Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
July - The Running Thread.
14-07-2006, 12:52 PM,
I'm starting a new thread devoted to running - no poetry, no geography lessons and no Iron Maiden genealogy!

However, today was a rest day, so no running to report :o

But I do have some running-related news to give you. I have stated before that stout is a very good anti-inflammatory*. Well I can now report that two pints of any good beer, a rather good sirloin steak with mushroom sauce, a Jack Daniels and a half decent coffee also work extremely well. In fact the shin soreness I experienced walking to the pub vanished completely for the return trip home.

I report this purely in the interests of scientific enquiry. Hopefully others may have conducted similar field trials and can report their findings here as well. I'm hopeful of a research grant sometime soon in order to examine this phenomena in more detail.

Be assured you will be among the first to hear of any further medical breakthroughs.

MLC Man

*A colleague of mine has hypothesized that the effect is not so much anti-inflammatory as "sensory depressive". Given that I left the laboratory in quite a buoyant, nay jovial frame of mind, I am sceptical of his claims. However in the name of science I shall carry out further experiments as funding becomes available.
Run. Just run.
17-07-2006, 12:00 PM,
I pushed back Saturday's run because my shins were a bit sore... then I pushed back the run on Sunday because they were still a bit iffy. Then today they felt OK during the day so I figured it'd be fine to go for a run when i got home this evening... uh uh. On the way home (walking) they flared up something shocking... grrrrr. Not sure what is happening, but the return to blisteringly top form is going to take a while, it would seem.

[sigh] Why is nothing ever easy?[/sigh] :mad:
Run. Just run.
17-07-2006, 01:26 PM,
but have you tried applying the stout topically rather than orally? Just a thoughtWink

Mind you, sounds like a waste of good beer to me...
17-07-2006, 01:55 PM,
Tough break MLCman . . . though being 'able' to run in our 'heatwave' (do me the courtesy of not sniggering, please) seems far from a blessing just at the moment.

Presumably if the b'stards are flaring up when you're walking you've little to no chance of 'running through' them. Mercifully I've yet to experience SPs and hope I never do. Struggling along with the equivalent of a medium sized mammal wrapped around my middle is challenge enough . . . :o

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

17-07-2006, 02:17 PM,
Sweder Wrote:Mercifully I've yet to experience SPs and hope I never do.

Freudian slip, Sweder? Big Grin Come in, Seafront Plodder, your time is up.
Run. Just run.
17-07-2006, 02:19 PM,
stillwaddler Wrote:but have you tried applying the stout topically rather than orally? Just a thoughtWink

Mind you, sounds like a waste of good beer to me...

Stout has the double benefit of simultaneously deadening both the pain of, and the desire for running... oral application only required Smile
Run. Just run.
17-07-2006, 06:23 PM,
I supped the best Guinness I've had in a long time over the weekend -- in the famous Crown Liquor Saloon in Belfast. More on the subject when I write it up, perhaps this evening.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
19-07-2006, 11:38 AM,
andy Wrote:I supped the best Guinness I've had in a long time over the weekend -- in the famous Crown Liquor Saloon in Belfast.

You lucky, lucky bastard.
Run. Just run.
19-07-2006, 12:53 PM,
Yes, it's truly gorgeous, we were in there last month - in fact the Guiness fest we had is largely responsible for my current spare tyre Big Grin

Remember Andy "Drink responsibly" (but where is the fun in that)
19-07-2006, 01:13 PM,
Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:I'm starting a new thread devoted to running - no poetry, no geography lessons and no Iron Maiden genealogy!

Err . . . wassat???
Belfast? Pubs? Guinness?
Obviously some code of which I have yet to be made aware . . .
'course I'm strictly T-total meself . . . Rolleyes

19-07-2006, 01:23 PM,
Sweder Wrote:Err . . . wassat???
Belfast? Pubs? Guinness?
Obviously some code of which I have yet to be made aware . . .
'course I'm strictly T-total meself . . . Rolleyes

Um well yes. Guinness is isotonic, isn't it?
Run. Just run.
25-07-2006, 11:23 AM,
Twelve days since my last run Sad but my shins are nearly recovered Smile However I'm about to head off for 5 days of drunken debauchery Rolleyes after which I'll stagger back :o and begin again my totally astonishing, amazing and incredible return to fitness Eek , albeit rather more cautiously next time round. Wink But what's with all these bloody smiley faces? Confused

I need a drink Cool

It's all SP's fault.
Run. Just run.
25-07-2006, 02:29 PM,
Ha! You old drunken sot you . . . I tied one on good n proper last night. Just went out to run it off . . . still a bit rough but I have 12 hours strapped to an ageing 747 to look forward to tonight, so hopefully I'll recover during my post-binge, post-run coma. Report to follow if me wireless code don't expire before I finish . . .

