Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
April
03-04-2006, 12:00 PM,
April
A great run to report, at last. My final chance to get a long one in before Reading, so I attempted two laps of my normal circuit, a total of somewhere between 9 and 10 miles. It was left until last thing on Sunday night, but it wasn't a bad night; a bit blustery and a few spots of rain, but still shorts weather.

Anyway, it was just like the old days - if fact, it was my longest run since FLM, 11 and a half months ago. I took it steady, water was supped, raisins were consumed, various parts of my lower anatomy got progressively stiff and heavy, but I plugged away and finished strongly, in just under the 90 minutes. It's so long since I've experienced that feeling of putting a long run to bed, and it was a real buzz. And then there was the payback: a roast chicken sandwich and a glass of wine that I had really earned. In truth, I do wonder whether long-distance running is a sensible thing to do to one's body, compared with cycling and swimming, but here was clear evidence of why we do it (and why 1x9 miles is better than 3x3 miles).

Today I am really, really stiff, but nothing I haven't experienced before. Doesn't help that my recovery strategy was basically go straight to bed, then sit in a car for 45 minutes.

So the week ahead should entail one game of football (tomorrow - if I can walk by then), a short one on Thurs or Fri, and then Reading on Sunday. The PB stands at 1:39 from the peak of my marathon training - that's clearly unachievable. I had thought that I'd be happy with 1:50, but I reckon anything under two hours is more realistic. But anyway, I 'm just heading out there to enjoy it. Funny how things turn out.
06-04-2006, 09:14 AM,
April
By Tuesday - a full day's recovery from the 10 miler - virtually all aches were gone, which is absolutely fantastic given how little running I've been doing. I'm really looking forward to Reading now - it will be more than a little nostalgic, and hopefully spur me on to keep running in the future.

Tuesday night football was truly awful, the "B" team lost 12-8, to a team who on one memorable night we put 24 goals past. Since then they've since gained two very decent players, who've also reduced their average age somewhat. But the rest of the team were very average, and we should have done much better. I was as slack as - I won't even start thinking of similes for that - and I'm starting to wonder if my time would be better spent on a more productive pastime, like hitting myself with a big piece of wood.
06-04-2006, 09:35 PM,
April
Marathondan. Fancy a game? We're short of players for Saturday...it'll be a good warm up for Reading (good luck by the way!)
06-04-2006, 10:56 PM,
April
Have a great run on Sunday, MD.
You'll like the Reading run, especially the finish in the stadium. Enjoy.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

07-04-2006, 08:51 AM,
April
A pleasant lunchtime offroad run yesterday in the sunshine - definitely the best day of the year so far (and far better than Tasmania for once Smile ). It was a short jaunt along the Grand Union Canal and around the parkland of Horsenden Hill. Rather stop-start, since firstly much of the canal towpath was closed for essential Digging of Random Holes, and secondly because in an attempt to find a nice path up to the summit I found myself on the golf course more than once and had to backtrack.

The Wembley arch has been visible around these parts for some time; yesterday the grandstand roof was clearly shimmering in the sunlight like an oasis - you know, one of those things that promises so much but never quite materialises. Let's hope the Olympic project follows the model of the new Arsenal stadium rather than Wembley. Personally, I think moving Wembley to Birmingham or Manchester would have been the best idea. (I mean the stadium, not the borough - although that's a thought...)

The run was a reminder that as soon as spring arrives, the focus suddenly shifts from keeping warm to keeping cool. I could have done with a water bottle, even for just three miles, and even in a t-shirt I was warm. This gives rise to a golden rule of running attire: If The Sun Is Direct, A Vest Shall Be Worn. Maximise that surface area for evaporative cooling. This excludes winter months, and sunburn considerations. Terms and conditions apply. Pace may go down as well as up.

