Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
200708 -Getting better
10-08-2007, 09:30 PM,
200708 -Getting better
Friday evening.

Around 8 o'clock, as usual, I wandered into the village. But not to fill up with beer this time. I need to prepare for the morning. Bananas, malt loaf, sports drink.

If all goes to plan, tomorrow will be a first. A long weekend run with other people. A few of the club runners are assembling for 10 or 11 miles along the Thames, and the aim is to join 'em.

On my stroll up the road, I realised how much better I'm feeling physically, compared with a week ago. And mentally. Much as I enjoy a few beers, and the social life that goes with it; and the portentous uncorking of a decent bottle of wine, I have to face the truth -- that this alcohol stuff doesn't bestow too many favours beyond the bliss of the moment. An alcohol-free week has illuminated this cold fact yet again.

Damn.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
11-08-2007, 02:57 PM,
200708 -Getting better
I slept fitfully, wanting to ensure that I got some carbs down me before the run today. And so it came to pass that at 5 a.m. I was lying there in the dark, chomping through a banana and half a Soreen malt loaf, before attempting another stretch of sleep -- not too successfully.

Up at 8, feeling unrested.

But what a perfect summer morning. The sun was was already blinding and warm as I left the house.

It was a rapid drive to Prospect Park, in keeping with my poor time management. Last night I started reading a self-help book called Get Everything Done And Still Have Time To Play. It told me that if I always have to rush to get to appointments, I need exactly the sort of insight and assistance that this very book will provide. I do always have to rush to appointments, so I guess I'm reading the right book. I'll report back on any noticeable transformation. Though perhaps I won't need to. If I start saying things like: As usual, I had to wait fifteen minutes for the other runners to turn up, you'll be able to draw your own conclusions. If I continue to say things like: It was a rapid drive to Prospect Park, you'll know that my £7.99 could have been more wisely invested in the Rhône section of the Waitrose wine department. And indeed, that more wisdom could have been purchased there.

The other three club runners evidently had more impressive time management skills than me, as they were already there. Peter, the stalwart veteran club captain, plus Liz and Maxine, neither of whom I knew before today.

Or at least I didn't think I did. But a mile or so into the run, the charming Liz asked: "Oh, are you the Andy of Running Commentary fame?" And it turns out that I've been corresponding intermittently with her husband over several years, after coming across him on the Runners World web forum. After this realisation, I had to struggle to avoid calling her Mrs Blue Knees.

But seriously, she was great company for much of the first 7 miles. Runners are just damn nice people.

The run took us down to the river near Purley, and along the Thames Path for perhaps three miles before we arrived in Reading town centre. By some sleight of foot, we somehow transferred onto the canal towpath without me realising. I started to suffer badly here. It was getting pretty hot now -- probably 75°F. (No idea what that is in fancydanspeak.)

Hydration, never a problem in my leisure time, has always troubled me on long runs. I've tried most things but nothing is quite right. I can't run with a water bottle in my hand. Apart from feeling unnatural and just plain wrong, the heat from your hand ensures that the liquid is simmering nicely by the time you need it. Lucozade Sport is bad enough even when rendered near-tasteless by a night in the fridge. Taken as a hot toddy, it's unreckonably abominable.

Worn on a belt, a water bottle doesn't get so hot, but it sort of bounces around -- it's like being tethered to some obese rodent in the throes of a violent nervous breakdown. I have quite enough trouble with heavy items in that area -- my stomach for instance -- without needing to add to it.

I've tried one of those bladder-pack jobbies worn on the back. This is the best of a bad lot, though I worry that it makes me look too much like a gear-freak. I'm a portly, middle-aged bloke with a face the colour of an over-ripe tomato. That's quite funny enough already.

So anyway, my liquid reserves today were just a 200ml pouch of orange juice, squashed into the pocket of my belt. And delicious it was too, but there wasn't enough of it. After 4 miles, it was exhausted. A mile further on, I was too.

