Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Track du jour
25-07-2007, 09:43 PM,
Track du jour
Eek Somewhat derivative, it has to be said. Which is a posh way of saying "wot a rip-off!" I've had this poster by Simon Patterson on my wall for about 10 years: http://www.artland.co.uk/page2059a.htm

I first saw the original in the Tate in Liverpool. I think it's in the Tate Modern in London now.

I had a brief look at the music one. A couple of odd decisions I thought, but I suppose arguing over this sort of thing is half the point, a bit like making lists...
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
25-07-2007, 09:57 PM,
Track du jour
andy Wrote:A couple of odd decisions I thought, but I suppose arguing over this sort of thing is half the point, a bit like making lists...
. . . Sting, Roger Walters . . . Big Grin

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

25-07-2007, 10:24 PM,
Track du jour
That's quite a good Brian Sewell impression Andy Big Grin
25-07-2007, 10:30 PM,
Track du jour
This should help you perfect the accent ...

[url=http://www.briansewell.co.uk/brian-sewell-written-word/brian-sewell-soundboard.html][/url]

:RFLMAO:
25-07-2007, 10:31 PM,
Track du jour
http://www.briansewell.co.uk/brian-sewel...board.html
25-07-2007, 11:18 PM,
Track du jour
Nice one. Wink

"I don'k know who u r" is a good Sewellism.
El Gordo

26-07-2007, 08:53 AM,
Track du jour
andy Wrote:Eek Somewhat derivative, it has to be said. Which is a posh way of saying "wot a rip-off!" I've had this poster by Simon Patterson on my wall for about 10 years: http://www.artland.co.uk/page2059a.htm
Interesting - I too have had that poster on my wall for about 10 years. But I keep meaning to take it down, because it's not half as good as it first appears. None of the intersections seem to make sense - unless I'm really, really missing something.

The music version seems much better thought out.
26-07-2007, 12:04 PM,
Track du jour
marathondan Wrote:Interesting - I too have had that poster on my wall for about 10 years. But I keep meaning to take it down, because it's not half as good as it first appears. None of the intersections seem to make sense - unless I'm really, really missing something.

The music version seems much better thought out.

Well I don't know, isn't the intersection between Philosophers and Footballers Eric Cantona?
El Gordo

26-07-2007, 12:50 PM,
Track du jour
I completely agree with you Dan.

Whilst the original peice really blew-me-away when I saw it (In T'ate Modern) and is brilliant in it's own right; I think this version stretches the idea further and is more complete. And we are talking about conceptual art here after all.

I can fully understand Andy being slightly dismissive. The original is something he's lived with for 10 years and so there's a real affection for it. And a need to defend it.

But the music version surely has more stature than a list: it's a really well-thought-out excercise in representing influences within modern popular music.
26-07-2007, 01:03 PM,
Track du jour
glaconman Wrote:But the music version surely has more stature than a list: it's a really well-thought-out excercise in representing influences within modern popular music.
...most of which are completely over my head Confused
26-07-2007, 05:43 PM,
Track du jour
I'm not about to wade in too deep here, though I will say I'm with Dan on some of the cross-references. I'll point to the first couple of comments left by others after the original article (first link, not the pdf).

Why did you do this? What is the point? Wouldn't you have been better off doing something else?
Sometimes you media people really worry me.
Posted by Richard on February 3, 2006 09:27 AM.

Yes! I was going to say exactly the same thing. The most stereotypically self-indulgent Guardian wank I can think of, bordering on self parody. Smug, London obsessed (and I live in London) nonsense. It's got nothing to do with anything!
There's people like, dying and stuff. And where are the Arctic Monkeys, anyway...?
Posted by J Bishop on February 3, 2006 10:11 AM.

There are a few more in a similar vein.

Dan, it could all be Emperor's New Clothes stuff, or there may really be deeper meaning to some of the connections.
If so they're over my head, too. Perhaps a more apt analogy might be Mornington Crescent Big Grin

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

26-07-2007, 08:49 PM,
Track du jour
In other circumstances I'd defend it as a good idea actually, but the simple fact is that it isn't an original one, thus drastically reducing its impact for me. The briefest of Google searches has just told me that there's also one featuring film stars. And I've no doubt there are others. Writers and genres anyone? Movies and genres?

I don't see what's so very difficult about putting together a musical one. It would take a bit of time, sure, but with an internet connection, most of us would make a reasonable go of it.

And I'd put Donovan on the Folk rather than Rock line...
El Gordo

10-08-2007, 01:38 PM,
Track du jour
OK, let's keep things nice and simple.

[Image: rockMotorway.jpg]