PS - thanks for the good wishes guys. I did Reading last year, when it was in early March - hat and gloves weather. Should be a bit nicer this time.
07-04-2006, 01:51 PM,
April
Hope you enjoy your race on Sunday MD, hope the weather isn't too warm for you.
18-04-2006, 02:28 PM,
April
While our heroes were far from down and out in Paris and Zurich, I was plotting a rather shorter course much closer to home. My second ever half marathon, the first being the same event last year. At that time, looking back at my diary, I’d done 12.5, 10, 15 and 16 miles on the previous four Sundays, and had averaged 16.3 miles per week for the three months up to the race. The result: a 1:39 which far exceeded my expectations (self-congratulatory report here) and paved the way for a successful London marathon. This year, I’d managed a 10K race and 7.5 and 9 mile runs, with a three month average of 5.6 miles per week. So I rated my chances as 1:50 at best, and was really looking for anything under 2 hours.

The train times were inconvenient, so I found myself leaving the house three hours before the start of a race only 20 miles away – rather frustrating. One train and one shuttle bus journey later and I was at the race site at 8 am. The sky was cloudless, and I settled down in a sunny corner of the car park with the Sunday Times, considering whether to change from t-shirt to vest.

The organisation was much better than last year. Having the start and finish in the same location makes much more sense – not least because the baggage doesn’t have to be shifted. The out-of-town start was much more spacious, there were loos down at the line, and we were away bang on 10am. By that time the sky had clouded over, and I was glad of my bin liner - and the surprising amount of body heat from my fellow runners.

The course starts down to the south of the town at the football ground, heads up through the university (a few fresh-faced student supporters here, at a time when most should be sleeping off hangovers, with quaint banners like "Go Meteorologists!"), wends its way through the shopping district, then takes up one carriageway of the A33 back down to the Madejski stadium. So there are some well-supported stretches and some barely-supported stretches. There was a pretty decent turnout in the town centre, the A33 stretch wasn’t as bleak as I remember from last year, and of course the grandstand finish in the stadium was packed. Overall, there was enough atmosphere to raise a few smiles among the runners, although nothing like the carnival that can be seen at the major marathons.

As for my race, I had little idea what to expect, given my lack of training. I optimistically lined up around the 1:45 marker, because I do like a fairly fast start. I clocked the first mile just outside 8 minutes, so I thought I’d try and stick to that pace and see how things went. Over the next few miles I began to creep under 8 minutes, and all felt good so I just kept going.

By half way I was starting to feel my lack of training, but pushed on regardless. Around 8 miles I increased my workrate, stepping up from 3/3 breathing to 2/2, and began to count down the miles rather than up. Every mile post was still appearing below 8 minute miles, but the time at which I checked my watch was getting earlier each mile. Early on, I wouldn’t check the time till about 6 minutes (three quarters of a mile). By ten miles it was down to two minutes. I thought I’d just carry on as long as I could and then drop the pace, coming in very happily somewhere under 1:50.

The end game began as we left the town centre and headed down the A33. Since last year the finish has gained an even bigger landmark than the Madejski stadium – a massive wind turbine, which can be seen from about mile 10 – and that gave me a definite psychological boost. At mile 11, I was still under 8 minute miling, and it occurred to me that I really could beat 1:45. At last the inevitable drop in pace came, and I crossed 12 miles bang on 8 minute pace, at 1:36. So it was a simple matter of 1.1 miles in less than 9 minutes.

The final drag started with an unpromising uphill, but we were soon only a few bends away from the stadium. There were clearly a few race-buddy partnerships going on here, as I was seemingly surrounded by shouts like "Don’t give up on me now, Dave!" As we met the finishers exiting the stadium there was the eerie rustle of a thousand space blankets in the wind, then it was round the back of this mighty castle and down the ramp to face the noisy, if not quite roaring, crowd. Going down that ramp is absolutely fantastic; anyone who’s ever watched an Olympic marathon on telly must surely be reminded of it.

So with the announcer burbling away in the background I put my foot to the floor, hit the 1/1 breathing, burned off and was burned off in fairly equal measure, and stopped my watch at 1:44:20 – bloody great, and far better than I could have expected. Where a minute before I had been surrounded by pain and struggle, there was now a collective feeling of relief, and I strolled with my smiling comrades to the exit, soaking up the stadium atmosphere while it lasted.

