Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
July
17-07-2008, 11:54 AM,
July
Time The Avenger - one of my favorite Pretenders tracks, and most apt this morning.
Shuffled off for yet another weary plod to be greeted by a most reluctant, rusty right knee. This nodule of bone and gristle has been complaining like a whinging Scotsman for a while now. The moans have until now fallen on deaf ears, but finally this morning, like in Horton Hears A Who the message broke through to my Jurassic brain.

The reality is I have to stop running.
There, I said it out loud. Not for good (certainly not for good) but at least until I drag myself off to the Knee Whisperer and get a formal verdict. I did complete an ugly, painful five miler this morning but if I keep this up I could do some real damage that I won't limp away from. I'm hoping that by stating all this 'in public' I'm forcing myself down the right road; if I don't I'm sure to get plenty of stick from the good people here.

Speaking of verdicts I'm waiting with baited breath for the outcome of todays' Dwayne Chambers hearing.
I'm desperately hoping for a definitive 'non' but suspect the shadow of litigation will loom large over proceedings and the cheating scumbag may get his trip to China. I don't care that he's 'served time' for his 'crimes', or that he 'volunteered' information to help the dope-catchers; this guy, allegedly one of our most naturally gifted sprinters, sought to gain unfair advantage by knowingly using banned substances to the exclusion of other 'honest' athletes. So Britain might miss out on some medals. So what? Tarnished gold is no better than excrement and anyone connected with such ill-gotten gains should be treated as such and flushed out of the sport. Chambers defacated on his fellow athletes from on high, knowingly cheating them out of places in major championships. Michael Johnson, a man for whom I have the utmost respect, says Chambers would be lucky to get a medal in Beijing with a jetpack strapped to his back; I couldn't care less. If he goes thanks to a legal loophole I shall not watch the Olympics. Yes, it's cutting off my nose to spite my face, for I truly love this pantheon of sporting excellence. But for me it's a cut and dried issue; not in my name.

The sooner the IAAF and the IOC get on board the better.
So long as the message is blurred by political fudge and mind-boggling litigeous slalom up-and-coming atheletes struggling to make the grade will be tempted to reach that little bit too far. Life bans won't stop it completely - there are always fools who think they'll get away with it - but the rules will be clear; cheat and you're gone. The 'restraint of trade' argument doesn't stand up for me; you forfit the right to trade if you do so illegally. Chambers has apparently shown remorse and helped the authorities - all well and good once you've been nicked. Would he have 'fessed up otherwise? Of course not; he'd be bouncing his grandkids on his knee telling them how he beat the world.

On a happier note I unearthed a real treasure this week.
Grannys Intentions were a staggeringly good blues/ rock combo featuring none other than master bluesman Garry Moore (he of Parisian wallkways and Thin Lizzy fame) plying their trade in the late '60's and early '70's. With classic tracks such as Hilda The Builder and Sandy's On The Phone Again this band out of Limmerick graced no greater venue than Lewes Town Hall on 19th January 1968 when they supported a then little-known acid-freak outfit from south London. I was delighted to discover a reproduction of the original concert poster in a recent edition of Lewes News - I've posted a copy below.

Note the admission price - 12/6 - and what must have come as a great shock to the Lewes establishment, a bar extension 'to 11:45'; whatever next! The poster is somewhat tainted as the owner, a local chap by the name of Bill Hendley, got the headliners to sign his copy on the night. Shame, but ultimately I feel it doesn't detract from the authenticity of the poster.

Attached Files
.jpg   Lewes gig poster.jpg (Size: 71.32 KB / Downloads: 45)

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

17-07-2008, 01:15 PM,
July
Tough call on the knee Sweder. I know you know but for the sake of your future err...career you're gonna have to rest up. You're no spring chicken and all that. Perhaps we'll pick this up tomorrow night over a half.

Speaking of drugs tests, I've entered some tennis tournaments over the summer. The following is taken from one entry form...

15. Any player may be required to submit to a doping control test, which may be carried out at any given time with no notice. Failure to submit to the test will be treated as if a positive result has been obtained. Eek

Wonder if Guinness shows up?

