Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aug / Sep – The Road To…?
07-09-2006, 08:15 AM,
The new training plan has begun. Not sure yet where it will take me – probably Henley and Marlow half marathons, hopefully all the way to London 2007.

Towards the end of the year I’ll pick up the Hal Higdon Novice marathon schedule. My only concession to being an "experienced" marathoner (marathoneer?) is inserting an extra long / long / step-back cycle into the last three weeks. Until then, I’ve drawn up a weekly mileage plan, starting from a piffling 4 miles a week. The final weeks of the Hal Higdon plan are ten times that distance. The idea is to gradually build up my running commitment from barely-noticeable to full-on-obsession.

Friday 18th August

The first entry on my 06-07 log. My usual nocturnal 4.5-mile plod around the North side of Maidenhead. This was my first outing for 12 days, and my previous three months’ weekly average stood at 3 miles per week.

Unusually, I was mp3-enabled, with Nicholas Parsons and Green Day the unlikely combination on my playlist. As has happened in the past, concentrating on the audio meant I was less aware of my pace, and my body told that I was running a little too fast. Still, the smiles generated by Just a Minute, followed by some hard rockin’ to bring me home, resulted in an enjoyable run, and I even managed a sprint finish.

But a look at the stopwatch showed that it was my gut, not my ears, that had affected my workrate. A good two minutes slower than my usual time for this circuit. Still, after effectively a three-month layoff, whaddya expect?

Saturday 26th August

The same drill as last week. I forwent the audio entertainment in order to give complete focus to my athletic performance. The result – another minute slower than last week. Truly I am back at Square One – physically, at least. Mentally, I’ve done this all before – so I anticipate that this training programme (I don’t want to insert the "M" word just yet) will be much less a voyage of discovery. Having said that, I’m sure that Running will have plenty of lessons to teach me – I have no idea yet what they’ll be.

It was tough going to start with – as often happens I didn’t really feel warmed up for about half an hour. I cling to this trait as evidence that I’m built to be a long-distance runner. (Other indications tend to contradict this.)

But I was glad I went. I’ve recently read Russell Taylor’s The Looniness of the Long Distance Runner, and one bit of wisdom that stuck with me was his assertion that afterwards, he’s never regretted going for a run, rather than taking up one of the several easier options that always present themselves when there are miles to be banked. My variation is this: faced with a number of activities, be they leisure or jobs, what better use could there possibly be of the next 45 minutes than going for a run? With a few obvious exceptions that I don’t need to detail, the running should win every time.

August summary

Runs: planned 2, completed 2
Miles: planned 8, completed 9
Verdict: from tiny acorns…
07-09-2006, 08:17 AM,
Out the door at 10 pm for another plod round the 4.5 mile circuit. I started feeling unusually weak about half-way round, and considered taking a short-cut home. I figured it was due to not having eaten for 4 hours – usually I like a few calories 1-2 hours before exercise. But I decided that over such a short distance there wasn’t any chance of it turning into a real problem, so plodded on and eventually got a second wind. Most gratifying. But I came in yet another 30 s slower than last week – if the trend continues next week, I’ll be up to 10-minute miling, which I think would be the slowest I’ve ever run.

But pace doesn’t matter at this stage.
07-09-2006, 08:47 AM,
marathondan Wrote:I’ll be up to 10-minute miling, which I think would be the slowest I’ve ever run. But pace doesn’t matter at this stage.

Ten minute miling's about my top speed most days.
That's enough mocking the afflicted outta you MD Big Grin

You're right of course - pace is nothing, time on your feet is everything.
Pace will come eventually - you'll get stronger, throw in some fartlek or intervals (just reading LJS's recent posts leaves me knackered) - the speed will come back in time. Now?

Mileage, mileage, mileage.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

07-09-2006, 11:46 AM,
Sweder Wrote:Ten minute miling's about my top speed most days.
That's enough mocking the afflicted outta you MD
Sorry, I know that quoting mile pace is rather vulgar and not quite the done thing on the higher class forums, like what this one are. But I think you doth protest too much, seeing as you are the one gleefully grinding out your hilly 15 milers in all conditions, while I start whimpering 2 miles into a short suburban plod.

So yes, quoting mile pace is rather vulgar, and does make for many very dull training diaries around the internet. At races in particular, I'm always struck by how we're all somewhere on the spectrum of ability, and we can only shift that position a certain amount by training. Countless times I've overtaken a runner early on, thinking "I know I'm no great shakes, but thank goodness I'm a class above that poor sod", only to be burned off by them in the final stages. You just can't tell by looking at someone where they lie on the spectrum.

