Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
February 2012
18-02-2012, 08:12 PM,
RE: February 2012
Showing yer age there, mate. Smile
20-02-2012, 11:30 AM,
Sunday - in common with Sweder, I had a spot of mid-term blues. A 13 mile step-back around the field was scheduled. I'd had a relaxing week at home with the family for half-term, so maybe a little of the usual pressure was missing. Plus of course it was only 13 miles, and I usually fail to treat step-backs with the respect that they deserve.

A cold night was closing in, temperature below zero and falling, stars super-bright, but the scheduled sliver of a moon not yet risen. As a nocturnal runner, there are a few nights per winter when the standard lycra gloves won't cut it, and this was one. Fortunately I packed ski gloves in my rucksack, and they came out with about three laps to go. It was an OK run I suppose, but everything felt heavy and laboured, despite the relatively firm going underfoot. The cold was seeping into my bones, and I was glad when it was over.

I was home in a few minutes over the two hours; another disappointing run well outside 4 hour race pace. Still, everyone says the long runs are about time on feet, not pace - for the first time I'll have to trust that advice. The shorter runs certainly seem to be doing me some good.

17 miles on road next week - that'll sort the intracellular proteins from the interstitial spaces.
20-02-2012, 02:54 PM,
Phew, so good to know this is a lunar issue and nothing to do with old age or decrepitude Wink

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

20-02-2012, 04:32 PM,
Your 'p*ssing in the wind' thoughts are an interesting aside Dan.

It reminds me of 'The Doubt' that Eddie Merx talked about. I've always interpreted this as not only being a physical doubt about 'can I do this' but also a more philosophical doubt about 'why am I doing this'.

I guess the answer to this is that runnng is an absorbing sport. I always describe it as fascinating and complex; but it can demand a high level of absorbtion. And this for me is far more important than any glib goals centered around 'happiness' that we may have.

I would also commend the mental aspect of running. Mark E Smith said something along the lines of: the only place we live is in our heads. And if you're at the helm of a large family and a professional career then you need to keep this mental space organised and healthy.

I'd also say running allows one of the few opportunties to achieve measurable success in life. In our many roles, as husbands, friends, fathers, employees or whatever it's sometimes difficult to feel this. These roles stretch out into the distance, often with few waymarkers or visible dashboards.

But with running there is a start-line and a finish-line. And if I give my all in-between then I've succeeded. These are the simple criteria. And that feeling can be a real tonic as we meander through space and time.
20-02-2012, 06:25 PM,
Well, if you stop to think about it, I suppose. I never really gave it that much thought.

I remember a senior warder at a juvenile prison when asked why he thought kids kept re-offending despite the hellish conditions of gaol simply said that everyone - kids included - just kept on doing whatever it is they're good at, whether it be stealing cars or burning down churches. Or in our case, running.

Of course, the young Eddie Merckx was smart - he used a getaway bike.

Run. Just run.
20-02-2012, 07:59 PM,
(20-02-2012, 02:54 PM)Sweder Wrote: Phew, so good to know this is a lunar issue and nothing to do with old age or decrepitude Wink

Well, it was a new moon this weekend, or near enough. So we run best when there's a full moon? Stands to reason, I suppose.

The mixed / bad news is that 15th April will be a half moon (waning), 22nd April will be bugger all*.

* Technical term.
20-02-2012, 10:39 PM,
Another thought. Whenever I've run at night (early in the morning or in the evening) it often feels like I'm running faster but I always run slower. No idea why this should be but it's always been the case.

You'll also run faster surrounded by other people than when training by yourself ....so I imagine you're closer to your target than you think..

And all these moon references are sort of, intriguing me....
21-02-2012, 10:05 AM,
(20-02-2012, 06:25 PM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote: Well, if you stop to think about it, I suppose. I never really gave it that much thought.

I clearly think about this far, far too much. I'll get me coat.

I also saw Marillion live in the early 80's. Twice I think. I'll get me denim jacket.
21-02-2012, 10:28 AM,
(21-02-2012, 10:05 AM)glaconman Wrote:
(20-02-2012, 06:25 PM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote: Well, if you stop to think about it, I suppose. I never really gave it that much thought.
I clearly think about this far, far too much. I'll get me coat.

Not at all - that's why you make such great films. Smile
Run. Just run.
21-02-2012, 03:50 PM,
(20-02-2012, 04:32 PM)glaconman Wrote: I'd also say running allows one of the few opportunties to achieve measurable success in life. In our many roles, as husbands, friends, fathers, employees or whatever it's sometimes difficult to feel this. These roles stretch out into the distance, often with few waymarkers or visible dashboards.

I somehow managed to miss this. It happens when you reply on failing eyesight and a tiny smartphone screen to catch up with RC posts. I completely agree - so much of life is immeasurable. Running affords us the luxury of measurement, of the definitive comparison of one run against another.

You're right about the brain space too. Mine gets terribly cluttered almost daily. A plod, however well executed or otherwise, allows troublesome subjects to bob to the surface of my churning consciousness, picked out in the spotlight of my mind's eye. By the end of a run I've usually decided something, made a decision previously ducked or realised there's something I can do about some apparently unsurmountable challenge.

For that reason alone I'll still be out there shuffling, wide eyed, drool trailing on the breeze, long after my legs refuse to race.

21-02-2012, 05:40 PM, (This post was last modified: 21-02-2012, 05:46 PM by marathondan.)
My mental meanderings of mere micturation in the mistral made many members muse and mull. My, my.

I'm not sure I agree with the "running allows one of the few opportunties to achieve measurable success in life" sentiment. Well OK, at one level it's patently true. But as a person of no particular athletic ability, achieving "success" in a sport is a fairly trivial goal for me. Whether I crack a particular time for the marathon will have no relevance when I finally shuffle into the finish chute of life. What is relevant for me is that I set myself a difficult challenge and see if I can achieve it, and hopefully learn something along the way. This of course may not be the way others see it, perhaps those with more of a competitive streak than me.

