 28-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Katy.a
  race report two oceans marathon amit 5 4,913 27-04-2008, 09:51 PM
  training update two oceans marathon amit 12 8,311 25-03-2008, 01:28 PM
Last Post: Seafront Plodder
  Whos doing the Dublin Marathon 2007 Gersrunning 27 14,485 25-01-2008, 09:27 AM
Last Post: lizoconnortalk21
  2008 London Marathon Places Grooms-Shaftesbury 0 2,671 14-01-2008, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Grooms-Shaftesbury