Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
January
11-01-2010, 10:42 AM, (This post was last modified: 14-01-2010, 07:57 PM by stillwaddler.)
January
tready 4.0
rest
tready 7.0
rest
tready 3.1
rest - off work due to snow
tready 5.0
tready 3.1
rest
tready 11.0

This is an extract from my Brighton Marathon training log for the last few days. No outdoor runs at all as the pavements are still thickly covered in oh so slippery compacted icy snow and although my 3 year old Get-A-Grip Advanced traction overlays are doing sterling work on my shoes keeping me striding out confidently on my walk to work, they aren’t quite big enough to fit over my trainers. I have tried to buy a larger size but my original supplier in the UK has sold out. I sourced a supply in the US last week and they are winging their way to me now just in time for the thaw…never mind, they’ll come in for future years. I can’t recommend them too highly. US supplier is www.noslipstore.com I contacted Eric - who seems very affable - and they ship to the UK daily apparently.

11 miles on the tready on Saturday at the gym was tedious in the extreme. I switched machines 3 times just to have a change of scenery, not that it helped much but I can at least tick it off the schedule. I have mixed Hal’s novice schedule for the current marathon campaign…long runs from the novice 2 schedule, mid week runs from the novice 1, nothing too taxing for my elderly legs you understand :-). I’ve still got an annoying niggle in the region of my left hip, it's been a nuisance for the last couple of months, it doesn’t hurt when I run, but can be v.painful lying in bed?? I suspect a tight ITB, but haven’t been to the docs to get it checked out yet.

I have been using the Asics Gel Kyanos that I got for a rock bottom bargain price from a friend of one of my sons this time last year but had saved for a while before using (do they really degrade if you don’t wear them???). I love the cushioning, the overall ride and support offered, however they do seem just a tad short in the toe region, so I have been really wicked and ordered another larger pair, am eagerly awaiting their arrival, but even though I got nearly £40 off the usual price I am still feeling really guilty.

Wish I was going to Almeria :-(

Forgot to add, I am also on the wagon for January, have been doing this for many years after the Christmas excess, funny how I don't really miss it? However, after helping number two child to move into a lovely flat at Salford Quays with his girlfriend - only one left at home now :-) - felt the need for a refreshing beer, tried a Holstein alchohol free jobby, not bad at all, def. tastes like lager and is much much better than the Kaliber muck, but just not the same as a pint of the Black Stuff, never mind, it gives me something to look forward to when I toast you all as you finish in Almeria.
Phew this is hard work !
15-01-2010, 10:44 AM,
RE: January
I am reluctant to admit amongst the running purists here abouts, but all training so far this week has also been on the tready. The pavements are the worst I have ever seen them, rain during the night has made the packed snow impossibly slick but if it keeps on raining who knows, maybe my planned 12 miler will be alfresco this weekend, but I won't hold my breath.
Phew this is hard work !
15-01-2010, 11:26 AM,
Stirling effort on the cursed machine SW. Some impressive mileage too: 11 miles on a treadmill cannot be easy.
In many ways your achievements outweight those of us lucky enough to have a steady outdoor playground to run in.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

17-01-2010, 10:57 PM, (This post was last modified: 17-01-2010, 10:57 PM by stillwaddler.)
another run, another 12 miles, legs ok so far :-) It's still v.cold up here in Scotland though...
http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/gb/north%2...9887956156
Phew this is hard work !
20-01-2010, 09:16 AM,
t was so nice to get our in the air at lunchtime yesterday, steady 3 miler from Hal's schedule to add to the Scottish trip. Fairly warm but the reservoirs where still under thick ice. So odd to think of MLCM wilting under heat the other side of the globe.
Phew this is hard work !
21-01-2010, 07:16 AM,
(20-01-2010, 09:16 AM)stillwaddler Wrote: ... So odd to think of MLCM wilting under heat the other side of the globe.

Yes. It's 41C (106F) as I write this... Mrs MLCM and I have been out shopping for a new car in this, and we're both feeling rather ... insane.

Faint
Run. Just run.
22-01-2010, 01:11 PM,
Wow MLCM here's hoping the new car has an extremely efficient air con unit :-)
Phew this is hard work !
25-01-2010, 01:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 25-01-2010, 01:16 PM by stillwaddler.)
yet another ruddy cold - hanen't felt truly well since getting the 'flu, had to junk a planned 5 miler last week, but did do the step back distnace of 9 on Saturday. Just a mile into the run bumped into a couple I haven't seen in ages, 10 minute chat ensued. a mile further on my mp3 player refused to go to cd 10 of the novel I was listening too - typical, it was just getting to the good bit..a mile further on and the battery went altogether, so took a detour home to refresh batteries. Chapter 10 duly found battery loaded and I resumed plodding, it wasn't pretty, it wasn't fast, but the nime miles have been banked. As the weather was cold and foggy it didn't do my cough much good, but never mind. A 14 miler awaits me on the schedule for next weekend - eek.
Phew this is hard work !
25-01-2010, 03:03 PM,
Keep it up SW, these things are sent to try us. I don't know what your philosophy on colds is... normally I would try to run through them, but I have a hacking cough and last night my body said that an hour out in the cold and rain would be a bad idea. It was a step back week, so I just stepped back to zero. Probably your top priority is to be healthy for that 14 miler. Good luck!
25-01-2010, 04:07 PM,
Keep it up SW, sounds like you're doing fine. We'll raise our glasses to you in Almeria next Sunday. Shame you couldn't have done your long run with us there. One year we'll get you over there.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
26-01-2010, 12:22 AM,
Yeah good work sw, hope you get better soon. Remember the chicken soup.
Run. Just run.
26-01-2010, 05:34 AM,
Good on you for roughing it out SW. Many would have converted those omens into cast iron excuses and abandoned the run. You're clearly made of stronger stuff Smile

26-01-2010, 11:22 AM,
(25-01-2010, 01:15 PM)stillwaddler Wrote: As the weather was cold and foggy it didn't do my cough much good, but never mind

You need to keep warm. I've heard there may be a gorilla suit going spare...

