Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post-London: the rest of 2009
17-09-2009, 01:01 PM,
RE: Post-London: the rest of 2009
(17-09-2009, 10:58 AM)marathondan Wrote: I've concluded that it's one thing to be a serious runner for 4-6 months of the year (marathon training), it's altogether a different proposition to keep it up full time.

Of course: which reminds me of EG's mate who runs 1 mile each and every morning, which I think is a brilliant idea: I haven't achieved this yet, but I've often thought that if in the down times instead of no run at all I just instead ran 5-10 minutes each day, it's no big drama to fit it in, but it's of course enormously better than no run at all.

I especially have no excuse for not doing this: with a treadmill in the house (and within sight of the beer fridge) there's never a day when I cannot run, no matter what the weather, work schedule or anything else suggests to the contrary.

I'll start today. Undecided
Run. Just run.
17-09-2009, 01:50 PM,
Yes indeed. I've lurched from respectable specimen to chubby bloke once too often. If I have one ambition as a runner it's to keep it going permanently. Even if I'm just ticking over. I feel as though I've turned a corner with this. But only time will tell of course. Hope springs eternal. And I'm determined to beat myself up over this. I've tried everything else. Huh
17-09-2009, 09:23 PM,
If we're talking general flab-fighting, then I guess it doesn't matter if it's 7 x 1 mile or 1 x 7 mile.
30-09-2009, 07:17 PM,
Fancy Dress
Not much happening here running-wise; motivation has gone out of the window for a week or so, and today I feel like I'm coming down with something.

So, to try and restore enthusiasm, I'm wondering about fancy dress ideas for my next marathon. Any suggestions? Maybe you've seen some great outfits out there on the road? I'll consider anything, as simple or outrageous as they come.

I have a strange hankering to try and run 4:30 in a full gorilla suit, but I might be getting a bit ahead of myself there.
30-09-2009, 09:18 PM,
RE: Fancy Dress
(30-09-2009, 07:17 PM)marathondan Wrote: ... and run 4:30 in a full gorilla suit, but I might be getting a bit ahead of myself there.
Hmm... not sure I'd like to try that - certainly not at the FLM.
Too crowded, and generally speaking and if recent years are anything to go by, way too hot.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

01-10-2009, 07:24 PM,
Brighton Marathon course
There's now a rather nifty video of the Brighton Marathon course on the race site. This is maybe meant to allay fears of hills, but I'm not convinced. Even watching it makes me tired...

I'm guessing from the map, with the start being inland, that the course has a net descent. Some consolation, I suppose...
01-10-2009, 09:23 PM,
I worked in Brighton for 11 years, so know most of the course. Yes it has a net descent, and any inclines are long and gradual. The last few miles are dead flat and I reckon overall it's a pretty fast course.

I counted at least 3 u-turns though which could be a tad soul destroying Confused
02-10-2009, 07:17 AM,
(01-10-2009, 09:23 PM)Seafront Plodder Wrote: I counted at least 3 u-turns though which could be a tad soul destroying Confused
When I first saw the intended layout I thought it looked a bit 'hokey-cokey' - in-out, in-out - but locals have assured me that's not really the case. Personally I wish they'd extended the Jog Shop Jog course to include an out-and-back finish along the seafront to make it an off-roader, but I fear I'm very much in a minority on that one.

Anyhoo, just as well I'll be in Connemara that weekend eh Wink

02-10-2009, 08:52 AM,
(01-10-2009, 09:23 PM)Seafront Plodder Wrote: Yes it has a net descent, and any inclines are long and gradual. The last few miles are dead flat and I reckon overall it's a pretty fast course.

Thanks SP, that's reassuring.

