Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Thread, Fresh Start
27-02-2007, 12:53 AM,
New Thread, Fresh Start
Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:Au revoir my little chickadees. (5 points for anyone who can remember who used that phrase many years ago.)
Without resorting to search engines . . . was it WC Fields?

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

27-02-2007, 06:06 AM,
New Thread, Fresh Start
Looking forward to trying RC Almería Ale, MLCM. Does it have a little prickly pear ( chumbo ) flavour?

Saludos desde Almería Greetings from Almería

Antonio

27-02-2007, 08:24 AM,
New Thread, Fresh Start
Sweder Wrote:Without resorting to search engines . . . was it WC Fields?

I seem to hear it with Barry Humphries in mind but if one of his characters ever said it, it may well have been mimicking some earlier user. I haven't looked, either. As my answer no doubt proves.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
27-02-2007, 09:38 AM,
New Thread, Fresh Start
I'm not even sure if I mean WC Fields.
I remember the guy who said it seemed to speak out of the corner of his mouth with an odd sort of drawl, the 'ee' of 'Chickadee' being dragged out somewhat. He also wore a top hat and smoked cigarettes in a holder* . . .
[Image: f-105.jpg] [Image: burgessmeredith.jpg]

Crickey - doesn't the bloke on the left look remarkably like someone around here . . .
circa 11pm Sunday night, Almería . . . Eek

[SIZE="1"]* Hmm . . . come to think of it that might have been Burgess Meredith as the Penguin . . . [/SIZE]

27-02-2007, 01:08 PM,
New Thread, Fresh Start
The inimitable Moon Martin wrote those stunning lyrics way back when... oh gosh, many yonks ago. Around about the same time that Kenny Everett was assailing us with his French alter-ego Marcel Wave and the "Au revoir my little chickadees" (and variants thereof) line. Anyway, all that lot came to mind today during my 45 min treadmill session, when I suddenly felt old. Old because of the music I was playing, the difficulty with which I was doing what was really a very easy run, and because of the chorus of complaints from certain joints. Oh well, such is life. At least I got the bugger done.

Actually I've had to ease back a bit with the running, but that's quite okay. I expected as much. I've resorted to doing slow runs with a 1 minute walk break for every 5 minutes run. I'll do this for a while just to ease the pressure on my knees. A slow shuffling kind of run is all I'm capable of for the moment, but that's fine for building endurance, and by the time I'm ready to start serious training for a big race, everything will be fine. Without a doubt. Quite certainly so. See if I'm wrong...

I'm still confident, is what I'm saying.

Despite that brief descent into mild pessimism, February was a good month for me, mileage-wise. Quite a few banked, so I'm happy. And two barrells of beer brewed and bottled as well... getting set for a long winter ahead, you see. Smile

Like Andy, I've been very conscious of late as to the detrimental affects of alcohol on my running. Well, it's more to do with stacking on the flab than running performance as such, but it's sufficient to have made me cut back considerably on the booze this year. And it's paying off. But I don't think I could ever be teetotal. For one thing I'd have my citizenship revoked. Teetotallers and vegans are barred from Australia, and anyone taking up such a dangerous and anti-social way of life is revoked of citizenship and forced to live on a remote island in the sub-Antarctic...

It's late. I need sleep.

Goodnight, fellow runners...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Run. Just run.
27-02-2007, 01:17 PM,
New Thread, Fresh Start
Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:Au revoir my little chickadees. (5 points for anyone who can remember who used that phrase many years ago.)

Oh, thanks,
I thougt it was Elisabeth Taylor, or even worst, Mr. Jackson Smile
Ana Smile
27-02-2007, 01:27 PM,
New Thread, Fresh Start
anlu247 Wrote:Looking forward to trying RC Almería Ale, MLCM. Does it have a little prickly pear ( chumbo ) flavour?

Oh yes, it's very chumbo.

I tried the first one yesterday - still waaay too young to drink really, but I like to test them whilst they're still babies and keep an eye on their development. Like any proud parent would do Smile

Initial impressions are that this is a fine example of English Ale / Spanish malted chumbo fusion with a hint of fine, smokey Moravian hops dominant on the early palate, with an as yet unharmonious cacophany of fulsome but competing flavours on the mid-palate with a slightly sour after-taste (this will certainly improve as the beer ages).

