Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The shortest Marathon campaign in history
12-01-2007, 10:26 AM,
Thanks for the encouragement chaps, but this one's a non-starter I'm sorry to say.

I called my father up last night and we're off to Ireland that weekend. Flights and hotels already booked.

Why are other people so bl**dy organised!

I'm gutted actually as this just seemed like a fantastic race. As Andy says, not run for 20 years and in one of the most beautiful parts of the country.

Looks like it's back to the drawing board to find another decent event.

At least the intent is there.

Anybody want to buy a number?
12-01-2007, 10:55 AM,
glaconman Wrote:Anybody want to buy a number?

What about SP? I'll even contribute if he agrees to do it Wink

But that's wretched luck G-man. Doubtless there'll be something else you can put your training into though.
Run. Just run.
12-01-2007, 11:00 AM,
No need mate.

If SP wants it I'll willingly donate it FOC ...
12-01-2007, 11:02 AM,
glaconman Wrote:No need mate.

How can he refuse?! Big Grin
Run. Just run.
12-01-2007, 11:05 AM,
The momentum builds .... a glorious return is nigh!
12-01-2007, 12:59 PM,
Funny, I suspect FOC (or something very like it) is precisely the sort of response you'll get from the Mighty Plodder Big Grin

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

12-01-2007, 01:23 PM,
Roflmao :d
12-01-2007, 01:45 PM,

Do you really want the Windermere Marathon record books to say: "2007: And last but not least, Glaconman: 12 hours 57 minutes...."

-----

I'll swap you a Two Oceans Marathon entry...... ??
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
02-03-2007, 11:07 AM,
A quick update.

This has gone from the shortest to the longest marathon schedule, as I've carried my entry over until the 2008 race. It's still a race I'd love to do.

Like Andy, I'm ready to go. I can visualise my athletic frame gliding across baron hills. It's just a question of turning that into reality now. But optimism is a good first step.

So what for this year? I was contemplating the Jungfrau, but entries closed on Wednesday. Double-damn.

One thing is for sure, I do need a target. Something looming on the horizon. I've proved that to myself.

ps. Sorry for doubting your Hamalyan love story Andy; it was only done in jest. Being abondoned in a puke stained hovel with amoebic dysentery must have been your Shimla story. Or was it Kathmandu? Anyway, I prefer the Darjeeling one, without-a-doubt.
02-03-2007, 01:51 PM,
glaconman Wrote:ps. Sorry for doubting your Hamalyan love story Andy; it was only done in jest. Being abondoned in a puke stained hovel with amoebic dysentery must have been your Shimla story. Or was it Kathmandu? Anyway, I prefer the Darjeeling one, without-a-doubt.

Ah, couldn't remember who it was. Well, as you've been magnanimous, I'll come clean too. It was hardly a 'summer of love' -- more of a drunken fortnight of heavy petting, and she was decidedly unglamorous. But it was still a very happy oasis in an often-grim few months. My ten days of vomitry and worse was Kathmandu. I referred to it in Almeria to explain why I never eat seafood.

Good news about your burgeoning enthusiasm. I'm just about to get out for my first run in about 3 weeks. It won't be fun, but the sun's shining, and it has to be done.

Like you, I'm also trying to plan ahead for races. I've got a few local ones in my sights but am wondering how much I can dare to fantasise about an autumn marathon. I'm on holiday in September which isn't ideal preparation for an October mara. I've thought of Dublin at the end of October, or possibly something in Europe like Berlin (though I've done a German one before) or the Medoc Marathon in September which sounds a laugh. Or there's Loch Ness. Or Warsaw, though Poles take it all a bit seriously. Am still mulling.

I should do some running before I plan anything. Keep us updated with what you decide. I might even join you.

Don't forget Almeria January 08. No excuses this time...
El Gordo

02-03-2007, 09:52 PM,
I´ll pay attention to the autumn marathon you decide just in case I could take part in it as well.

I suggest Benidorm marathon on the last Sunday of November. The atmosphere is very good and it looks as if you were running in the UK with so many British people running and cheering. Besides, you can do a half marathon or the full marathon.

I´ve taken part in the two previous half marathons and the weather was mild with people sunbathing or sitting at the sea front cafés.

http://WWW.runningcrazy.co.uk/benidorm.html

http://WWW.benidorm.org

Anyway, Glaconman, we´d love to meet you in Almería half next year. I´m sure we all we´ll have a good time together again.

Saludos desde Almería

03-03-2007, 01:00 AM,
Thanks Antonio, but to be honest, I don't really fancy the Benidorm race, especially as it has a 5 hour cut-off. I won't make any decisions right now. It really depends on me having a good spring and summer, which I'm determined to do. Will keep you posted.
El Gordo

03-03-2007, 09:57 AM,
What about the Reykjavík Marathon (August 18th)?
I fancy that, though not this year. A fellow Sunday plodder took it on last year and raved about the whole experience afterwards. He's off to Rome this month; best of luck Barry.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

03-03-2007, 12:14 PM,
glaconman Wrote:This has gone from the shortest to the longest marathon schedule, as I've carried my entry over until the 2008 race.

Thus time we waste, and shortest leagues make long Eek
30-04-2007, 12:22 PM,
Happy birthday G'man!

Hope Mrs G'man bought you something nice... Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Run. Just run.
30-04-2007, 09:32 PM,
Ahh good on ya mate!

She did, but nothing alcoholic. Luckily my old man helped me out in that department with a bottle of Ardbeg. I've had a bottle of this before, but I don't remember it being so bloody good. Smooth and complex.

Friday also saw me in the Boltmakers Arms where I coaxed down 4 pints of Timothy Tailors Landlord; only a stones throw from the brewery.

I'm a lucky man. And I'm still not 40 yet! Hurrah!

Congrats on April's mileage. Can't say I've been upto much. It'll come around again, I'm sure.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Windermere Marathon May 2007 glaconman 6 3,019 12-01-2007, 12:50 AM
Last Post: Seafront Plodder