good luck in Zurich
25-03-2006, 12:17 AM,
good luck in Zurich
I have been reading your wonderful descriptions for over 2 years now. It is strange but I am actually looking forward to the Zurich marathon even though I wont be running it!

I am sure you can get the time you need - go for it. I am looking forward to the race report

All the best

San Diego Andy
25-03-2006, 07:01 AM,
good luck in Zurich
sandiegoandy Wrote:I am actually looking forward to the Zurich marathon even though I wont be running it!

Well, I'm glad someone is looking forward to it. Even better, if you could get to London by Friday week, I could do you a great value race package. Flight, hotel, race entry, sight-seeing......

Seriously, thanks very much for your good wishes. You're the 4th previously-unknown person to contact me in the last 12 hours or so, saying pretty much the same thing. It's greatly appreciated. Every little helps.

Out of interest, have you done the San Diego Marathon? I've had a patchy correspondence with Ozzie Gontang over the past 3 or 4 years. The name may or may not mean something to you. (http://www.mindfulness.com/).

Cheers -- and welcome to the forum.

westberkshireandy Eek
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
01-04-2006, 09:59 PM,
good luck in Zurich
Best of Luck in Zurich, Andy and Ashley in Paris and all the other forumites who are taking part in any marathon this month. I wish I was also taking part in one.

I think that if you can reach km 10 in 65 minutes ( 6´30´´ a kilometre ), km 20 in two hours 15 minutes ( 7´ a km ), km 30 in three hours thirty minutes ( 7´30´´ a km ), you have one hour and a half to do the last 12 kms 195 metres, which you can do just walking briskly. If you´re lucky with the weather and the injuries, I´m sure that you can succeed. I´ll be looking forward to your report.

Have a good trip, Andy, Ashley, etc. Greetings to M.

Saludos desde Almería

Antonio

01-04-2006, 10:20 PM,
good luck in Zurich
Cheers Antonio. Maybe it really is as easy as that!
El Gordo

01-04-2006, 11:44 PM,
good luck in Zurich
Thanks Antonio, your support is much appreciated.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

02-04-2006, 07:05 PM,
good luck in Zurich
I would like to add my good wishes to both Sweder and Andy, your advice over the past months has been much appreciated. Hope you both get the times you hope to achieve.
03-04-2006, 07:21 AM,
good luck in Zurich
I'd second that. Been reading the various thoughts and reports on here for a while, and thought it was time to break cover and wish Andy and everyone else who's got a race charging at them over the horizon, the very best of luck.

I'm running my first marathon in London on the 23rd, and have found it really helpful, and often inspiring, to read about ordinary runners, fitting their training around ordinary lives, and overcoming ordinary doubts and concerns. I've certainly found it more useful than reading about the preparations of a super-athlete, whose weekly mileage I wouldn't match if I included the distances I've driven, as well as run.

I hope everyone enjoys their runs, and achieves the targets they've set themselves.

And Andy, I hope QPR explain why they're so intent on tearing themselves apart before too long. I used to love interviewing Holloway, and with him gone, football's got even blander still - not a step it could really afford to take...
03-04-2006, 08:54 AM,
good luck in Zurich
Hope your training has been going well. FLM on the 23rd will be my first marathon (and my last), but hey, today is the start of The Taper, hooray! After the 20 miles yesterday the beer last night tasted wonderfulSmile
03-04-2006, 10:27 AM,
good luck in Zurich
I'll be honest, I think I'm going to be quite a lot better at tapering than I am at marathon running.

The eating your own bodyweight in pasta each day, I find quite simple. The heading out and running 20 miles at a time, frankly, is proving more of a challenge...
03-04-2006, 01:55 PM,
good luck in Zurich
Good luck Andy and Sweder this coming weekend. I'll be cheering for you both. I always say the planets have to align the day of the marathon, so let's hope that happens for you two and you both run great races - whatever that means.

Good luck and try to have fun!

Suzie
03-04-2006, 10:40 PM,
good luck in Zurich
I'll be cheering you on too. Have a good 'n and whatever happens, there'll be a couple of epic reports to come......
04-04-2006, 10:05 AM,
good luck in Zurich
MickCollins Wrote:And Andy, I hope QPR explain why they're so intent on tearing themselves apart before too long. I used to love interviewing Holloway, and with him gone, football's got even blander still - not a step it could really afford to take...