Big Grin
El Gordo

27-01-2010, 04:35 PM, (This post was last modified: 27-01-2010, 04:40 PM by stillwaddler.)
oohh I'd love the gorilla suit, did a 6 miler at lunchtime today and it was absolutely freezing, really cold wind with a nasty gash of sleety drizzle, charming. I plodded, but got there in the hour, that's about as long as I'm cheeky enough to squeeze in to my working day. Good news is that the cough is on its way out, I think I hacked so much after the Saturday run that I must have dislodged something? Probably along with a few dozen brain cells - it must have sounded bad 'though as my youngest pressed the use of his inhaler on me! I hope your chest is on the mend MD? Stepping back to nought is no bad thing once in a while.

Thank you all for your encouragement - it really does make a difference, how I wish I was going to Almeria with you all. I'll be doing 14 from my schedule at the weekend, so I'll be with you in spirit, plus I break my January alchohol fast at the weekend, so I will raise a toast to you all too. I really hope the calf holds out El G, get it strapped.

Best news of all Mr SW is gainfully empoyed again, no mean feat at his age in the current climate for architects, so here's hoping for a better year.
Phew this is hard work !
27-01-2010, 05:21 PM,
(27-01-2010, 04:35 PM)stillwaddler Wrote: oohh I'd love the gorilla suit, did a 6 miler at lunchtime today and it was absolutely freezing, really cold wind with a nasty gash of sleety drizzle, charming. I plodded, but got there in the hour, that's about as long as I'm cheeky enough to squeeze in to my working day. Good news is that the cough is on its way out, I think I hacked so much after the Saturday run that I must have dislodged something? Probably along with a few dozen brain cells - it must have sounded bad 'though as my youngest pressed the use of his inhaler on me! I hope your chest is on the mend MD? Stepping back to nought is no bad thing once in a while.

Thank you all for your encouragement - it really does make a difference, how I wish I was going to Almeria with you all. I'll be doing 14 from my schedule at the weekend, so I'll be with you in spirit, plus I break my January alchohol fast at the weekend, so I will raise a toast to you all too. I really hope the calf holds out El G, get it strapped.

Best news of all Mr SW is gainfully empoyed again, no mean feat at his age in the current climate for architects, so here's hoping for a better year.

Fab news about Mr SW. Now that is worth raising a glass to on Sunday. There'll be a few of us falling off the wagon at the weekend by the sounds of things.
El Gordo

28-01-2010, 02:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 28-01-2010, 02:54 PM by Sweder.)
Hear hear SW. Number one son (at college but seeking evening/ weekend work) has struck out so far this month.
We'll raise a glass of our own to you both around this time on Sunday Big Grin

28-01-2010, 10:09 PM,
(27-01-2010, 04:35 PM)stillwaddler Wrote: I hope your chest is on the mend MD? Stepping back to nought is no bad thing once in a while.

Much better thanks SW. Taking it easy was the right thing to do at this (or probably any) stage. I got out for a short fartlek last night, hardly any symptoms left today. I'm being a bit less ambitious in my long runs than you (sticking strictly to Hal's Beginner) so I have 12 to look forward to this weekend.

Congrats to Mr SW! Enjoy your long plod.
29-01-2010, 03:47 PM,
Cheers guys, things feel positively light hearted here after the last 7 months of gloom.

Fartlek - just typing it makes me giggle, some of us just never grew up.

Can't wait to toast you all in Almeria, hope Murray puts on a good shown on Sunday too.
Phew this is hard work !
01-02-2010, 01:59 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-02-2010, 02:00 PM by stillwaddler.)
Shame about Murray...but Federer always seems such a nice guy I can't begrudge him his victory.

14 miles done Saturday afternoon after a morning spent sclepping around Dunham Massey Nat Trust doing the monthly bird species count, so a few more miles under foot too.

The run was OK, didn't feel very comfortable round about 3.5 miles, but stuck with it with a bref walk to slurp a gel and get a glug of Gatorade and eventually found the groove by mile 10. Was absolutely freezing cold and dark by the time I finished, but the mileage has been covered - makes 99.6 miles for the month, wonder what happend to the other .4 ???
Phew this is hard work !
01-02-2010, 06:11 PM,
Ah, a twitcher. Rather late in life, I'm trying to learn all the things I should have learnt when I was a kid -- but London kids don't think of birds very much, except when trying to catapult pebbles at them.

14 miles -- excellent. There's definitely a collective smug grin on the community right now. Let's hope Nigel and I can throw off our niggles and join you all soon.
El Gordo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  January stillwaddler 10 6,471 29-01-2009, 02:01 PM
Last Post: stillwaddler
  January blues stillwaddler 2 2,307 25-01-2007, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Bierzo Baggie