Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beachy Head Marathon
23-10-2008, 12:31 AM,
Beachy Head Marathon
Sweder Wrote:Sausage rolls? Can't think of anything that would turn me over faster than greasy pastry but I guess it works Confused

We'll see!!Big Grin

Given up on lifts, LR.
Am staying in Eastbourne Friday.
Guess it makes sense?
Gonna need to pack every kind of gear from vest to welly boots!Smile

Have a good weekend everyone!!
23-10-2008, 09:08 AM,
Beachy Head Marathon
Good luck AH, LR and all Beachy Headers.
Forecast looks 'interesting', though the hills are in terrific nick just at the moment; springy yet firm enough to get good traction. The wind might be a factor though it's likely to be out of the west, presumably best for that last monstrous effort across the Sisters.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

23-10-2008, 10:28 AM,
Beachy Head Marathon
Avenging Hillman Wrote:Given up on lifts, LR.
Am staying in Eastbourne Friday.
Guess it makes sense?
Gonna need to pack every kind of gear from vest to welly boots!Smile

AH - I've thought of someone that is running Saturday and lives in Hove. He has taken Moyleman's number so if you want me to try and get you a lift let me know. See you Saturday morningEek.

Just checked weather forecast. Two dry days for Thurs and Fri which is good. Saturday be have a cloud, rain and sunshineEek and 23 mph wind from West which will be really good for the last 6 milesSmileSmile.

Thanks for all the good luck wishes.
Julie
Almeria Half Marathon 2017
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
23-10-2008, 12:08 PM,
Beachy Head Marathon
Yes, thanks Sweder for the wishes.
And LR, I'm committed to staying Eastbourne now, but thanks for the thought.

There seem to be a lot of people trading in their numbers. I wonder, is there something we don't know?Big Grin

Anyway, looking forward to that Westerly wind!Smile

All the best.
25-10-2008, 09:37 PM,
Beachy Head Marathon
How'd it go y'all?
Looked like a pretty decent day for it after all. Tales from the Sisters please . . .

26-10-2008, 12:22 AM,
Beachy Head Marathon
Hi Sweder,
Yes, certainly an excellent day for it!
Bit slippery in the woods in a couple of places but otherwise the ground fine.

Plenty of support from people in villages and at drinks stations which was really encouraging with lots of cheering, smiling and clapping.
Even people turning out of pubs (it seemed) to cheer on!

And... the wind along the Seven Sisters was just perfect- so good to be carried up those little blighter hillocksSmile and even the last slog-section up by Beachy Head itself didn't seem too arduous.

Coming over the brow of the hill down into Eastbourne was fandabbydozey with that tailwind.

The pre-race pasta slap-up, snacks during the night (since couldn't sleep and got less than 1 hour), Jaffa cake / gel / sporty-drink overdose, worked a treat for me, feeling good to the end and knocked 3 mins of last year's time, leaving me in a post-race euphoria.
All good fun!

And LR?
How was it?
Wanted to hook up at end but had to dash as friend waiting on double yellowsSad.
Apols for not being there to support teammates.
26-10-2008, 11:37 AM,
Beachy Head Marathon
Hi Sweder and AH

Yes it was a magnificant day for a runSmile. I'd got a touch of the sniffles so wasn't feeling on top form.

Didn't see you AH on the start line, but as soon as the gun went I saw you blast off up the hillBig Grin.

I hung back for about 18 miles, in preparation to try and cruise the last 6 miles but I didn't seem to have much leftConfused. Ended up walking up the last 6 sisters and I even walked up parts of the Beachy Head climb!! Finished in 4:05 which is only one minute slower than 2003.

Joe Hogan (from the Tuesday track group) over took me at about 24 miles. He finished in 4:01 or 2 - first marathon completed so well done JoeSmile.

Got a text from Daryl (Hootsyboy) he ran 5:07 and said that it was the hardest thing that he had ever had to do and suffered with terrible cramp in both his quads but that's also his first marathon completed and it can only get easier for Hastings.

AH - you were reported to be flying up Beachy Head and looking like you had a lot left so what time did you run??

