Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XI Medio maratón de Almería
01-02-2008, 10:25 PM,
On Saturday morning, I went to the airport to meet Andy, M. , Sweder, S. , Moleyman and T. Encarna, another runner who was going to take part at the half marathon, also went to meet them. At the airport, I happened to meet an ex pupil of mine, Juan, who is now a taxi driver. He told me that he wants to study English now because he really needs it for his job. After meeting them, we decided to go to El Alquián to have breakfast before meeting Steve who was coming via Stansted airport. We ordered some “churros” at a kiosk and took them into a café where we had chocolate or coffee. Afterwards, Encarna drove Andy and M. to the Tryp Indalo hotel and I took Sweder, S. , Moleyman and T. to the airport where Sweder would meet Steve. We went to the hotel along a seaside coast which is more interesting than the motorway. We even saw the blue line in part of the half marathon course. When we got to the hotel, Sweder and Steve were just arriving by taxi.

On Saturday afternoon, I met Ana, Jorge and Javier at the railway station. Ana recognised me at once. We went to the hotel where we met Sweder and Stevie.

In the evening, I went with my wife Carmen, my colleague Carmen and her son Paquito to the stadium where we met all the club members, Encarna, Pepe and Guillermo. After talking for a while, we went to the stadium VIP room where we would have pasta dinner in the first sitting. This year we were in two tables. As usual, we had pasta, chicken and chips, dessert such as crème caramel and water or Fanta. I enjoyed the meal and the company. We also had a look at the stadium from the stands and I thought that the following day we´d have to reach the finish line in the athletics track.

On Sunday I went to the hotel in case any of them needed a lift. I met Ana, Jorge and Javier on the way. So I offered them a lift and we went to the hotel to see if we could take one more mate. We met Sweder, Moleyman and Steve jogging towards the stadium. We greeted them from the car and went to the hotel where Ana looked for Andy who accepted the lift. As Ana, Jorge and Javier hadn´t had breakfast they told me to leave them in a café near the stadium. Andy and I went to the stadium where we met some runners such as Juan Jesús, who took part at Santa Pola half marathon last week. He did it in 1 hour 29 minutes. So, today he was going to do the 10 km run, which would turn into 13 km. In the stadium, we met Sweder, Moleyman and Steve. When we were going out of the stadium, I met my Italian friend Riccardo, who spends some time in a house at Aguamarga, 65 km away from Almería. There was one minute of silence in memory of Antonio Galdeano, a very good Almerian runner, who died of cancer last November. I met him a few years ago because he was a friend of Juan Pedro´s and we went training or to competitions together several times.

It was a beautiful sunny day. I started a bit fast doing the first kilometres in 5´30´´ feeling well. At la rambla, I met a young man from England and a young woman from Northern Ireland who lived in Granada. There, Ana, Jorge and Javier reached me. A little bit later, Encarna, Pepe and Felipe reached us. We talked a little and on the way down, Felipe ran away and later Ana, Jorge, Javier, Encarna and Pepe but I couldn´t go that quick. At Cabo de Gata avenue, I was surprised to see my wife cheering me and taking photos. There was also a little old man with a loudspeaker cheering everybody in an amusing way. He said things like: “ Come on, take advantage now that next year I may not be here and then who´s going to cheer you?” Guillermo reached me and we went together a few kilometres but I couldn´t keep his pace and had to let him go. When I was going towards the last roundabout at Nueva Almería, I saw some 10 km runners coming from there which made me think that they had taken the wrong course. In km 11 just in front of my home, I noticed that I had done 63 minutes, which was quite good for me but not good enough to do the half marathon under two hours. On the second lap up la rambla, I saw M., S. and T. who were cheering me. After km 13, I started to notice some discomfort in my upper leg muscles. So I had to slow down a little and I was reached by Juan Pedro. We talked a little and went together as far as km 17.5 where the mat was but as I felt better, I decided to go on a little bit faster and managed to pass a few runners although others passed me as well. When I got to the stadium, I tried to go a little faster especially when I saw that another runner was accelerating and caught up with me. I finished in 2 hours 9 minutes, 6 minutes more than last year but I can´t complain since I´m fatter and I´ve trained less. Besides, this is my first half since 1st April 2007.

After picking up a bag with a raincoat, medal, cap and a Nestea, bottles of water, I met Encarna, Pepe, Guillermo, Moyleman. We congratulated each other. I waited for Riccardo and inside I met Ana, Jorge and Javier who were very happy although tired after doing more kilometres than expected. I went with Riccardo to his car where his wife was waiting for him. They gave me a bottle of Italian “crema di limone”.

At 2:30 pm, we went to the Tryp Indalo hotel where we met all of them and took the official photo with the half marathon T-shirt, which this year is a bit dreary since it is black in colour. Later, Guillermo and his wife María arrived. Then, we went to the restaurant “Mesón Sierra Morena” but It was difficult to find room to park the car. There, we all met Encarna, Pepe and his son Javier, who had arrived from London that morning. We had a good time there and enjoyed the meal although Ana, Jorge and Javier had to leave before 4 since their train left at 4:15 pm. After taking them to the station, I went on with the meal and I even had to make a speech and a toast to this wonderful gathering, thanking all of them for coming here and to the absent forumites who couldn´t come, hoping that we all could be together again.

After lunch, we took M. and S. on a sightseeing tour along the old part of Almería. We had a look at the fortress cathedral, we went up the Alcazaba, the Arabic castle, from where we had a look in the background and the port in the background. We also saw San Juan church, which used to be the main mosque. Then, we went up to Cerro de San Cristóbal. From there, we had a look at the town, Alcazaba, Saharan animal reserve, the bay of Almería, from Cabo de Gata to Roquetas. We had a very good time with them.