I'll post further news as it progresses.
Run. Just run.
27-02-2007, 01:30 PM,
New Thread, Fresh Start
Ana Wrote:Oh, thanks,
I thougt it was Elisabeth Taylor, or even worst, Mr. Jackson Smile

No Ana, but you win a prize for the most bizarre guess ...

[Image: 16290103.jpg]
Run. Just run.
27-02-2007, 02:01 PM,
New Thread, Fresh Start
Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:No Ana, but you win a prize for the most bizarre guess ...

Thanks!
It’s curious; Mother superior of my convent always says the same to me when we play.
Ahhhh, all nuns will be so happy for receiving this wonderful gift! Big Grin
Ana Smile
27-02-2007, 02:41 PM,
New Thread, Fresh Start
Ana Wrote:Mother superior of my convent always says the same to me when we play.
Eek Big Grin play what, Anna?

27-02-2007, 09:21 PM,
New Thread, Fresh Start
Sweder Wrote:Eek Big Grin play what, Anna?

I expect they hoon around on their vespers, Sweder Big Grin
Run. Just run.
28-02-2007, 11:36 AM,
New Thread, Fresh Start
Uhmmm,
I do not understand…Confused
I stop joking because I am loosing control
And in those cases, my psychiatrist gives me too much pills…Eek

Ok, definitely, I stop. Smile
Andy should be very angry with me, because I do not speak about running any more.
Regarding that, I was obliged to change my strategy.
Actually I have a lot of work at the office. When I leave it is too late and I am so hungry that I am not able for going swimming, running…
Now I go swimming very early at the morning and after that I came to my job.
So less time and I have not running at the belt.
Anyway, weather begins to be wonderful, long days are coming and I hope to go running in free, at the park. Much better, isn’t it?
Ana Smile
28-02-2007, 12:23 PM,
New Thread, Fresh Start
Oh yes Ana, much better to be running free in the Great Outdoors than on the treadmill. I know some of us have no choice but for me the running machine is not an option. One of the great joys of running is the feeling of spreading your wings, embracing nature, even communing with God as you celebrate His creation, if that's your thing.

Whatever your pleasure in running a little sunshine certainly helps Smile

28-02-2007, 04:41 PM,
New Thread, Fresh Start
MLCMan - just wanted to comment on you doing the run/walk thing. They've been 'teaching' that method for quite a few years here in Canada - Jeff Galloway's theory. I walk for a minute every 10 minutes and find that I can run faster when I'm running and still feel good at the end of a long run. It really does save your knees (and in my case the IT band) a lot of stress. I think you'll like it. Definitely does extend your running career.

Suzie
28-02-2007, 09:50 PM,
New Thread, Fresh Start
suzieq Wrote:MLCMan - just wanted to comment on you doing the run/walk thing. They've been 'teaching' that method for quite a few years here in Canada - Jeff Galloway's theory. I walk for a minute every 10 minutes and find that I can run faster when I'm running and still feel good at the end of a long run. It really does save your knees (and in my case the IT band) a lot of stress. I think you'll like it. Definitely does extend your running career.

Hi Suzie, thanks for that - to be perfectly honest, I feel like a fool for not trying it sooner Sad Already it's made a huge difference, and the fact that I'm running at all is entirely down to Galloway's run/walk technique. My long run (14k) last week would have been completely impossible if I'd try to run it non-stop.

Quite frankly, I've had Galloway's books for about three years now, and have actually read them cover-to-cover, but have never really used the method, except when I was first getting started. I'm not sure why it's taken me this long to fully appreciate how useful this is going to be. Anyhow, I'm into it now, and loving the sudden ability to run again without debilitating pain.

I also had IT band problems last year, and they can be a bugger to shift, so it's good to know that can be avoided too. Smile

Hmm, I've run out of kangaroos, but here, have a koala... Smile

[Image: koala.jpg]
Run. Just run.
28-02-2007, 10:00 PM,
New Thread, Fresh Start
Ana Wrote:Andy should be very angry with me, because I do not speak about running any more.

Big Grin
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  July - The Running Thread. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 25 12,421 02-08-2006, 12:10 AM
Last Post: El Gordo
  A new year, a new start Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 16 6,591 24-01-2005, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  Stop Start Stop ... Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 5 2,666 11-01-2005, 05:31 PM
Last Post: Sweder