Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oscar
26-02-2007, 10:07 AM,
Oscar
Is it me . . . or is awarding Martin Scorsese an Oscar for The Departed a bit like nailing Al Capone for tax evasion? I suppose it beats damning him with a hastily arranged Honorary Award - Ennio Morricone looked singularly unimpressed with his having failed to land a statuette in 30 years of scoring top films. He got his revenge by making a speech in Italian with Clint Eastwood, a man who enjoyed a huge career boost with help from Morricone's famous score in The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, translating in a somewhat haphazard style.

I know, I know . . . the Oscars hardly warrant a mention in our Culture section . . . but Pan's Labyrinth picked up a clutch and Al Gore's Eco Warrior documentary An Inconvenient Truth was honoured, which in some odd way gives me a glimmer of hope for the future.

Finally hats off to Helen 'get yer kit orf' Mirren, possibly the only woman on Earth who could make E. Windsor look horny. She's single-handedly created the headline all BBC outlets craved last night - 'British Triumph At Oscars!'

I'm off for a lie down.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

26-02-2007, 01:20 PM,
Oscar
More grounds to see The Queen.

I didn't wanted to dissapoint you, so I didn't say anything the other day. But, in the film, do not wait to find the attractive Helen of your dreams. She plays good her role. So besides the awful glasses (there is not budget for Royal Image Adviser?) she looks like her a lot. My congratulations to Helen.
Ana Smile
26-02-2007, 01:52 PM,
Oscar
Try as I might, I can't stop myself from liking awards ceremonies. Although thankfully I don't have Sky so couldn't stay up and watch.

Personally I was wanting Babel to do well; Ms Cruz for Best Actress in Volver and Patrick Marber for best adapted screenplay for Notes On A Scandal. Didn't much care about the rest. But only the Sound gong came in for Babel. Which was some consolation.
28-02-2007, 11:16 AM,
Oscar
Ana Wrote:... there is not budget for Royal Image Adviser?

Hey Ana,
I'm still wondering if I might know you from Madrid somewhere.

And that's a great line, by the way - in a cinematic context, more than well worthy of Borat himself ...
28-02-2007, 01:38 PM,
Oscar
Uhmmm I do not think so, because I don’t know English people in Madrid. Were you visiting this beautiful place? Cool
Also, Eek now, I remark that Borat is English Uhmmm, I must recognise that I have laugh a lot during the film, but if I were American… I believe that Borat’s film can hurt American feelings.
Ana Smile
28-02-2007, 02:38 PM,
Oscar
The plot thickens. Verily, it does.
28-02-2007, 04:48 PM,
Oscar
Verily indeed . . .

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

28-02-2007, 10:11 PM,
Oscar
Ana Wrote:I believe that Borat’s film can hurt American feelings.

I think that's why it was so popular, Ana. Smile
Run. Just run.
01-03-2007, 08:44 AM,
Oscar
By Janus, methinks you're right. Nature hath framed strange fellows in her time.