As Max Ehrmann said in his otherwise schmaltzy pile of shite poem, "If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself."

(BTW Sweder apologies if I sound patronising, this is just a rambling thought rather than intending to tell anyone anything they don't already know.)
07-09-2006, 01:01 PM,
marathondan Wrote:(BTW Sweder apologies if I sound patronising, this is just a rambling thought rather than intending to tell anyone anything they don't already know.)

Nothing wrong with rambling thoughts, MD.
My entire diary is built upon such things Big Grin

I agree it's tough to compare one's own efforts with those of others.
If you wan't to get really depressed read some of BB's or JohnB's stories.
They're in great danger of being mistaken for athletes Eek

14-09-2006, 07:21 AM,
A midweek day off gave the chance of a rare daytime run, on the way to picking Luke up from preschool. As the day steadily warmed up, I downed water and a large handful of raisins, and set off for my usual 4.5 mile route.

I had in mind that I should up the pace, after my recent casual efforts and the fact that I’m planning to increase to 6 miles (woo) this weekend. However, I felt horribly unfit and sluggish; the raisins weighed heavily in my stomach and would probably have been better pocketed for a mid-run refuel. I had opted for MP3 entertainment, but Iron Maiden’s thumping basslines seemed to be mocking my leaden gait, and I unplugged the earphones after a couple of songs.

Nothing really improved much, and as is the case with such runs, there were the usual why-the-hell-do-I-do-this internal conversations – although at the moment the answers seem surprisingly simple (previously: the unconquered challenge of running a marathon; now: basic anti-lard measures).

Managing to pick up the pace a little towards the end, I lumbered into the preschool car park, pouring with sweat and definitely outside the comfortable conversation zone. Three days into the new term, and my carefully-constructed image of cool-yet-sensitive hands-on dad was shattered in an instant.

However, the watch showed 6 minutes faster than last week. Since the preschool is only 0.34 miles short of home (courtesy of the excellent measuring tool at Map 24) then I can count this as a three-minute improvement over the full distance. This takes me back to a lesson from the "old days": if a run feels crap, I’m probably going too fast.

Meanwhile, cheques are in the post for Henley and Marlow half marathons. Huzzah! Both are pretty hilly by all accounts. Henley is only three and a half weeks away.
14-09-2006, 09:03 AM,
marathondan Wrote:basic anti-lard measures

I like that.

Well done for committing to the halfs. I'm not yet sure where they fit with my schedule but I may just enter one of them myself.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
14-09-2006, 09:47 AM,
Re basic anti-lard measures. Undoubtedly my favourite part of marathon training was being able to eat as much as I wanted and still lose weight. I've never quite got out of the habit.

My original motivation for taking up running aged 30 was to arrive at 40 in at least the same condition of fitness, if not better. If nothing else, I need to make sure I stay on that track.

Oh shit, I've just realised I've become one of the fools who wants to defy / reverse the ageing process.
18-09-2006, 08:42 AM,
7 miles around town at 9.30 pm. (Longest distance for 5 months!) I was due on the 0546 to Paddington the following morning, but I felt that to miss the run would get the week off to a bad start.

Completed relatively comfortably, despite the additional weight of the good and evil sprites on my shoulders, arguing about whether to take a short cut seemingly every 20 yards. At about 5 miles, I hit the Zone and knocked both the bastards off with my swinging arms.

Lesson of the week: running once a week is no good, even when just starting out. (Any beginner’s training plan could have told me that.) After a week, the legs seem to forget what they’ve learned. I feel much better having done a midweeker as well.
18-09-2006, 09:37 AM,
Excellent stuff, Dan - those last two posts sum up almost a decade of running for me, even if in my case I jumped in five years later.

I can remember at least ten new year's resolutions when I said - 'this is the year when I'm going to get fit'.

The best of intentions, but of course, I never did. Until one listless summer's evening after a full day of workstation-induced sloth, punctuated by nothing more than morning blueberry muffins and afternoon Wagon Wheels, I finally went out running.

I don't need to say that line anymore. Now I'm onto 'this is the year when I am going to lose some weight'.

Basic anti-lard measures are very definitely the name of the game around here, too.
20-09-2006, 09:37 PM,
TEMPO-TASTIC!

My long run is now long enough to make a short run feel short. Plus I'd concluded that once a week isn't enough. The obvious answer was a swift 2.5 mile circuit. Out at 9.30 pm into a mild, starry night; a half mile warmup then I stepped on the gas. Very nice.