How much time have you got Mick...?

The decision to despatch Ollie to his garden hasn't been explained. It doesn't make sense to me. All I'm aware of was a small but loud minority on the QPR messageboards calling for a change, and shortly afterwards, it happened. The shenanigans at that place this year have been depressing. Guns, threats, court cases, shady connections with Brazil and Monaco, massive loans from Panama-based financiers.... it's all beyond me.

Whatever happened to the Beautiful Game? It was all supposed to be about simplicity.

Here's a snap of Holloway in happier times, along with me and another Andy.

To slip into terrace vernacular, he'll always be a legend to me....

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

El Gordo

05-04-2006, 08:31 AM,
good luck in Zurich
David Vine stands in front of camera with best sheepskin coat and huge microphone, whilst snowy pistes and pretty mountain hamlets glisten invitingly in perfect sunshine behind him.

Cue inspirational, if now somewhat dated, 'Ski Sunday' music. Music finally fades.

Well, viewers, we're looking forward to another great weekend of sport. Here I am today, in the unpicturesque yet uniquely convivially concrete French Alpine resort of Flaine, where the truly great Gallic skiers such as Jean-Claude KIlly and Luc Alphand have probably never actually even set foot, let alone ski boot (more irrelevant intro drivel on p.297 ...).

I've managed to locate myself ideally between the two legendary marathon cities for a spot of altitude training as well as for a vital local conditions update.

The bad news is that torrential rain in the Alps has confined the Platt Family Skiers to barracks this morning. The good news is that the weather is set to clear for Saturday (when sadly, of course we'll all be heading for home) to leave perfect conditions for our two British hopefuls in their marathon quests ahead this weekend.

All the best for a fantastic run this Sunday, Andy and Ashley. If dedication and unswerving commitment to the sport were any measure of predicting success, then ...

... the cuckoo clocks on Bahnhofstrasse and the cafes of the Champs Elysees will surely be looking down on Guinness and champagne celebrations by mid-afternoon on Sunday.

Schoeni Lauf, Zaeme, et bon foot tout le monde !

Right then - now where did I put those trainers and my rainjacket ... ?
05-04-2006, 12:10 PM,
good luck in Zurich
Good luck guys

Heres to 2 great reports and excellent performances.

Pete
05-04-2006, 07:11 PM,
good luck in Zurich
Thanks everyone.
El Gordo

06-04-2006, 06:55 AM,
good luck in Zurich
Andy, best of luck with your challenge (let's hope Antonio is right). Hope it's a great weekend.
06-04-2006, 08:25 AM,
good luck in Zurich
will wait with bated breath for the reports.
06-04-2006, 08:44 AM,
good luck in Zurich
Have a pint for us, SW.
If I know you're having one for me I'll limit myself to just a couple on Saturday night Wink

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

06-04-2006, 09:06 AM,
good luck in Zurich
But are you sure you want me to limit that to just one for you both? I could probably manage a little more if you think it would help - I mean anything to oblige a Fellow and Founding member of this most excellent Running Club.
06-04-2006, 12:51 PM,
good luck in Zurich
Kind of you to offer SW, but I insist on taking my fair share of the rehydration burden.
El Gordo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Garmin Forerunner 205 free to a good home The Beast of Bevendean 7 4,891 03-06-2014, 10:22 PM
Last Post: marathondan
  luck on the day johnnyb 14 6,826 09-06-2009, 12:06 PM
Last Post: stillwaddler
  Good luck to all FLMers Sweder 42 20,228 27-04-2006, 07:15 AM
Last Post: marathondan
  Good luck, Sweder ! Nigel 18 7,883 17-05-2005, 11:50 AM
Last Post: El Gordo
  Best of luck in Hamburg, Andy Antonio247 10 4,716 20-04-2005, 12:56 PM
Last Post: JP the Dream Chaser
  A good read Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 1 1,547 17-07-2004, 09:56 AM
Last Post: El Gordo
  Good Luck, Andy fjsnakeskin 5 2,459 06-03-2004, 12:27 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  Pleasant surprise and a good idea?! Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 1 1,550 15-01-2004, 10:06 AM
Last Post: parky