Go easy dear boy, and enjoy Big Grin

ps: SP has an awful lot to answer for, eh?

26-07-2006, 07:30 AM,
Yeah, sorry about that...

Just returned from me hols, where I almost managed a couple of runs as the hotel was set in its own 27 acres and had its own jogging track. Eek

It was however hovering around the 43 degrees mark (probably just comfortable for MLC) so I thought better of it and cross-trained in the pool instead....

Incidentally, never, I repeat never fly with Monarch unless you are under 5'. :mad:
26-07-2006, 12:26 PM,
Seafront Plodder Wrote:It was however hovering around the 43 degrees mark (probably just comfortable for MLC)

Never fear old bean, 43 is hot in anyone's language. I would never run in that kind of heat. It would be more of a jog, really Smile

Where did you go for your hols? Hades del Sol??
Run. Just run.
26-07-2006, 10:10 PM,
Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:Never fear old bean, 43 is hot in anyone's language.

But that's barely 10 degrees above freezing point!!!!???

When I was training for my last marathon, that was a very typical temperature to go out for my long runs.

Australia must be considerably cooler than I'd been led to believe.

Or am I missing something?

Confused Confused
El Gordo

27-07-2006, 08:23 AM,
Hey Andy - only old farts and Daily Telegraph readers persist in using Fahrenheit in this country any more.

Crikey. I'm getting seriously worried about you, old boy ...Wink
27-07-2006, 10:05 PM,
You know where you are with fahrenheit, Nige.

I've no real idea what 20 or 30 or 40 is in this new thing.

Zero, apparently, is the temperature of the frozen lumps that float around in the ice bucket that chills your Champagne when the temperature reaches 30, which I'm told is pretty warm.

What else do I need to know........?
El Gordo

31-07-2006, 11:15 PM,
andy Wrote:Zero, apparently, is the temperature of the frozen lumps that float around in the ice bucket that chills your Champagne when the temperature reaches 30, which I'm told is pretty warm.

What else do I need to know........?

Sounds like you've sussed it pretty well Andy.

And Andy, as a devoted Daily Telegraph reader you'll be interested in my choice of reading on the plane to and from my 4 day drinking binge. I read Neil McCormick's "I Was Bono's Doppelganger" (called "Kill Bono" in some countries I believe) - McCormick is the DT's rock reviewer and the book is a hoot. And it's relevant to runners and all middle aged farts and, well pretty much everyone really, as it's all about heroes and failure and success and chasing one's dream. And it probably contains more wisdom than all those self-help books we read (and wonder why they don't work) put together. Plus it's funny and easy to read. A great aeroplane book. Recommended. Four and a bit stars.
Run. Just run.
01-08-2006, 07:54 PM,
Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:A great aeroplane book. Recommended. Four and a bit stars.

Wow, the power of internet marketing.

I've just been along to Amazon and bought myself a copy. I'd not heard of it before, TBH, but I'll trust your judgement based on your far distant Donnie Darko recommendation (which I thought was excellent), and your admirable appreciation of English ale. And I still feel a bit sorry for you after the Ashes last year, so I want to be nice to you.

(Which neatly sums up the crippled English mindset that ensures we rarely win anything of note.)

But anyway, thanks for the tip. I'll look forward to reading it. Which reminds me. I have an Amazon link on the front page. Anything bought through that link will earn a few pennies to offset the cost the cost of the site...

Wow, the power of internet marketing. Big Grin
El Gordo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Running Again. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 3 356 10-11-2022, 01:22 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  Running Nirvana and Om...elette. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 6 1,560 24-02-2018, 02:59 AM
  Thigh July Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 11 2,565 18-08-2017, 05:31 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  My my, it's July. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 5 1,925 04-08-2016, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Antonio247
  Time to Fly July. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 8 3,070 20-07-2015, 01:03 PM
  Why oh why July? Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 8 3,319 21-07-2014, 06:47 AM
  Far from dry July. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 5 2,540 30-07-2013, 04:36 PM
  Dry July? No! Why? Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 22 15,476 30-07-2012, 08:04 PM
Last Post: marathondan
  July July Tempranillo Pie Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 21 13,642 28-07-2011, 09:24 PM
  Jellied July Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 7 3,775 25-07-2010, 06:17 PM
Last Post: glaconman