I struggled on for a couple more miles, but with about 7.3 on my watch, I told the others to continue. Of course they protested, and insisted on sticking around, but I had to tell them it would be even kinder of them to continue, which they did, with impressive reluctance.

It gave me the chance to get my breath back. I walked for a while -- perhaps 10 minutes, then jogged on. From then it was stop-start, but I wasn't too disheartened. Despite being a hot day, and inadequately equipped liquidly speaking, I'd knocked out the first 7 miles in around 10 minute miles which is actually pretty quick for me, especially coming back from a lay-off. I was able to add another 2.5 more leisurely miles to bring it up to about 9.5 in all.

I'm happy with that.
El Gordo

12-08-2007, 10:39 PM,
200708 -Getting better
Nice work Andy. Sounds like abit of a platform.

But you need to persevere with the water-carrying-strategy I think. Regular top-ups during anything longer than about 6 miles is essential for me.

I know what you mean about the hassle of carrying it. I've used belts in the past.

You can get belts that hold upto 6 smaller bottles rather than 1 or 2 big ones at the back.

http://www.sportsbasement.com/jump.jsp?i...temID=8553

I'm going to try one of these because they look more comfortable and flexible.
13-08-2007, 06:42 AM,
200708 -Getting better
Hi GM

You're right about the need to solve this water-carrying problem. It can be glossed over for day-to-day runs but weekend longies, particularly in this sort of weather, need a plan.

Thanks for the reminder about the fuel-belt idea. I have seen these around, though they seem to have been more popular in the US up till now. I noticed one of the club runners wearing one just this week. Hmm. You're right -- this could be the answer, or at least a better answer than any other I've found.

I'll check them out. Cheers.
El Gordo

13-08-2007, 11:50 AM,
200708 -Getting better
Andy Wrote:"Oh, are you the Andy of Running Commentary fame?"

Dear Andy, RC should give you a lot of satisfactions. I can imagine it for a second! I am proud of you
It gave me the chance to get my breath back. I walked for a while -- perhaps 10 minutes, then jogged on. From then it was stop-start, but I wasn't too disheartened. Despite being a hot day, and inadequately equipped liquidly speaking, I'd knocked out the first 7 miles in around 10 minute miles which is actually pretty quick for me, especially coming back from a lay-off. I was able to add another 2.5 more leisurely miles to bring it up to about 9.5 in all.

I'm happy with that.

Well, it is a very charming training report, perhaps the sommer time and the people has played it own role.

Petit à petit... you will get your best form.
Ana Smile
13-08-2007, 06:23 PM,
200708 -Getting better
I've got used to a belt over the years and don't notice it now. If you get a good quality one that is - I currently use a double Nathan, with rigid, angled inserts for the bottles. Carries about a litre and a half, enough for a 3 hrs hot weather training run. Unless you carry some ultra isotonic fuel liquid, I don't think the smaller ones, although weight is evenly distributed, carry enough liquid. If like me you leak voraciously.
Moyleman
13-08-2007, 08:33 PM,
200708 -Getting better
Congratulations on that long distance run, Andy, and on the alcohol free week!

I´m also glad because last week I managed to go for a run four days after many weeks with just one or no day running. I also did a long run on Sunday, just 11 kms but it was very hot as well. The temperature was 29º Celsius. I don´t know how much it is in Farenheit. As I don´t like carrying a bottle of water either, I had to stop at the petrol station near the river Andarax near the sea front to drink some water and pour some on my head.

Best of luck with your training, everybody!

Antonio

14-08-2007, 07:33 AM,
200708 -Getting better
Andy, good to see you got out there and feeling more positive. These summer mornings are a real joy, or they were while they lasted. Its more like November today!

A leisurely 10km for me, nothing much to report, just a nice little run.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  200708 - Getting worse El Gordo 25 11,209 11-02-2012, 10:57 PM
Last Post: Bierzo Baggie
  200708 El Gordo 20 9,137 09-08-2007, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Sweder