Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Culture Novels
04-02-2007, 05:09 PM,
Culture Novels
In deference to the name of this new addition to the RC community, any other fans of the mighty Iain M Banks and his Culture novels out there? I was wondering just the other day why no-one has yet taken up the challenge of filming these wonderful stories.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

04-02-2007, 05:21 PM,
Culture Novels
Not really my cup of tea, I'm afraid. Never been much of a sci-fi man though I admit this might be like the old ad: "I've never tried Guinness because I don't like it."
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
04-02-2007, 09:07 PM,
Culture Novels
Banks has produced a fair slab of work in the non-Sci-Fi fiction area. The difference can be spotted by his removal of the 'M' from his moniker on the cover. Bank's 'straight' novels include The Wasp Factory, Walking On Glass and The Crow Road, all hugely enjoyable.

If you're not yet into Sci-Fi but fancy a dip may I suggest the Iain M Banks short story collection The State Of The Art?

04-02-2007, 10:13 PM,
Culture Novels
Ah, didn't realise "Iain M" was the same as "Iain". I've still never read any of his stuff though must admit the Wasp Factory and the Crow Road have been recommended to me many times. In fact, in Almeria, I mentioned that I'd read the Stephen King book containing Shawshank and Stand By Me while on holiday one year. I'd gone to Spain with that book and The Wasp Factory, both lent to me by someone who thought I'd read too many of the classics and not enough modern popular stuff. I was dubious, but as I mentioned, the King book opened my eyes. I never did read the Wasp Factory, which puts me into that tiny group of people who've never read Wasp Factory OR a Nick Hornby (not counting Fever Pitch) OR a Tony Parsons.

I'll do it.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
05-02-2007, 05:51 PM,
Culture Novels
On the same wavelength as you there, Sweder.

I'm an Iain Banks fan, too. I enjoyed 'Dead Air', but my favourite is

'The Crow Road'. In my all-time top five.

In a similar vein (well, by a Scottish author at least) have you read any William Boyd ?

'Brazzaville Beach' is marvellous, as is 'An Ice Cream War' (both about Africa, although different parts). He's written a couple of excellent pseudo-memoirs, too - 'The New Confessions', and 'Any Human Heart' - each of them providing thought-provoking romps through the 20th Century.

But my favourite is actually Armadillo, about a Serbian migrant in London with the undoubted misfortune of being called Slobodan. The BBC made it into drama a year or so back which got mixed reviews, but the book is just an absolute cracker.
05-02-2007, 06:10 PM,
Culture Novels
Nigel Wrote:In a similar vein (well, by a Scottish author at least) have you read any William Boyd ?
I haven't yet . . . but that's the joy of this part of the site - I will now! Walking On Glass is my favorite IB; Consider Phlebas writing as IMB.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Well ok it's not culture, but it amused me... Seafront Plodder 0 1,278 01-09-2008, 08:27 PM
Last Post: Seafront Plodder