Julie
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
26-10-2008, 01:29 PM,
Beachy Head Marathon
Well done LR!
Well, you did a good time even if you didn't have much of a good timeBig Grin!
Hanging back seems to work the best, doesn't it?
Shame about feeling sniffly, but with that result you must be pleased!!

The first Lady came past me on the steps at WestDean, to the sound of the piper, (at which point she was third Lady!) and I saw her gradually disappear into the distance along the Seven Sisters.

I tried a bit of 'economical' shuffling, on the Alfriston, Bo Peep, Littlington stretch which helped keep something left for the final hilly section. Gonna have to do more of that as seems a great technique for saving energy. Did 3:48, so happy with thatSmile.

Provisional results on the unofficial site:-
http://www.robin-web.co.uk/beachyhead/re...202008.htm
26-10-2008, 02:03 PM,
Beachy Head Marathon
Thanks AH for the results link. You must be very please too after only 1 hour of sleep.

I was more pleased with my JSJ time than BH. It's strange but I have never broken 3hrs for JSJ and 4 hrs for BH in the same year. It's always been one or the other for 5 years!!

I remember seeing that winning lady come past me after a couple of miles. Stuart Mills must be a very good runner to win the race 5 times. He is down as University of Brighton.

My legs are stiff and sore today but I have a massage booked tomorrow morning so hopefully that will get me recovered to start my training this week for the Brighton 10K.

JulieSmile
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
26-10-2008, 02:09 PM,
Beachy Head Marathon
Good job you didn't do it today!!!
was nightmare weather for the us Sunday Runners.
I expect you were lying there (in your respective bed's) all smug
after your FAB run yesterday.
Very well done, hope you had NRG left to down a few pints????
GB.Smile
26-10-2008, 02:19 PM,
Beachy Head Marathon
Yes gillybean I looked out of the window this morning and was horrified by the weatherEek!!! It did cross my mind that nobody would turn up for the Sunday run - so which brave hardy runners did turn up??

Celebrated my achievement last night with some good thai food and beer in bedSmile.
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
26-10-2008, 02:59 PM,
Beachy Head Marathon
Beer drinking lying down, that is a very good idea!!!
Nice soft landing after one too many!!!

Today's hardy runners were mostly female, no shock there.
Me, x2 Fiona's,Bab's,Janet, Simon, and a new face(male)
Sam came on his trusty steed.:p
26-10-2008, 03:31 PM,
Beachy Head Marathon
[SIZE="1"]mumble mumble[/SIZE] very wet n windy [SIZE="1"]grumble mumble[/SIZE] fry-up [SIZE="1"]grizzle[/SIZE] local plod . . .

Well done AH and LR - excellent effort. Agree with GB, no day for a big 'un today - full-on foulness across the region. Look forward to some pictures as and when. Must take that monster on some day . . .

LR it's no surprise you've not managed a double-sub (JSJ and BH) in the same year. That's two incredibly tough races very close together. You've done well to run both of them in impressive style.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  London marathon report steve scott 5 4,849 15-05-2009, 04:45 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  London Marathon 2009 Brighton and Hove AC Race Report jason knight 2 3,483 04-05-2009, 03:44 PM
Last Post: jason knight
  New York Marathon 1/11/09 Simon Ho 0 1,604 07-02-2009, 07:09 PM
Last Post: Simon Ho
  Hastings Marathon (100th Anniversary) ladyrunner 80 49,889 26-12-2008, 11:05 PM
Last Post: jason knight
  Hastings Marathon - List of Competitors ladyrunner 1 2,012 06-09-2008, 12:49 PM
Last Post: ladyrunner
  Hastings Marathon Course Map ladyrunner 1 2,009 14-07-2008, 09:45 PM
Last Post: steepler
  Hastings Marathon Onewithwind 11 5,021 03-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Last Post: ladyrunner
  Beachy Head Countdown Sweder 1 1,598 20-10-2007, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Moyleman
  paris marathon els 8 3,588 20-04-2007, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  Paris marathon 2007 gary c 3 2,289 02-09-2006, 12:28 PM
Last Post: Moyleman