Funnily enough I was chatting to a guy from my tennis club last week about Garry Moore. Apparently Moore has recently played a concert in that well known hotbed of blues music - Horam.
17-07-2008, 07:35 PM,
July
Tough luck Sweder. But if you take care of your knee now, before you do any more damage, you'll likely be back running in no time. Otherwise who knows! Its tough to think about not running, never mind to actually stop running. So now that you've said it out loud, you have to follow through.

On another note, I've re-read your Paris marathon report. Some friends are thinking of doing it next year (unless I can talk them into London instead) and I thought they would enjoy reading it. What a fabulous piece of writing! I just have to say thank you.

Suzie
17-07-2008, 10:02 PM,
July
Thanks Suzie. I'm pleased someone has enough time to wade through that monstrous odyssey, althouygh compared to the saga of the Two Oceans it is but a mere snackette Big Grin

The knee's getting rested, honest injun.
Just as soon as I've whupped Captain Tom on the Golf Course tomorrow and survived a night out with him and The Plodder . . . Eek

18-07-2008, 08:22 AM,
July
Sweder Wrote:Just as soon as I've whupped Captain Tom on the Golf Course tomorrow and survived a night out with him and The Plodder . . . Eek
Your elbow may suffer the same fate as your knee. Although you can always hold your pint in the other hand.
Re the knee, well done on a sensible decision. Big-picture wise, I guess all runners suffer injuries at some point. Rest it, get it sorted, and find a low-impact, lard-busting / endorphin-scoring alternative to tide you over. Maybe harder will be filling the spiritual void. But I'm guessing the dogs won't walk themselves, so perhaps you'll still have some walks on the downs to compose your customary erudite proclamations. Mend quickly mate.

Great Floyd flier BTW. (Sorry to actually use the F-word.) Appears a little tame by modern standards ("1000 Watt Freak-Out!" Pardon?), although I suspect that today it's only the talk that is tougher (except that these days the bar extension would be till 11.45 am.).

Many people may hate them, but I really like the club fliers that are cable-tied to every traffic light these days. I may not understand a single word on them, but they're a cultural icon.
18-07-2008, 12:51 PM,
July
Good grief! We're dropping like you-know-what...

(do get better soon Sweder!)

Attached Files
.jpg   deadfly.jpg (Size: 47.88 KB / Downloads: 39)
Run. Just run.
22-07-2008, 01:39 AM,
July
News from the Great Hasher Niguel, and more to the point some photos from the 19th Annual Oil Hash. See previous report. Currently soaking up the sun (and humidity) in Orlando. A full day (09:00 - 21:00) in Seaworld was enjoyable, enlightening and at times bewildering. If this nation increases its aggregate girth exponentially in line with the last decade, to quote Brody aboard the Orca They're gonna need a bigger boat.
Or at least much wider seats.

Here's the pictures; cue Gladiator credits music for the first couple . . .
[SIZE="1"]There was one of the big fella taking one on the Down-Down but I felt that was crossing the rubicon so far as publishing photos of Hash rituals goes.[/SIZE]

Attached Files
.jpg   Fields of Gold 1.jpg (Size: 32.84 KB / Downloads: 35)
.jpg   Fields of Gold 2.jpg (Size: 23.27 KB / Downloads: 35)
.jpg   Into the Light.jpg (Size: 47.72 KB / Downloads: 33)
.jpg   Oak ridge.jpg (Size: 85.33 KB / Downloads: 33)

23-07-2008, 10:42 AM,
July
Glad you enjoyed the Hash Run, Sweder, and thanks very much for your report.

Sorry to hear about the knee, but it's good to come clean in sessions like these.

My name is Sweder, and I haven't had a run for three days ...

I can hear it now, but how long will it last before the men in white coats arrive? And that, young man, is the three shredded wheat question.
23-07-2008, 07:32 PM,
July
Stunning photos m8, quite envious.

Sorry to hear about your latest malaise. It's a tough call but a wise decision to rest.
I've been putting off some back issues, I've had for a while. So i'll think i'll follow suit and get them seriously looked at.

Take care fella and hope to see you soon.
Moyleman

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  July 2017 Sweder 18 4,838 07-08-2017, 08:46 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  July 2014 Sweder 29 16,697 03-08-2014, 11:28 AM
  July 2013 Sweder 10 6,919 02-08-2013, 11:39 AM
  July 2012 Sweder 15 10,882 05-08-2012, 09:34 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  July 2011 Sweder 2 3,671 21-07-2011, 10:32 PM