I completely agree about the time and space to think though. Not that I very often think about much other than running when I'm running.

And another hugely valuable aspect of running is the friends I've met along the way. Many of whom are reading this.

@BB - strangely, I find running in the light harder work than running at night. But I think it's harder because I run faster (notwithstanding any temperature effects). And I think I run faster because I'm somehow more self-aware - less cloaked in darkness. It's a strange one.

@GM - jealous of your Marillion viewing(s). I came to them too late to see them in their classic lineup. Both halves of that lineup have gone on to do much more apart than together, but for me the later incarnations don't come close.
22-02-2012, 10:10 AM,
Well, I did say "if I give my all in-between then I've succeeded" which points in the opposite direction of results and times.

But anyway, what we can agree on is that it's a mighty fine and intriguing sport which pretends to be simple, but isn't.

First track session for 6 months last night. x3 1600s ran with cautious effort. The track was buzzing with runners. Lots of ages, abilities, characters and clubs. And I feel fantastic this morning.

I seem to have spent a large part of my adult life denying that I liked certain music when I was younger. This appears to have been a vain misjudgment in many cases. But I don't suppose I'm the first to have buried their musical tastes only to dig them up again in later life. Abit like running really. Big Grin
22-02-2012, 01:37 PM, (This post was last modified: 22-02-2012, 01:37 PM by marathondan.)
(22-02-2012, 10:10 AM)glaconman Wrote: Well, I did say "if I give my all in-between then I've succeeded" which points in the opposite direction of results and times.

OK, maybe I read what I thought you wrote rather than what you really wrote... Blush
23-02-2012, 02:27 PM, (This post was last modified: 23-02-2012, 02:29 PM by Sweder.)
(22-02-2012, 01:37 PM)marathondan Wrote:
(22-02-2012, 10:10 AM)glaconman Wrote: Well, I did say "if I give my all in-between then I've succeeded" which points in the opposite direction of results and times.

OK, maybe I read what I thought you wrote rather than what you really wrote... Blush

Oh dear God, if THAT counts then I've a few hundred 'apology' cards to send out ... Big Grin

24-02-2012, 11:34 AM,
Strewth, just got an email from Dave Bedford telling me it's 5 weeks till taper time. March is the month that counts.
24-02-2012, 11:44 AM,
Deep breath Dan.

Motto for March: Make every day count.

Once more unto the breach .....
24-02-2012, 11:01 PM,
(24-02-2012, 11:44 AM)glaconman Wrote: Deep breath Dan.

Motto for March: Make every day count.

Yep - even the rest days. Smile

Looking forward to getting into those marathon breeches again.
29-02-2012, 10:31 PM,
A wee leap-day update before the month closes.

Week 10 - 8 to go - the usual trio of efforts.

The canalside interval session went fine; I cut the recovery period to 1:20 against a sprint of 1:50, gradually increasing the workload week by week. Not sure I can work it much harder than that.

Friday morning saw 8 miles tempo pace round the field - the going had returned to muddy, and while I was able to knock out the first lap at 7:26 pace, I finished up a good minute slower. Not to worry - I blame it on the... conditions.

The long one was delayed 24 hours until Monday night - 17 miles on road. The contrast with two weeks ago was significant - I felt comfortable from the off and was certainly very relaxed up until around 12 miles. It got harder after that, but it felt like there was plenty in the tank at the end, and there were no distinct pains in any particular joints. The pace was still slow - 4:09 marathon pace - but for the long runs I just have to keep comfortable, and the pace is what it is. My time target is going to be a huge challenge on the day, but we'll just have to see what the day brings.

I'm really struggling to keep the boredom away now, as I approach three hours of plodding round suburban streets, and I devoured not only the Marathontalk podcast but Material World and More or Less as well, before switching to the 80s party mix to bring a smile to my face for the last couple of miles. My "endurance" playlist has proved a little too worthy / serious to really keep me going - trash is what I need. Came down the road to Livin' on a Prayer and then devoured two bowls of cereal. A couple of handfuls of raisins wasn't enough to sustain me - in-race nutrition is the next topic to address. Step-backs aside, only three long ones left. I think they will do me a power of good.

Week 11 kicked off today with the intervals distance increasing to 5 miles. I probably reduced the effort level a bit to compensate, but that will return over the coming weeks.

February total: 112 miles
Year to date: 198 miles
01-03-2012, 06:23 AM,
I know what you mean Dan - these long runs are getting monotonous, aren't they?

Still, you seem to be in fine fettle, so stick with it. Only 8 weeks to go!

Have you set a time target yet for the race?
Run. Just run.
01-03-2012, 12:39 PM,
(01-03-2012, 06:23 AM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote: Have you set a time target yet for the race?

From day 1 it's been 3:45 - five and a half minutes faster than my PB set in my first marathon (no I didn't need to look it up), way back in 2005. Will the years have slowed me down, or will that accumulated mental strength speed me up? I've no idea. Based on current long runs, it's not looking too good. But I'm looking forward to the challenge, particularly that last hour of pure hell. Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  February 2015 marathondan 8 5,664 25-02-2015, 08:16 PM
Last Post: marathondan
  Off season 2012 marathondan 28 26,727 19-12-2012, 03:26 PM
  April 2012 marathondan 55 50,627 06-05-2012, 09:47 PM
Last Post: Bierzo Baggie
  March 2012 marathondan 22 27,769 29-03-2012, 07:23 AM
  January 2012 marathondan 43 44,344 31-01-2012, 06:24 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man