On Monday, when I went to the hotel, I was surprised to see that all of them wanted to go to the Baños de Sierra Alhamilla. It was wonderful but as I only had one car, they had to call a taxi to go the whole party. We went up that little oasis in the desert with palm trees, a few houses, a source of hot water, a spa with a little hotel and a two bars. Andy, Sweder, Moleyman and Steve wanted to do the run downhill to Pechina. So, I remained with M., S. and T. We had a look at the spa court. We couldn´t see the baths because there were some clients in. Afterwards, we went down the winding road to meet them on their way to Pechina where we had a drink at a café.

In the evening, we all met at Molly Malone. I took my wife, Carmen. Encarna and Carmen also went. We had a good time there and before going to other bars, we phoned Ana to sing her “Happy birthday”. It was really moving. After a quick visit to “El Quinto Toro” , we decided to go to another bar, which was “Las Botas”, where we had a drink and ham or cheese for tapa. As Carmen, Encarna, Carmen and I had to get up early the next day, we decided to leave so that our English friends could eat properly.

It´s been a really interesting experience both for me and my wife. Our memories are great. As usual, the race is just the excuse to meet all of us and have a good time all together.

http://WWW.flickr.com/photos/23319530@N07

01-02-2008, 11:28 PM,
Very comprehensive report, gracias.

We should also acknowledge that Antonio adopted his usual Minister of Tourism identity, and as always, was far more helpful than we deserve. The Almeria weekend is a great success because of his extraordinary kindness, and his determination to make us feel welcome and comfortable.

Antonio, I'm sure everyone will join me in thanking you for your generosity of spirit, and the hard work you put in to ensure that the weekend is a success. It is largely because of you, and your charming wife and friends, that we feel happy to keep returning to Almeria.

Here's to 2009.

El Gordo
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
02-02-2008, 09:50 PM,
Gracias, E. G. It´s a great pleasure to share my time with all of you. I´m very glad that you feel like coming here and you will always be very welcome.

Saludos desde Almería

03-02-2008, 07:59 AM,
anlu247 Wrote:As usual, the race is just the excuse to meet all of us and have a good time all together.
I think the secret is well and truly out now!
Great report Antonio. I have to echo El Gordo's remarks; you are a wonderful host. My wife (and I'm sure M & T) was so pleased to spend time with Carmen and truly appreciated your kind hospitality, not least when the menfolk abandoned them for an evening of football and beer in Molly's.

It's blowing a gale here today, cold, bleak and miserable, and I'm about to head out for a long hilly run.
I'll be thinking warm thoughts as I run Smile

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

04-02-2008, 07:42 PM,
Fantastic race report Antonio! Many thanks my friend Smile
Run. Just run.
05-02-2008, 06:32 PM,
Gracias, amigo.

Best of luck!

24-04-2008, 09:02 AM,
Sorry Anlu, I invited you to run with us on the Sunday (4th) when of course I've entered the Three Forts Half marathon. You are of course most welcome to join us for that - let me know if you can and I will enter you for the race - or to join me in the week for a Blackcap run, or even the 5K time trial in brighton on Saturday.

[SIZE="1"]Logistics . . . must find out what that means . . .[/SIZE]

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

24-04-2008, 09:18 AM,
What time are you flying out on Sunday, Antonio? And where are you staying?

I'm a bit tied up with work towards the end of next week, but if you can't get to Sweder's race, I will be in London on Sunday for some Baggie-bashing. Sorry, a football match. The game is between 1400 and 1600, in Shepherds Bush, but could possibly make it along to somewhere like Notting Hill or Paddington areas before or after the game.

On the other hand, if you're flying out from Gatwick, a Sussex race might fit in well with your plans depending on what else you've arranged.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
24-04-2008, 08:49 PM,
Gracias, amigos.

I´m afraid it won´t be easy to meet there since we´re travelling on Thursday to Gatwick and we´re coming back on Sunday at 5 pm from London Stansted. I´m going with my wife and three more couples. I´d love to take part at a race but it´s really difficult. Anyway, I´ll probably go for a run before breakfast one or two days.

Well, best of luck in the race, SW, and good luck at the match, EG.

Saludos desde Almería

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  XXII Medio maratón de Almería Antonio247 5 1,281 11-02-2019, 03:38 PM
Last Post: Antonio247
  XXI Medio maratón ciudad de Almería 4th February 2018 Antonio247 2 959 13-03-2018, 09:48 PM
  XX Medio maratón de Almería 5th February 2017 Antonio247 5 2,479 23-02-2017, 09:15 PM
  XIX Medio maratón de Almería Antonio247 21 10,556 28-03-2016, 11:22 AM
Last Post: El Gordo
  XVII Almería half marathon. 2nd February 2014 Antonio247 5 3,994 03-03-2014, 09:43 PM
  XVI Medio maratón de Almería 27th January 2013 Antonio247 6 5,242 18-02-2013, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  XIV Medio maratón de Almería and other races Antonio247 15 12,620 01-08-2011, 09:01 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  XIII Medio maratón de Almería 31st January 2010 Antonio247 13 11,229 02-04-2010, 09:43 PM
  II San Silvestre Almería. 27th December 2009 Antonio247 6 5,986 05-01-2010, 11:14 AM
  Medio maraton 2010 El Gordo 2 3,886 22-09-2009, 01:34 PM