Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Printemps at last
25-06-2007, 12:42 PM,
Printemps at last
Thanks for the report, SW, I enjoyed it.

Personally, I was quite pleased with your time as it was slower than my previous 3 10Ks. Hurrah!

As for getting faster, I'd not think about it till you're fully recovered from your illness, breathing properly, and have a few dozen miles back in the legs. If you're still after an improvement then, well I guess the usual old stuff comes into play: you get faster by running faster, and all that. As you'll well know, the classic formula is one tempo, speed and long run each week, plus the odd bit of cross training.

Hal Higdon has a book, "Masters Running" that I keep meaning to get hold of. Aimed at, shall we say, the more... mature athlete. I suspect it'll have some good advice and ideas for maintaining or improving speed as the years gradually accumulate.

What's next race-wise?
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
25-06-2007, 12:45 PM,
Printemps at last
Well done anyway SW, even if it wasn't a great run at least you're out-there testing yourself against the clock. Unlike me. Rolleyes

I'm no expert but I'm guessing that speed often comes from mixing-up your training schedule to include things like fartlek, hill reps and track sessions. Even picking short routes and just trying to run them harder than normal would probably help.

All the best.
25-06-2007, 03:43 PM,
Printemps at last
stillwaddler Wrote:Somewhere I have to find a way of running faster. Any ideas anyone?

Wouldn't worry too much as "get faster" sometimes means "get injured". And 7th in your catagory sounds quite impressive for a field of over 1000!

If it's any consolation I've notched 3 personal worsts out of 3 so far this season :o
25-06-2007, 05:08 PM,
Printemps at last
Congratulations SW!

I think any time you run a race and finish its good. We can get too caught up with time - instead of just accepting how you ran on a particular day.

I find my time picks up the more hills I run. I hate running hills but am trying to force myself to do them once a week. I know the fellow that has won one of our local races for about 10 years in a row credits it to doing hills - he said his secret is hills, hills, and more hills. Who said running is all fun?Big Grin

Suzie
26-06-2007, 08:04 AM,
Printemps at last
Yes!!! A Bit of Brendan-bashing . . . Foster-flogging!!! Always welcomed in Swederville, SW. The pompous Ass rashly insisted that Paula Radcliffe was 'making ground' in Athens when she was palpably struggling mere moments before she pulled out. He has no clue how to call a race without resorting to uncontrolled verbal bollocks (much to the obvious chagrin of the excellent Steve Cram). Sorry - it was a rant, and it had to come out.

As for your 10K time, good on you for lining up after a pretty miserable time of it. There's no doubt the lurghie took its toll. Andy's right - worry about improvements when you're fully recovered (both from the run and the bug).

If you want to speed up generally then interval training seems to be the way forward. Either track work (not for me!) or fartlek (that's more like it!) with periods of 'flat out' sprinting followed by recovery running will add pace to your overall performance. It's hard work but another benefit is you end up running on tired legs sooner in your session. Sam Lambourne (aka Yoda) swears by this - training yourself to run on knackered pins. He reckons its the secret to getting through the inevitable tough sections of longer races.

'Run on tired legs and get through tougher races you will'
[SIZE="1"]To be read in a poor attempt at a Fozzie Bear voice[/SIZE]

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

26-06-2007, 02:14 PM,
Printemps at last
For the encouraging kind words, you RC's really know how to cheer an old girl up. I'll try a little fartlek -(!) soonBig Grin I usually engage in a little speed play when I'm on the tready, usually in desperation to get the damn experience over with as quickly as possible but I must admit when I'm out on the roads I tend to settle into a groove and stick with it, often probaby as a result of my mind wondering.That didn't happen on Sunday though:-(
Glaconman, I'll try running my local 3.4 cicular route a bit quicker, may be going in the opposite direction so that I don't hit a hill first...in my neck of the woods Suzie you can't avoid the odd undulationSad Sweder I'll try the sprinting (well slightly faster waddling) early on in a session, seems like a good idea to make the most of the time available. BB I know how you feel, but I haven't even done any decent distances yet this year unlike you. Andy I'm going to search out Hal's book on Amazon and see what he has to say, I certainly liked his marathon training schedules.
One thing occured to me maybe I just couldn't perform because I was at City's ground :RFLMAO:

May be I'll just settle on growing old disgracefully
26-06-2007, 11:05 PM,
Printemps at last
stillwaddler Wrote:One thing occured to me maybe I just couldn't perform because I was at City's ground :RFLMAO:
We may mock them SW, but beware, for they have summonsed the Devil and his name is Sven Eek Lord Ferg'll be tossing and turning in his crypt the noo.