Sweder Wrote:Anyhoo, just as well I'll be in Connemara that weekend eh Wink

Thanks Sweder, that's not reassuring. Wink

Long and gradual inclines don't worry me so much. Yes, they take more work, but they don't kill the legs and lungs like serious uppy-downies.
12-10-2009, 08:00 AM,
The wheels came off for a little while there. A week of lost motivation, a week of heavy cold, a week of am-I-quite-recovered, waiting for the right moment to strike out again, resulted in three weeks of zero miles. Saturday night wasn’t exactly the perfect moment to strike out, but with an hour to kill before the England highlights I dragged myself out for 5 miles in the cool, still darkness. The second half was a little rough and ragged, but the habit was restarted – mission accomplished.

I’d been just on the point of introducing a tempo run, and thinking about taking the long run out to 10 miles, when my temporary aberration occurred. In fact, it was bottling that 10 miler for some reason that led to my short downward spiral. Still, no matter – onwards and upwards.

I still have a month or so to get into good habits before I really starting thinking about proper marathon training. As ever, less is more, so that will probably just mean two runs a week for a while, rising to three in November, then slotting into the usual Higdon training plan, hopefully a month ahead of schedule compared to last year.

Looking back at last year’s records, I’m astounded that I ran 10 times in November – we’d only had a baby in late August. I was getting by on about 5 hours sleep, and certainly not shirking my duties around the home… how was that possible? I guess it was a very exciting time of life, and we were living on nervous energy.

A year on, and life is remarkably settled and routine. And so it’s possibly even harder this year to motivate myself into getting out. But we all know how well the virtuous circle works, and hopefully this was the first step on the road to Brighton.
12-10-2009, 08:52 AM,
Well done for getting out there again, Dan. As we all know, it's forcing ourselves out there that's important. With another run under your belt you'll be back in the groove, and the momentum will start to grow and take over, without you even being aware of it.

It looks very likely that I won't be aiming for a spring marathon now after all (though I'm remaining schtum about autumn possibilities...). This is a slightly unfamiliar territory for me. Usually, I enter this time of year with the spectre of 15, 18, 20 mile weekend runs ahead of me. All I have in my calendar at present is a series of halfs, with rather mean-looking 10-12 milers forming the peak of my preparations. I suppose with my aim of increasing speed rather than just aiming for a particular race, I have a whole new set of preoccupations. Just need to switch the mindset.

It's good to have a fresh challenge, but I'm still strangely envious of your marathon Huh I won't be presumptuous enough to offer any advice as you're more adept at this game than me. But if I was to say anything I guess it's just to note that your less-is-more style FLM preparation seemed to work very well for you, so I won't be surprised to see more of the same.

Look forward to hearing the tale unfold.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
12-10-2009, 09:02 AM,
I wonder if you ought to configure a button in the forum that automatically posts "Well done for getting out there again, X" and then we just use a radio button to select which forum member is X. Blush

Yes, how strange to be entering a winter campaign without those long runs ahead. But I guess they will be replaced by intervals, hill sessions, and getting to know that lovely medicine ball, all of which will take you into uncharted waters.
12-10-2009, 09:57 AM,
Smile  RE: Post-London: the rest of 2009
Well done for getting out there again, MarathonDan.

Tongue
Run. Just run.
12-10-2009, 10:01 AM,
I hope I didn't sound like I thought EG's support was insincere. Far from it; it's much appreciated. Just that it's a phrase which gets used an awful lot across all the forums...

MCLM, my sincere thanks to you also...
12-10-2009, 10:43 AM,
I'm not offended, you bastard.... Angry

Wink
El Gordo

26-10-2009, 11:12 PM,
Wassup MD? You've been worryingly quiet.
El Gordo

27-10-2009, 08:06 PM,
Thanks for your concern, EG. Messrs Apathy & Procrastination have come to visit again. And then today I've got a second bout of mild flu-like symptoms. I'm at home for half term - so far it's picked off two of the kids and me.

In general, flu notwithstanding, I'm not feeling "up" enough to motivate myself to get out of the door. And I know full well that, based on last year, I don't need to start training yet (last year: two runs a week in November, then three from December onwards). So the opportunity for getting ahead of myself and getting to the start line sharper than last year is fast disappearing.

