Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Track du jour
01-06-2007, 04:57 PM,
Track du jour
Here is a place for your current Running Commentary musical favourites.
01-06-2007, 05:02 PM,
Track du jour
Today's Entry:

Shut your eyes - Snow Patrol

I've always loved a great guitar riff ...

Running Commentary verdict -

"A lunchtime run on Ashtead Common. In easy plodding reach of the suburban jumble of Epsom lies this greenly woooded and secret space, untouched by the world.

Six calm miles were in the plan, but operational navigational issues deep in the forest transformed them into an increasingly flustered eight. Must remember to take the Google Maps satellite print-out next time.

Snow Patrol: Alternative rock group from Bangor, Northern Ireland and now based in Dundee, Scotland. This track from their 2006 album 'Eyes Open', which also contains the atmospheric and enigmatic 'Chasing Cars'."
01-06-2007, 08:21 PM,
Track du jour

Sweder Commentary:
Well, it was my first gym-based, MTV-generation Track du Jour. It's kinda catchy too, huh? Good work people . . .

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

01-06-2007, 10:11 PM,
Track du jour

New Rose
The Damned

Said to be the 'first punk single' - a much-disputed claim but one that holds water with many of us who 'were there' (or thereabouts), New Rose popped up on my i-pod recently. I was reminded of the song, which featured on the band's inaugural LP Damned Damned Damned - the one with the players all smeared in cake on the sleeve - when Lemmy made reference to it on recent Motorhead offering One Night Stand. I love it's freshness, it's youthful exuberance, untamed aggression. Wild, yet retaining that essential framework, the backbone of a genre-leading single. A bit of a cheek posting it here as I haven't claimed at as a TdJ yet . . . but I will. And it is, IMHO, a classic.

01-06-2007, 10:47 PM,
Track du jour
I will own up...

I don't know how to embed a video here.

As the much-missed, great SP knows only too well, where video is concerned, I'm something of a... prehistoric jellyfish sort of creature...

Confused Sad

----

More generally, is there an easy way to download YouTube videos to your own PC, or into some other transferable format?
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
02-06-2007, 09:08 AM,
Track du jour
Stand by for a wholly un-technical explanation . . .

1. Go to YouTube and find your desired clip - play it to make sure it's the one you want!
2. On the right side of the vidoette there are a couple of links
3. Highlight and copy the 'embeded' link
4. Right-click 'copy'
5. Paste into your post
6. Er . . .
7. . . . that's it

You had to know it wouldn't be tough if I could do it Big Grin

02-06-2007, 09:31 AM,
Track du jour
You can also do this with movie clips.
The concern would be over bandwidth . . . but that's something Andy knows about more than me. I recently shuffled my movie top ten to include The Hunger. For those who've not seen it here's a teaser clip. Catherine Deneuve is the thousand-year-old Vampire, Miriam Blalock; Susan Sarandon the investigative doctor, Sarah. Miriam's 'Husband' has just aged forty years in two hours in Sarah's waiting room. She's popped round to the Blalock house to find out why . . .

For anyone worried this might be in poor taste I stress the use of the word 'teaser' in the preamble.

06-06-2007, 01:40 PM,
Track du jour
Not sure exactly when, but this was a recent TdJ. Fabbo clip too. Smile

Run. Just run.
07-06-2007, 06:34 PM,
Track du jour
Sorry no video but when i,m in trouble only one song will do ,There she goes my beautiful world by Nick Cave and the Bad seeds. Fantastically uplifting from one of my heroes
07-06-2007, 10:16 PM,
Track du jour

Live at the Brixton Academy I believe . . .

07-06-2007, 10:49 PM,
Track du jour
Good choice Steve - nice to see an Aussie TdJ. Smile
Run. Just run.
10-06-2007, 09:00 AM,
Track du jour
Up at the crack of dawn this morning for a 6 mile power walk across the downs with muttface. It was already 22 degrees and with little breeze it was shaping up to be a hottie. No great shakes and not yet a run, but hey, it's a (re)start of sorts.

Drove out to the starting point. I have the ipod plugged into the car, and what shuffled on whilst driving home?

Only Summer Breeze by The Isley Brothers.

Spooky or what? Eek
10-06-2007, 09:02 AM,
Track du jour
Seafront Plodder Wrote:Up at the crack of dawn this morning for a 6 mile power walk across the downs with muttface. It was already 22 degrees and with little breeze it was shaping up to be a hottie. No great shakes and not yet a run, but hey, it's a (re)start of sorts.

Eek

This is great news. Good man.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
10-06-2007, 10:51 AM,
Track du jour
Seafront Plodder Wrote:Up at the crack of dawn this morning for a 6 mile power walk across the downs with muttface. It was already 22 degrees and with little breeze it was shaping up to be a hottie. No great shakes and not yet a run, but hey, it's a (re)start of sorts.

I had nothing to do with it. I will not be held responsible.

:RFLMAO:
Run. Just run.
16-06-2007, 05:54 AM,
Track du jour
Sweder Wrote:I recently shuffled my movie top ten to include The Hunger. For those who've not seen it here's a teaser clip. Catherine Deneuve is the thousand-year-old Vampire, Miriam Blalock; Susan Sarandon the investigative doctor, Sarah. Miriam's 'Husband' has just aged forty years in two hours in Sarah's waiting room. She's popped round to the Blalock house to find out why . . .

Oh yes, this is a good movie. A Tony Scott effort (Ridley's brother), and one that could be mistaken for a Ridley flick. Dark, brooding and with no unnecessary dialogue. In fact the script would probably fit on a couple of pages - not one for action fans, but great if you like brooding suspense and a fair slab of classy horror - this is a really good take on the old vampire story, but without a fang in sight.

Maybe not in my top ten movies list, but definitely good stuff.

Time for a steak...
Run. Just run.
27-06-2007, 08:54 AM,
Track du jour
For some reason I was thinking about Paris this morning. Maybe because I was so pleased that she'd been released at last.

Anyway, here is an enchantingly homespun version of an old and annoyingly obscure French favourite for you today, complete with authentic barking dog and errant toddler interruptions.

Or you might prefer this original clip.
24-07-2007, 09:26 PM,
Track du jour
Hmmm. That one was so good that they took it down. Or maybe not.

Anyway, it's time to bump this thread with something new, so here's The Fray instead ... better get the Kleenex at the ready, Sweder.

25-07-2007, 09:01 PM,
Track du jour
[Image: underground5.pdf]
25-07-2007, 09:10 PM,
Track du jour
If you haven't seen this version of the London Underground map which has been transformed into a thematic map of 20th century popular music, it's worth spending some time with it. A friend of mine has it on his wall and we spent several drunken hours discussing it recently.

[/url]

[url=http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/culturevulture/archives/2006/02/03/going_underground.html]http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/culturevulture/archives/2006/02/03/going_underground.html

Who else but Beck could be King's Cross?
25-07-2007, 09:10 PM,
Track du jour
ok it's a pdf file ...

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-files/Gu...round5.pdf