The jury's still out on FLM - with the broken sleep and early starts I'm getting, a marathon may be a bridge too far this season. But a weekly routine of a 10 miler plus a tempo / fartlek session midweek wouldn't be a bad cardiovascular fitness regime, would it?
20-09-2006, 10:09 PM,
marathondan Wrote:TEMPO-TASTIC!

My long run is now long enough to make a short run feel short. Plus I'd concluded that once a week isn't enough. The obvious answer was a swift 2.5 mile circuit. Out at 9.30 pm into a mild, starry night; a half mile warmup then I stepped on the gas. Very nice.

The jury's still out on FLM - with the broken sleep and early starts I'm getting, a marathon may be a bridge too far this season. But a weekly routine of a 10 miler plus a tempo / fartlek session midweek wouldn't be a bad cardiovascular fitness regime, would it?

Don't give up on a marathon yet, Dan. The standard 16 or 18 week training schedule means a start in mid-December for the FLM. Not trying to persuade you either way, but as long as you keep up this sort of routine and level of fitness you can probably leave a marathon decision till near to Christmas. That said, the closing date for the FLM is much sooner than that, so it might be worth applying anyway. It's statistically unlikely that you'd get a place in the ballot (about 1 chance in 5 I believe) but if you did get a place you could always defer.

Or even better, compensate your other half for the hassle of your training by going for Paris instead. No ballot to negotiate, and you can leave the decision on entry until the new year.

Changing the subject, I entered the Cliveden cross-country online today. A long way in advance, I know, but places do go quickly. It seems to be on New Year's Eve this year, which might be a bit inconvenient but may see you there.
El Gordo

21-09-2006, 05:31 AM,
Cheers Andy. I have applied for FLM already - if by a stroke of luck I get a place, and decide it's too much for this year, I'll defer. If I don't get a place and am still keen, I should be able to pick up a golden bond place in the new year. Paris might be worth thinking about too...

Every year I also think about doing Cliveden, and I say I'll wait and see how the holiday programme pans out... by which time it's too late of course. Thanks for the reminder!
21-09-2006, 07:25 AM,
marathondan Wrote:Every year I also think about doing Cliveden, and I say I'll wait and see how the holiday programme pans out... by which time it's too late of course. Thanks for the reminder!

Definitely worth doing if family commitments allow. It's a real gem of a race. Coming as it does between Christmas and New Year, it's always cold and frosty, but has a good festive atmosphere. The course is tough, but scenic. Best of all is the way it gives you a small island of your own time during all those family get-togethers. Good for motivation and New Year enthusiasm too.

Usually sells out by middish November.
El Gordo

26-09-2006, 09:12 PM,
2.5 easy, as the schedule writers would say.

I failed to find 90 minutes over the weekend, so I've written off this week's "long" run. Now there's probably only one more chance to get a 9-10 miler in before the Henley half, on Sunday week.

So this was just a short outing to keep the legs ticking over. Despite a modest target pace, I was home only 30 seconds slower than my "tempo" run last week. A month ago, this run would have been knackering and demoralising. Tonight, it was as close to truly enjoying running during the run (as opposed to afterwards - usually the best bit) as I can remember.
04-10-2006, 10:32 AM,
marathondan Wrote:Tonight, it was as close to truly enjoying running during the run (as opposed to afterwards - usually the best bit) as I can remember.

That's the main thing M'Dan... as long as you're enjoying it, you'll always be a runner. And you're still waaaaay ahead of SP's weekly mileage Wink
Run. Just run.
04-10-2006, 11:22 AM,
Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:And you're still waaaaay ahead of SP's weekly mileage Wink

Who isn't?

Attached Files
.gif   crying.gif (Size: 194 bytes / Downloads: 31)
10-10-2006, 09:11 AM,
Thanks for the support MLCM.

SP, now skip forward to October to see the joy you're missing out on. Rolleyes
10-10-2006, 11:26 AM,
marathondan Wrote:SP, now skip forward to October to see the joy you're missing out on. Rolleyes

Thanks for the ugly visual of SP skipping Dan . . . Eek

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Road To Richmond - 2018 marathondan 49 10,581 01-10-2018, 08:52 PM
Last Post: marathondan
  The Road to Richmond marathondan 60 14,704 24-09-2017, 09:41 AM
  December - the road to London marathondan 18 23,482 06-01-2012, 10:46 PM
  Road to London 2009 marathondan 17 12,311 15-12-2008, 10:50 AM