Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fabulous And Furry
13-09-2006, 03:45 PM,
Fabulous And Furry
A weekend trip to The Complete Runner saw the purchase of some new trail shoes. Innovate Roclite 315s, for the record.

Buying shoes is a rare occurance for me. My current road shoes were bought over 3 or maybe 4 years ago and are still going strong. I wear them until they're properly worn-out. My experience in India during the marathon has compounded this attitude.

I don't understand people who listen to manufacturer's recommendations relating to the lifespan of shoes. It seems such an obvious con. Like use-by dates on food. Typical of our readiness to consume and waste.

However, these shoes were based on real need, of course. I'm susceptible to twisted ankles and some of the decents off-the-tops around here can be trecherous.

I was amazed by the bounce and comfort, despite not having a deep cushion and I'd have no problems running for hours on-road in these.

Yesterday saw a run-train-run commute home as the car was left at work. This was followed-up by a cycle into work this morning.

These commuting combinations are great. If you work in the same office every day they help to keep things varied. And it's perect for the distance (15 miles).

My next task is finding some good local runs off-road. I can drive to the dales no-problem and do some of the big hills. But I need to get to know some of the very local terrain for bagging that quick run.

I just need to get more sleep now. And eat less. And drink less.

I've got alot of sympathy with Andy regarding The Booze. I think, like me, he's an all-or-nothing sort of person when it comes to his habits. Like smoking, you either do it or you don't. I'd love to be able to partake in the odd glass of wine; or the odd roll-up. But it just doesn't work like that with me.

I suspect it's time for me to put the booze to-bed for a while and see what can be achieved in its absense. Good-night Burgundy, Laphroaig and Taylors.

Problem is I get bored being sober for weeks-on-end. Abit like when the Freak Brothers try coming-down. It always ends-up with a binge. Same goes for food.

What-to-do? Enjoy and accept? Or shed-skin and reincarnate? I think if I had my name down for a certain ultra I'd know the answer. And maybe that's the difference. I don't have any running commitments to make change absolutely necessary.

Maybe it's time to hatch a plan.
13-09-2006, 09:52 PM,
Fabulous And Furry
glaconman Wrote:Maybe it's time to hatch a plan.

It's the only thing that works for me. Good intentions never last long in my household.

I was interested in what you said the other day about being laid back and entering events at the last minute when the mood took you. I've said stuff like that a lot over the past 4 or 5 years, and I know that it just doesn't work for me. What does work for me is the feeling that I'm embarking on some adventure that I need to plan for and measure. Running has to be a 'project' or part of a bigger project. I don't particularly like it like that, but I've been doing this just long enough to know that this is how I have to do it.

I went to a bar in Akueyri in Northern Iceland this evening to watch the Man Utd v Celtic game. Surrounded by beer and cheery football conversation, it was tough to stick to coffee, but I managed it. I know that it takes just a tiny puncture to bring the whole resolution down. That said, I can't believe this will last all the way to April, or even to next month but it's worth at least a couple of weeks away from it to try to build up a bit of mileage and lose a few pounds.

Anyway, great that you're back in the running frame of mind, GM. It's taken, or taking, me a long time too but I'm very nearly there I think. We should do a race together sometime. Perhaps one of those Leeds ones, or get down this way and join up with the rest of the gang sometime. Brighton might be a bit out of the way, but there'll be others.

Keep in touch, old chap.

Andy
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
14-09-2006, 09:10 AM,
Fabulous And Furry
Blimey - I thought it was tough just forcing one alcohol-free day per week. Hats off to you both!
Run. Just run.
14-09-2006, 09:55 AM,
Fabulous And Furry
glaconman Wrote:Buying shoes is a rare occurance for me. My current road shoes were bought over 3 or maybe 4 years ago and are still going strong. I wear them until they're properly worn-out. My experience in India during the marathon has compounded this attitude.
I agree with the sentiment entirely. I hope to take my current shoes over 1000 miles rather than the 500 recommended (sometime in 2009 then...). But for prolonged road-running, good shoes are injury-prevention devices, so I think caution is required. Sure, you can run on old shoes, but unless you're a natural athlete then you may have to put up with injuries - which could be considered a false economy.

Good luck with them thar hills.
14-09-2006, 03:49 PM,
Fabulous And Furry
Andy;

Iceland eh? The land of .... Ice. And big beatiful women. And fairies. And long nights. And binge-drinking. But I'm sure there's more. You must tell.

MLCM;

Risotto last night. Therefore a bottle of white wine. But I only needed 1/4 for the dish. The whole universe just conspires against me.

Dan;

You're right of course. I was just trying to stir the Imelda Marcos brigade for abit of banter. Alas.
15-09-2006, 04:19 PM,
Fabulous And Furry
I've just booked into a hotel in Reykjavik and find that there's an Irish pub next door bragging about Happy Hour which starts in 20 minutes.

I must be strong.

I must be strong.

I must be......
El Gordo

15-09-2006, 04:27 PM,
Fabulous And Furry
Ahhh feck it Andrew. Will ya have anudda beer now? Come on. Come on.
15-09-2006, 05:32 PM,
Fabulous And Furry
Andy - be strong.
Mind you - Idofindthatallthosecoffeessometimesdohavequitean alarmingeffectespeciallyifdrunkcontinuouslyallday
withoutevenbeingabletogetoutforarun
cozsometimesIthinkitmakesmetoohypedupbutthen
perhapsImonlyreallyimaginingit
after all.
16-09-2006, 09:48 AM,
Fabulous And Furry
No worries.

The cold fish buffet miraculously reduced the appeal of a pint of Guinness.
El Gordo