Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
January
27-01-2010, 09:15 AM,
January
Managed a brace of races this weekend.

Sat 23rd Jan - The Hebden
-------------------------

Organised by the LDWA these races have, over the years, been hijacked by runners who now make up the majority of starters. And this one is a particularly well organised affair with great offerings of food and drink both at the start/finish and at checkpoints along the way. There's a long (22 mile) and short (14 mile) route on offer; myself and Mrs G both opted for the short. 14+ miles seems plenty at the moment. Passing through Mytholmroyd, Pecket Well, Midgehole, Slack Top, Blackshaw Head and Hebden Bridge this race is a real roller-coaster that rises and falls amongst a collection of the most beautiful valleys in the South Pennines. The running is mainly on paths, fields, tracks and old packhorse trails. Dripping sandwiches at Check Point 3 were avoided with regret but pork pie and peas with mulled wine and apple crumble with custard at the finish were not. Mrs G got round in a very respectable 3:33 on what is a tough, but rewarding, course. I also had a good day coming home first in 2:07. After such a long period of ice and snow we were blessed with good conditions underfoot and some much needed blue skies. A memorable day.

Sun 24th Jan - Stanbury Splash
------------------------------
I had second thoughts about doing this race about 10 seconds into it. But it's abit late by then, isn't it? I'm just glad it's over. Even 3 days later. With a fresh mind and body this race has alot going for it with some really 'interesting' secions like streams and near vertical descents. But on the day it was more about getting through it without major injury. At least I know what back-to-back fell races feel like now. From a running point-of-view probably not much to be gained though. Shame they had to fall on the same weekend.

Junior GMan shows his form

GMan should have been resting

Ian Holmes wins this race for the 15th consecutive time
27-01-2010, 10:27 AM,
RE: January
You came first? Shocked You won the race?

Wow, brilliant -- well done. This must be a first (pun intended) for this small community. I'm so chuffed for you mate. You must be our biggest star at the moment.

Those pictures are tremendous, as always. Junior Gman looks quite a character. Well done to his mum too. Great to see a family with a shared interest.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
27-01-2010, 11:56 AM, (This post was last modified: 27-01-2010, 11:57 AM by marathondan.)
(27-01-2010, 09:15 AM)glaconman Wrote: I also had a good day coming home first in 2:07.

[splutter!]

Wow, that must have been quite an experience. Well done!

Big ups too to Mrs G - 3.33 is a helluva long time to be on your feet - and of course GM jnr. I can imagine that the second race wasn't an ideal recovery run for you.
28-01-2010, 03:33 PM,
Cheers guys. Am most pleased that Mrs G is becoming more resilient and able to run more. I think it will be good for the boy to grow up amongst muddy trainers and maps etc

Just took delivery of my Vibrams the other morning; but sent them back for a smaller size. Quite excited about getting out in them now.

Hope you manage to get around at the weekend El G in relative comfort. I think your pysio appointments are the way-to-go. Get to the bottom of it and understand good practice for future running. Have a great weekend regardless though; there's still along way to go don't forget Smile
28-01-2010, 08:17 PM,
Cheers old boy. I'm certain to have a good weekend and likely, I reckon, to get round the half. Will take it easy.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
28-01-2010, 08:53 PM,
Great effort G'man - that really is an amazing feat, well done!!
Run. Just run.
01-02-2010, 10:12 AM,
EG mentioned over a beer or two last night - I managed to miss this terrific news.
Inspirational stuff GM, a real feather in your fells titfer. And heart congrats to Mrs GM too for completing what sounds like a pretty challenging course.

Glad to see another member of this venerable society giving the Vibrams a go. I'm convinced this is the right path for me, and will resume my experiments ASAP. Happened to bring my FiveFingers to Almeria; giving serious though to giving them a spin this afternoon.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  January 2013 glaconman 26 12,681 30-04-2013, 09:37 PM
Last Post: glaconman