26-06-2007, 11:29 PM,
Printemps at last
Sweder Wrote:We may mock them SW, but beware, for they have summonsed the Devil and his name is Sven Eek Lord Ferg'll be tossing and turning in his crypt the noo.

Sven will surprise a few people, mark my words.
El Gordo

26-06-2007, 11:46 PM,
Printemps at last
andy Wrote:Sven will surprise a few people, mark my words.
I heard Nick Ross is relocating his Crimewatch team to Manchester for a new series based at the Theatre of Devine Comedy. With a deposed despot and a former Batman arch-villain installed in the Penthouse Suite at CoMS you can expect dark skies laced with forked lightening and the echoes of demonic laughter ringing through the rain-soaked streets. And that'll just be Stuart Hall.

Sven won't spring too many surprises. He'll make a bundle, do OK but win nowt whilst saying 'Well-ah Garrry' quite a lot. Although I'll wager on the arrival of a much-photographed swarthy Italian at Eastlands before too long.
Though Lord knows what the locals will make of Nancy . . . thrrrrrumb-tish!

Ahm ear all week, eyethangyou!

27-06-2007, 07:02 AM,
Printemps at last
SW - good effort. Its so easy to not bother when you are not feeling 100%. I am also in search of a bit of extra speed and am trying some hill repeats once a week as well as running a tempo run at my hoped for 10k pace. Not seeing any results yet, but its early days. Small steps and all that!
02-07-2007, 12:12 PM,
Printemps at last
It's lock up your secretary time here in Manchester, the svelt Sven is on his way - actually, he looks awafully like my Father used to....

Nick, we must compare speed training notes, I'll guarantee my speeds will always be slower than yours;-)
02-07-2007, 02:34 PM,
Printemps at last
I overheard an interview with that Nancy del Lollipop over the weekend. To be fair she sounded pretty well grounded for someone with such humungous sunglasses and in little doubt as to the nature of the love-rodent with whom she allegedly shares a bed. Manchester's probably been a bit dull since Vicky's Incredible Hydraulic Bosoms moved to Madrid. Nice to see some glam heading back to party town.

I always thought (and I know I'm not alone) that Svennis looked a lot like Homer Simpson's boss, Mr Burns.

02-07-2007, 02:52 PM,
Printemps at last
Nancy will surprise a few people, mark my words.
El Gordo

05-07-2007, 09:44 PM,
Printemps at last
got his book on running for the over 40's yesterday - Amazon bargain,brand new at 99p! Obviously this is going to revolutionise my training regime Wink
05-07-2007, 09:58 PM,
Printemps at last
stillwaddler Wrote:got his book on running for the over 40's yesterday - Amazon bargain,brand new at 99p! Obviously this is going to revolutionise my training regime Wink

Hey, that's quite a coincidence SW -- I just bought a copy too, though I think mine was all of £3.50 Eek Should be arriving tomorrow. We'll those these uppity youngsters a thing or two.
El Gordo

17-07-2007, 01:41 PM,
Printemps at last
Have now comleted afore mentioned book, not sure if I have learned anything 'though - other than have goal in mind and how about putting together your own training plan?

Will give it due thought. Am off to Denver on Friday to see friends and then onto San Francisco and then back to Denver for a wedding, may get in some runnning somewhere during the trip. Nothing like a bit of altitude training;-) Althought the beer that will undoubtedly consumed may mitigate any benefits but now the US has so many pleasant micro breweries it would be a shame not to try them

Have just realised why I am so fat this summer, it's because I am still eating winter comfort foods because of the lousy weather, I have normally switched to grazing salads etc by this point in a normal summer, consuming a lot less calories without even thinking about it...mind you alittle extra running would help with the excess avoirdupois too...
17-07-2007, 02:28 PM,
Printemps at last
Well, it will be a pity if you do not compares US beers with yours, so do not worry at all and just send us the report Wink . The trip sounds magic!
Ana Smile