letsgetandyrunningagain.org.uk
21-06-2003, 03:46 PM,
C'mon Andy. Let's hear from you. Your running diary seems to have dried up. Writer's block? Or are you too busy ghostwriting for JK Rowling? I know: you're writing a novel "Harry Potter and The Theale Running Shoe Caper" or "Andy Tries a New Route and Ends Up in Diagon Alley, Forever".

Seriously though, it would be great to read some running escapades.................
21-06-2003, 05:56 PM,
Hi Griff

I'm touched.

I keep telling people who've been kind enough to email me, that I'm just about to start posting entries again. And I am. Just about to. Honest.

I'm back pounding the streets again, and this morning I ran the Datchet Dash. Even managed a PB, though in my case that's not saying a lot. I've still not managed to dip below the magical 60 minute mark, but am now within a tantalising 33 seconds of it.

I've been writing entries in my head for the past week, and I really will get something up very soon. Possibly even this evening.

Give my regards to Yate.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
24-06-2003, 01:25 PM,
HURRAY!!! Andy's back Big Grin

Delighted that you made the PB and are continuing on to Dublin Smile I would've found it odd tackling marathon training without reading your experiences at the same time - it helps tremendously reading your diary since you make it clear that you find this hard too. Plus I don't get enough British humour out here in New Jersey.

Welcome back Smile
24-06-2003, 10:37 PM,
Thanks very much Liz. It's good to BE back.

Are you doing Chicago again this year?
El Gordo

25-06-2003, 03:05 PM,
Grrrrreat! Andy is running again!! And writing too!!! I was a little worried about your early morning runs though. I used to do that but found that I was flagging a bit mid afternoon (a bit dangerous for me since I would normally be tanking down a motorway somewhere on the way to the last customer for the day or even on the way home). Quite often had to find a lay-by or m-way services for forty winks. Still, Andy, at least you can snooze on the train, dreaming about fresh carbo intake the following morning. I now feel quite enthused and will head off down the lanes of Yate tonight........
25-06-2003, 09:51 PM,
Good man.

It's taken me a while to get used to early morning running, but it's become my favourite time of day to do it.

Plenty of reasons:

I seem to be waking much earlier now than previously. For the past few months I've been awake by about 5:30 each morning, despite not being in bed very early (around midnight). It's a much greater wrench to get out of bed after an alarm clock has yanked me from my dreams.

When the weather's hot, it's the best time of day to run. The air is relatively cool and fresh.

Not many people about.

For me it's really invigorating, and I feel strangely... brainy when I get to work, particularly in the morning.

It gets the run out of the way for the day. I'm not spending the day wondering if I'll get home in time, or whether I'll be motivated enough. It leaves the evening free to do all those other summer evening activities.

The only downside is that I've heard that running early in the day can increase the risk of injury as the muscles haven't had the chance to warm up. So it's probably not a good idea to go flat out. Shame!

Yes, I do feel pretty knackered later in the afternoon, though I don't know if that's because I've run early, or just the fact that I've woken early, and would be just as sleepy if I'd not run.

Anyway, having said all that, today I ran at lunchtime, getting in about 4.5 miles around Wormwood Scrubs. I'll say more about it when I next do an entry - which won't be tonight as I'm too sleepy.

Keep us updated on the running progress, Griff.
El Gordo

25-06-2003, 09:56 PM,
Mmmm. Another coincidence. I used to live about a mile from the Scrubs about twenty years ago.
25-06-2003, 09:58 PM,
What were you in for?
El Gordo

01-07-2003, 02:56 AM,
Well I couldn't answer before since I hadn't really decided, but I'm pretty sure that I'm going to do Chicago again this year. I loved it. Smile

My other option was the towpath marathon in Akron, Ohio (on the same day so it was easy to start training), but a couple of things are making me lean towards Chicago. Firstly it's a big marathon and there are (as you know) masses of spectators giving support - the towpath is small and I'd be alone a lot I think. I don't believe I'm fast enough or experienced enough to enjoy the race so much if I'm trotting along by myself. Yet. Wink
Secondly I have a friend in Chicago who's going to move to Florida soon and since I doubt I'll visit Chicago as frequently when he isn't there, I have a few restaurants that I need to get back to! Lastly, I've been watching my DVD of last year's marathon quite a lot lately and I'm feeling inspired!

I've also signed up for Richmond, VA, five weeks later. I have an internet buddy who did Pittsburgh this year and went out too fast and had to walk from 10 miles onwards. I might be nuts attempting these so close together, but I believe I can pace her well enough to get her to the finish in under her 6:22 and it would be fun. I hope! An experience anyway.

Then I have London next April... Send around the men in the white coats!