Who remembers Henry Rono?
02-09-2006, 12:08 PM,
?
05-09-2006, 11:20 AM,
I seem to recall that the peak of Rono's running career was the 1978 season. In a time frame of just 81 days, he broke four world records: the 10,000 metres, the 5,000 metres, the 3,000 metres steeplechase, and the 3,000 metres — an achievement unparalleled in the history of distance running. In the same year he also won the 5000 m and the 3000 m steeplechase gold medals at the Commonwealth Games.

But then again, I use Wikipedia.

Why you ask?

And anyway, that's all very well, but they're not exactly serious distances, are they? Smile
05-09-2006, 09:41 PM,
marathondan Wrote:In a time frame of just 81 days, he broke four world records: the 10,000 metres, the 5,000 metres, the 3,000 metres steeplechase, and the 3,000 metres — an achievement unparalleled in the history of distance running. In the same year he also won the 5000 m and the 3000 m steeplechase gold medals at the Commonwealth Games.

That’s right....unparalleled. And if he’d trained for a marathon he’d have broken that record too. Amazing. Unrepeatable?

Rono is also one of the first athletes I remember watching on TV…just before Coe and Ovett. And the first Olympics I remember were Moscow 1980, which on being boycotted by Kenya denied Henry Rono the world stage he deserved. But in 1978 he was the greatest athlete in the world. Then he sort of… disappeared.

The full story you’ll find elsewhere
http://mysite.verizon.net/jim2wr/id81.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Rono
Let’s just say he had his ups and downs, but anybody who saw him in his prime would find it hard to imagine the skinny Kenyan carrying over 16 stone on his 5 feet 8 frame as he did not long ago.

Anyway, the reason for the post. Anybody who loves a good running story should check out this thread for some truly inspirational stuff. http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.p...899&page=0
I’ve been following it for a while. At first I wasn’t sure if it was a hoax or not, but it really is the real Henry Rono religiously keeping his training diary. And he seems genuinely pleased with any words of encouragement… (just like the rest of us!) which hammers home the whole idea of a running community. We’re all in the same boat. As the great Australian mid-life crisis guru said the other day.. "if more people ran, they'd realise that personal endeavour is much more important than bashing the snot out of your neighbour, no matter who or what they are. Running doesn't just repress anger, it totally negates it.If only we could bottle it". mmmmm, I liked that.

Mr Rono does get a bit irate now and again though, especially when people insist on the same old “how many beers/hot dogs before x world record?” questions but he is massively enthusiastic about getting back into his running and also in the development of young athletes. He’s still at least 4 stone overweight but managed to run a 5k last weekend in 21 minutes. His training sessions are real eye openers… just zap through to the most recent ones if you can’t be bothered to wade through it all (we’re now at “day 94 of training phase II…”)

And he has a very special way of getting his message across. I particularly like “feeling burning fires” which is Rono-ism for post-run cramps.

Just thought that some of you might find it interesting and even inspirational as I certainly have.
06-09-2006, 06:07 AM,
Looks like a good read - from my dip into pages 1 and 29. As an elite athlete who has been all the way down as well as up, it's bound to be full of wisdom. Just a couple I noticed from the latest page...

"You can't get-up from the blanket and try to perform in the race. Are you kidding me. You will be sleeping and running. I saw that today. Anybody who knows this secret does well in every race and there is consistancy of improvements too."

...Andy, this style of preparation seems to ring a few bells from many of your race reports.

"This is the spirit we all seaching for. To run with positive thinking. With-out any bad feelings toward any-body only good and competitive spirit."

...MLCM could have said it himself.

Cheers BB!
06-09-2006, 06:49 AM,
Thanks for the link guys. I've had a quick look, but will have a proper read later. Must admit I don't remember the name.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
07-09-2006, 01:20 AM,
I remember seeing Rono but didn't realise he'd set so many records - tres impressive!

5k in 21 minutes whilst 4 stone overwight... hmm. I think I'm going to be sick.
Run. Just run.
07-09-2006, 11:11 AM,
Anyone desperate to compete this year?
I may be able to help.
PM for more details.

No strings/ fund raising attached!

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

07-09-2006, 12:54 PM,
Ah yes, Henry Rono. I remember him - he ran Zürich in 4:56, didn't he ?
07-09-2006, 01:03 PM,
That was Henry Rollo . . . Wink

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph