Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
March
23-03-2010, 05:55 PM,
RE: March
I think that I might be able to spot you on the start line too unless there are a band of gorillas!!

I won't be so easy to spot though but will be wearing a purple Martlets charity vest and will hopefully have an Arena 80 hand flag to wave.

Julie Smile
Almeria Half Marathon 2017
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
23-03-2010, 09:35 PM,
We might have to meet up for an RC team photo beforehand.

SW, I'm aiming for 5 hours in the suit - is that around your ballpark? Or are you already definitely planning a run / walk?

The mask has an open mouth; I can just about get a gel in there, and it's OK for drinking, I just need to find the right kind of bottle (maybe one with a short straw) - I'll refill it at the water stops. The rest of the suit is pretty crappy frankly (cheap on eBay) but the mask has turned out to be perfect.
24-03-2010, 11:08 AM,
An alternative to gels - it may well be far too late to change of course - is the powdered carb stuff that Moyleman used for Cape Town. Mixed with water & carried in a bottle it would be easier and a good deal less messy than gels; if it's warm having a face-mask glued to your fizzog would be intolerable.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

24-03-2010, 10:34 PM,
You should be limited to tropical fruit.
24-03-2010, 10:55 PM,
(24-03-2010, 10:34 PM)glaconman Wrote: You should be limited to tropical fruit.

What about Lilt?

24-03-2010, 11:05 PM,
Checked my gel stash earlier and it's not fully stocked. But I've recently got back into the jelly baby habit. The little fellas aren't tried and tested enough to see me through 26 miles, but I think I might alternate handfuls of the sugary infants with gels on the day.

I agree, spilling gel inside the mask would be pretty damn horrible.

Just back from a great 10 mile tempo run in light rain. Despite the precipitation, I braved shorts for the first time this year. Lovely conditions. And I saw a badger! In the middle of town! Just waddled out onto the pavement like a fat furry cat, allowed me to approach within a couple of yards, and even walked towards me at one point.
25-03-2010, 11:39 AM, (This post was last modified: 25-03-2010, 12:34 PM by Sweder.)
RSPCA 'alarmed at potential Gorilla/ Badger urban interface.'

I've never seen a live badger in the 'wild'. Usually cruelly crushed carcasses bloated on the roadside.
Which reminds me; I wonder how SP's getting on? Big Grin

29-03-2010, 09:49 AM,
3 weeks to go (how did that happen?)

Polished off the 20 miler last night in light / steady rain. There were tweaks and twinges all over - hammies, hips, ankles, lower back - but I finished in good shape and with still more in the tank. A shade over 20 miles, in bang on 4 hours marathon pace.

The usual audio drill applied: switching to uplifting tunes for the last hour or so, when I transitioned from the "controlled" phase to the "hanging on" phase. But after three hours slog, I was still fighting the urge (and occasionally giving in to it, in truth) to play air guitar and punch the air, such is the power of this bizarre, tribal phenomenon that we call music.

Current must-listen podcast is Marc Maran's WTF. Swinging erratically between trawling the underbelly of US popular culture, deconstructing life's biggest issues, and recounting tales from the comedy circuit, he mixes monologue with interviews from his LA garage. He might just be the ultimate surrogate late-night drinking buddy. I recommend a download - try episode 55 or 56. Parental advisory.

But back to the running. I always find it strange when footballers are said to have "declared themselves fit" for such and such a game. Um, shouldn't we check with the physio? But having bagged last night's run, I hereby declare myself fit for a conventional sub-4 marathon.

Trouble is, I'm actually planning to run a sub-5 marathon in a gorilla suit. I still have a slight concern that running at 25% slower pace will throw out my gait, causing untold agonies, and that staying on my feet for an hour longer than usual will destroy my energy levels. But that's all part of the challenge, eh?

Taper here I come...Big Grin
29-03-2010, 01:26 PM,
Great stuff MD,if you were that comfortable on the 20 + maybe you shouldn't restrict your natural cadence on the day but just run how you feel, as long as you are getting enough oxygen inside the suit and enough liquid to counteract the heat it might just be OK? Enjoy the taper, oooh carb loading, my favourite pastime:-)
Phew this is hard work !
29-03-2010, 01:36 PM,
Well played Dan, you must be pretty pleased with how things have progressed. And SW makes a good point. Perhaps you can run more instinctively on the day.

Enjoy the extra grooming time and don't forget to vocalise to us before and after the big day.
29-03-2010, 01:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 29-03-2010, 01:54 PM by Sweder.)
You sound ready to me mate; great stuff Wink

Enjoy the taper & carb-loading. As SW says one of the delicious joys of marathon prep. We'll have to figure out best vantage points for spectators (preferably several points located fairly near pubs). As for pace a lot depends on what happens on the day; weather, which side of the bed you get/ fall out of ... Anyway, I'm envious. The next couple of weeks are likely to feature short, powerful runs when you'll feel you can run up Ben Nevis before breakfast. What a great feeling that is.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  March 2015 marathondan 55 42,973 02-04-2015, 07:35 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  March 2012 marathondan 22 27,771 29-03-2012, 07:23 AM
Last Post: marathondan
  March 2011 marathondan 21 24,855 31-03-2011, 01:58 PM
Last Post: ladyrunner
  March is a little late starting... marathondan 12 8,349 05-04-2006, 05:57 AM
Last Post: marathondan