Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jumpin' Januaries, Batman
15-01-2007, 05:42 PM,
Who's your fave darts player of all time chaps? I had a lovely trio of 21-gram nickel-tungstens when I was a kid with John Lowe flights. Not the most charismatic champion, but a study in concentration non-the-less.
15-01-2007, 06:04 PM,
The first player I can remember being a 'star' was Jocky Wilson.
"Jocky on the oche" as dear Sid Waddell used to scream.
“Jockey Wilson . . . What an athlete”, another Geordie gem.

Sid coined many phrases. I suspect the most often quoted (and wrongly associated with other commentators) was
“That's the greatest comeback since Lazarus.”

For more Waddellisms visit http://xlab.co.uk/extras/quotes/?source=waddell

To answer the question (!) I used to enjoy Bristow's bluster but for me Bobby George was and always will be The Man. If only he could rap he'd make a million.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

15-01-2007, 09:38 PM,
Eric "Craft Cockney" Bristow for me.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
16-01-2007, 08:53 PM,
[SIZE="7"]YAWN[/SIZE]
Run. Just run.
16-01-2007, 09:47 PM,
Oh, you playing Andy at Chess too MLCMan? Big Grin
Or were you suckered into watching our brave boys limp past the Kiwis earlier?

16-01-2007, 10:08 PM,
Sweder Wrote:Or were you suckered into watching our brave boys limp past the Kiwis earlier?

It's good to see some decent cricket at long last.
El Gordo

18-01-2007, 10:13 PM,
Just a quick one to let everyone know that I'm on holidays for two weeks, and so a little sporadic into RC for a bit.

My holidays have been re-styled somewhat by the dog rupturing her cruciate ligament, thus requiring surgery and careful nursing back to health. Blimey these vets do well out of this sort of thing. I pointed out that euthansia was a fraction of the price we paid, and that for the cost of the surgery we could have built a couple of schools in Zambia or something, but the family just said they'd remember that next time I was sick, so I kept quiet. Alright, I admit it, I'm a coward. Sad

I have been watching a lot of cricket and tennis on the TV of course, and most exciting it has been as well. I think this year's Australian Open tennis is shaping up to be a fascinating battle. The young French guy Monfils was brilliant and superbly entertaining in beating Baghdatis - watch him if you can. The new court surface seems excellent this year, favouring those players who put heaps of spin on the ball - such as Nadal, who is looking in great touch. Later tonight should be a beauty - Safin versus Roddick - I can't wait for that one.

It was good to see England finally win a cricket match. Let's see now if they can pick themselves up a bit for todays game against Oz.

I must go. There's tennis to watch... and a dog to nurse :mad:
Run. Just run.
18-01-2007, 10:18 PM,
Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:It was good to see England finally win a cricket match.

Let's see now if they can pick themselves up a bit for todays game against Oz.

Big Grin

You're a funny guy, MLCM.....
El Gordo

19-01-2007, 08:54 PM,
Erm, yes well. The England bowlers did do well to take 6 Aussie wickets (esp Lewis) but... pretty pathetic really.

Meanwhile, the tennis is fantastic. Roddick was good in beating Safin, but not good enough to beat Federer, sadly. Still, there's time. It always happens - after proclaiming Monfils so loudly, he was instead rather insipid in losing to Gasquet. Haven't seen Andy Murray play yet, but see he won the first two rounds in straight sets, so seems in good touch. Up against Chela in the 3rd. Should be a good 'un.

Bleary eyed but happy.
Run. Just run.
19-01-2007, 08:57 PM,
Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:The England bowlers did do well to take 6 Aussie wickets (esp Lewis) but... pretty pathetic really.
I trust that last remark was directed towards Michael 'Brazen' Hussey :p

20-01-2007, 12:18 AM,
Sweder Wrote:I trust that last remark was directed towards Michael 'Brazen' Hussey :p

I'm impressed. You've only won one lousy one-day match and you're now brazen enough to call a player with a test batting average of 80 (and a one day average of 79) "pathetic"!

We could make an Aussie of you yet Smile
Run. Just run.
07-02-2007, 01:06 AM,
Well, it looks like we're sporting enough to give you crims at least two more chances to batter your favorite opposition . . . jolly nice of the Kiwis to step aside in deference to the real needle match, too. I'd like to think our boys can give you lot a proper run for your money but even I'm not so one-eyed as not to notice we beat an Aussie side missing Ponting and Lee last week (sigh).

But, just for a moment, close your eyes and imagine the headlines should the unthinkable happen . . . Rolleyes

07-02-2007, 02:41 AM,
No thanks - we saw those headlines back in '05.

I have no wish to go there again.

But best of luck - the win against NZ was a ripper. As luck would have it, the local TV transmitter blew up and I could only isten to the radio commentary, but what a classy win. Great stuff.
Run. Just run.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jumpin' Januaries! Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 23 9,912 01-02-2017, 10:09 PM
Last Post: Bierzo Baggie
  Jumpin' Januarys ... it's 2013 already! Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 27 14,580 30-01-2013, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  Jumpin' Januaries, Batman! Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 55 35,637 01-02-2010, 06:03 PM
Last Post: El Gordo