Meanwhile, I'm seriously toying with this idea of a gorilla suit. It's always been an ambition in the back of my mind (although I never contemplated more than a half mara in one) and so I wonder if I shoud just make the commitment and go for it. I feel I need a harder target than last year, else I know that I'll backslide in training and risk performing worse than 2009. The charity angle is important to me, and I don't think (say) trying to knock 15 mins off my time carries as much weight with sponsors as outrageous fancy dress. This balanced against the fact that there is a real risk of dehydration and heat exhaustion. The costume is up there with the famous rhinos in terms of unsuitablility, and everyone says how fit those guys are to come home sub 5 hrs. Then again, I'd be running 1-2 mins a mile slower than last year's race pace.

I think the answer is, when I've shaken this minor lurgie, to hit the streets in shell pants, fleece, ski mask and woolly hat. That might focus my mind a bit. In which case, I need to be fit by Friday night, as we're away at the weekend and then I've got a week of commuting to Cambridge next week. Arse. And then it will be November...

Sorry to hear that injury has struck you again. Still, we were all hugely impressed with the way you got around it last winter (although I'm aware that you'll be disappointed if you don't improve on last winter's end result). Keep up the good work in the gym.

Oh yeah - good to see you getting out there again today. Tongue
27-10-2009, 09:37 PM, (This post was last modified: 27-10-2009, 09:38 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
(27-10-2009, 08:06 PM)marathondan Wrote: Meanwhile, I'm seriously toying with this idea of a gorilla suit.

Now this is all well and good, but if you really want to impress the sponsors, try this!
Run. Just run.
27-10-2009, 09:57 PM, (This post was last modified: 27-10-2009, 10:41 PM by El Gordo.)
(27-10-2009, 08:06 PM)marathondan Wrote: Sorry to hear that injury has struck you again.

Niggles rather than injuries. A bashed left foot here, an arthritic right there. Not in the same league as the sprains and pulls of last season which can have you hobbling for weeks - or worse, not moving at all. So far so good on that front. But that's enough about me...

Gorilla suit? Well, I certainly wouldn't. Or couldn't, more like. I had a collision with a gorilla in the Copenhagen Marathon. He tripped over a kerb and I fell on top of him. I was very British and apologised, but he was Danish and even more polite. Anyway, while we were dusting ourselves down, I remember him saying that it wasn't easy to see in the suit, and me thinking that impaired vision must be the least of his worries.

Will Brighton be that sort of marathon? What if you're the only person who turns up in outlandish garb? Hmm. Mind you, it is Brighton....
El Gordo

27-10-2009, 10:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 27-10-2009, 10:16 PM by Sweder.)
(27-10-2009, 09:57 PM)El Gordo Wrote: Will Brighton be that sort of marathon? What if you're the only person who turns up in outlandish garb? Hmm. Mind you, it is Brighton....

Frankly you'd stand out a lot more if you went in normal running garb Dan Big Grin

Gorillas might be a bit thin on the ground but I suspect there might be a few more New York Cops, sailors, Red Indians, builders in hard-hats and any number of very tall 'ladies' with hands like bread-baskets Wink

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late '14 - Lightly Limbering Up for London marathondan 31 21,486 07-01-2015, 04:26 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  December - the road to London marathondan 18 23,487 06-01-2012, 10:46 PM
Last Post: marathondan
  The rest of 2011 - between marathons marathondan 73 80,098 28-11-2011, 03:31 PM
  The rest of 2010 - between marathons marathondan 66 69,403 21-11-2010, 05:12 PM
Last Post: ladyrunner
  April 2009 – The Final Countdown marathondan 37 29,728 23-05-2009, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Bierzo Baggie
  Jan 09 - London Calling marathondan 24 20,728 26-01-2009, 10:30 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  Road to London 2009 marathondan 17 12,317 15-12-2008, 10:50 AM