is this enough?
16-05-2006, 01:38 PM,
is this enough?
Hi i currently have a VO2 MAX of about 46-49 and im trying to improve it as fast as possible for my Fire Service medical which you have got to get 45 VO2 MAX, im just wondering if my current cardio regime is enough?
Because i work 2 days on 2 days off 08.45-22.00 on my work days i only have time to do the bleep test once after work i usually aim for level 9-10.

But im my days off if its nice weather i do the bleep test twice a day getting level 9.5-10 keeping heart rate above 80% then i do 30 sec 100% bursts the 30 sec rest on the rower for 20min keeping my heart rate above 80%, and i do the chester step test twice a day whcih is a submaximal test that last 10min heart rate ends up at about 80-85% of its maximum.

But if the weather is rubbish i go to the gym and run for 20min keeping my heart rate at 80-90% then i do 10 continuious minutes on the rower keeping my heart rate above 80% then i do 30 sec 100% bursts then 30 sec rests for 20 min keep heart rate at 80-90% also i do the chester step test twice a day.

PS ive got 15 days to improve as much as possible

Is this enough work to improve my VO2 MAX? Thanks very much
16-05-2006, 05:08 PM,
is this enough?
Hi FW

Gosh, that's a rather specific question that I suspect we might not be able to answer here. Certainly I can't.

If you don't get a sensible reply, I'd suggest that you post the query on the Runner's World forum (http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum)/ You might well find that someone there has been through the tests. I seem to recall reading something on this subject there once.

Best of luck with the tests. As it's obviously very important to you, you might consider getting some professional help from a coach or personal trainer.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
16-05-2006, 05:37 PM,
is this enough?
Well I thought V02 MAX was a drink!Eek

I seem to recall that the the optimum training regime for distance running is to stay around 75% of MHR.

Not sure that's any help but sorry it's the only piece of info I recall on the subject. Confused
17-05-2006, 01:15 AM,
is this enough?
Not that I'm speaking from any great deal of experience, but a quick scan of Reaburn & Jenkins "Training For Speed And Endurance" seems to suggest you are doing the right thing. They say the greatest gains to VO2 max come from training at >80% of MHR. But they also suggest a microcycle of one or two weeks is too short to accurately guage any improvement. But at least you're in with a shot.

Good luck!
Run. Just run.
17-05-2006, 07:52 AM,
is this enough?
Seafront Plodder Wrote:Well I thought V02 MAX was a drink!Eek

My daughter (and she knows about these things) is certain it's a Music Television channel.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

17-05-2006, 08:29 AM,
is this enough?
Have you ever considered being an ambulanceman, instead, or failing that, a policeman - some of them are very unfit indeed. I remember watching Tosh Lynes in The Bill and thinking to myself that his VO2 Max wasn't as impressive as it might have been.

Whichever you opt for, there's no need to change your phone number, so that's a bonus.

Oh, and have I dolloped out enough bad gags to conceal the fact that I have no idea whether your workload is enough to get you to the level you need? I have to say though, if your workload isn't enough, I don't know how anyone does get fit enough to be a fireman. They must have to ignore half the emergency calls, just to spend enough time in the gym to pass the fitness tests that allow them to wear the uniform in the first place!
19-05-2006, 11:49 PM,
is this enough?
Firewalshy, good luck with the tests. My cousin got in to the London Fire Brigade because they needed a good prop forward for the rugby. He was also pretty fit, I hasten to add, coz now he runs aswell (hello Barry if you are reading this).

Things depened on where you started from. A VO2max of 45 isn't that high if you are reasonably young and fit, so if you started from that level there should be room for improvement. If you have been training at that level for some time though you might not be able to improve much more.

The only thing I would change would be the 20 minutes constant in the gym... thinking more along the lines of 400m series at 90% with 1'30" recoveries.

Not that I know much about these things, the guys who put our police/fire/guardia civil hopefuls through their paces is a great beleiver in 10X400m intervals.