A few other things that made me smile:
  • Two excellent bands along the route, one of which (with the start now near the finish) we got twice
  • A van from some kind of mission organisation parked alongside the route, bearing the message of Matthew 11:28
  • Lone supporters, presumably waiting for their supportee, patiently clapping and calling encouragement to all and sundry
  • Family groups of supporters, equipped with tambourines, saucepans and toy drums
  • One barefoot runner – a bloke who didn’t look that much of a serious runner, although you never can tell… (and actually I can’t remember if I overtook him or not)
  • Overtaking John Madejski, and surfing his wave of applause
  • Seeing Mick & Phil
  • A couple of rhinos at the start
  • Being overtaken by a couple of CRY hearts – way to go, guys
  • A family who’d set up a simple table to give out orange segments, with a stereo playing Eye of the Tiger
  • As is now traditional, spotting a ladies super-vet from Reading Roadrunners (Reading’s second best club, I understand from Andy) – although she didn’t give me as much trouble as my nemesis at the Goring 10K
The keen supporters in particular made me think that if you’re making a day of it to support one person, you might as well go the whole hog and make a spectacle of yourself for the benefit of everyone. Hitting random objects semi-rhythmically, or loading a ghetto blaster with those favourite running anthems, will raise hundreds if not thousands of smiles in a short space of time.

The only downer was the shuttle bus back to the station – I now remember that it was exactly the same last year. To anyone doing this race in future: the bus takes about an hour to cover the couple of miles back to the station. People were getting off and walking. It might not have been a bad idea.

If you like mass participation events, I’d definitely recommend this race: the organisers claimed it’s the second biggest in the UK (to Great North Run presumably) with 13,000 entrants (although only 9,000 finishers – some New Year resolutions fallen by the wayside methinks) and it now has the unique selling point of finishing in a Premiership football stadium. At least for one year.

I intend to make it a regular outing.

Well that’s my race season over until at least late summer. I’ll let you know if I manage any training.

PS – really, really, really stiff the day after.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

18-04-2006, 02:44 PM,
April
Good job MD!
Another believer in the 'less is more' doctrine delivers the goods.
At this rate I'll be lucky if I manage 10 miles per week before my next run Big Grin

That start sounds so much better than the chaos of 2005. I'll probably give it another go next year. The finish was less of an issue as we met up with Andy and went down the pub . . .

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

19-04-2006, 11:29 PM,
April
Well done Dan, great run. Enjoyed the report.

Agree with most of your comments about this race. It's my local big race, and I would have done it again this year, but it didn't quite fit in with my training schdule for Zurich, mainly because it was a month later this year than normal.

Getting to and from the Madejski by public transport is a nightmare, as many thousands of disgruntled away fans will discover next season. But it's still a race that I'd recommend to people. Has the feel of a big event, and by half marathon standards, has excellent crowd support.

Are you planning on doing any more Berkshire races this year? There are a few good 10Ks in the area, plus the Burnham Beeches Half is back in August. Hot and hilly, but I may do it again this year.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
20-04-2006, 12:48 PM,
April
andy Wrote:I would have done it again this year, but it didn't quite fit in with my training schdule for Zurich, mainly because it was a month later this year than normal.
Yes, it was only 2 weeks before FLM, which in my book is rather too close. I think the originally published date was earlier, so I suspect that it was made later for logistical reasons, and might be back to the old date next year.

andy Wrote:Are you planning on doing any more Berkshire races this year? There are a few good 10Ks in the area, plus the Burnham Beeches Half is back in August. Hot and hilly, but I may do it again this year.
Well I feel rather more confident about doing a half on minimal training now, so yes I should try a few 10Ks and halfs. I may go back to Harpsden, and there are the Marlow and Henley halfs later in the year. Runners World race database ahoy...
20-04-2006, 02:53 PM,
April
Keep us informed, and no doubt we'll bump into each other at one of them.

The Dorney 10K in early July is dead flat, round the lake, and the Oracle 10K in early September has a decent goody bag for a 10K. A nice evening race I enjoyed in 2005 is the Bracknell 5 miler through the woods.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
20-04-2006, 03:02 PM,
April
Ah, a litany of races I intended to enter in 2005...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  April 2012 marathondan 55 50,635 06-05-2012, 09:47 PM
Last Post: Bierzo Baggie
  April 2011 marathondan 35 29,716 21-04-2011, 09:43 PM
  April 2009 – The Final Countdown marathondan 37 29,731 23-05-2009, 03:29 PM