Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
March is a little late starting...
09-03-2006, 10:49 AM,
No running so far this month, not even any real football, so I'll have to turn to the third official topic of this forum: beer. A very pleasant evening last night at a Dutch/Belgian bar in Drury Lane, in honour/at the expense of my company's Nederlands client. A series of jokes, mostly involving Bollickes and/or large jugs, are tempting, but I'll resist. Anyway, I sampled some very nice stuff, including Leffe Brune and Verboten Vrucht (which is probably not a million miles from a half of Pedigree and blackcurrant with a double vodka thrown in). After that it was just a case of whatever pitcher appeared next, so all I can say is that it tasted increasingly good as the evening wore on. A very worthwhile educational event in my opinion, and after a solid five hours' sleep I was as fresh as a lightly trampled daisy this morning.

I'm not sure where the last two weeks have gone, but they seem to have occurred without any running. I'm away in Dorset this weekend, so will pack my kit and treat myself to a ten-miler - I have Prepared A Map. Reading Half is in four weeks.Eek
09-03-2006, 11:43 PM,
marathondan Wrote:and after a solid five hours' sleep I was as fresh as a lightly trampled daisy this morning.

Nice one, Dan. I'll no doubt repeat that sometime, convinced that I made it up...
Eek
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
17-03-2006, 07:57 AM,
Still nowt going on here. Reading half is now 3 weeks away, and longest run to date is a 10K race. Somehow there are always more important things to do than running - e.g. last weekend, spend time with old friends and help look after numerous kids.

My family is descending this weekend, then we (nuclear family) are off to Center Parcs for the week. Will maybe try and slip out over the weekend, then should be able to get 2-3 runs in during the week - no excuses. I'll try not to overdo it - but there will be a nice pool for daily stretching...
17-03-2006, 07:59 AM,
andy Wrote:Nice one, Dan. I'll no doubt repeat that sometime, convinced that I made it up...
Eek
High praise indeed - are you sure you didn't make it up, and I'm repeating it thinking that I made it up...? etc
17-03-2006, 09:30 AM,
marathondan Wrote:High praise indeed - are you sure you didn't make it up, and I'm repeating it thinking that I made it up...? etc

The rule is:

The first time you use a quote, you mention the author by name;
The second time, you attribute it to "anonymous";
The third time, it's yours.

Unless it's Shakespeare of course Rolleyes
Run. Just run.
03-04-2006, 11:47 AM,
Well, at last some running this month. A week at Center Parcs gave me the luxury of some time, and the week's programme went like this:

Mon: 4 miles
Tue: 4 miles
Wed: Roller blading (NB - high impact sport for me)
Thur: Attempted 10 miles; completed 7.5 miles

All supplemented by daily frolics in the pool.

Mon and Tues felt great to be out, particularly in such a nice setting, but Thurs turned into not just a bad run but a Bad Run, one of those where you end up not only pulling out but considering quitting running altogether. By the time I quit I'd definitely given up on Reading, and possibly on long distance running itself. However, as usual, after a little reflection I realised that a great time at Reading ISN'T the be all and end all, I CAN make it round even if I have to take it easy, and just being part of a mass participation event will be a worthwhile experience (especially the grandstand finish in a Premiership stadium).

If at first you don't succeed - redefine success.

Monthly total: 15.5 miles
Weekly average to date for 2006: 5.3 miles

:o
03-04-2006, 12:52 PM,
Inspired by BB's comprehensive reports, I should mention last week's 5-a-side, for posterity at least. Our 15-ish man squad found themselves with three games in one evening; I turned up for the last with us already two wins to the good. Chalfont Dynamite were the opponents, a team we'd started with in Div 6 last year and had now caught up with us in Div 4. While we've been expanding into two teams and going through at least one "transition season" (great term that), they seem to have been sharpening their game, and were pretty useful.

We went in a couple of goals down at half time, not normally a cause for concern in a 50 minute 5-a-side game. Things seemed to be turning when our most prolific striker scored from the kickoff, something he seems to be managing once a game (and only once, for obvious reasons). My only real contribution was a scuffed shot which deflected off our prone skipper and somehow beat the keeper, to level at 7-7. There were protests that playing the ball when down isn't allowed (correct), but since the reaction was "What? Did I score?" then I don't think any playing of the ball occurred, and the goal stood.

We edged ahead 8-7, but Chalfont got it together and started making space. Many of us were tired (including me, after only one game) and their hard-shooting strikers were able to exploit a yard here and there to fire in some unstoppable long-range shots. In the end we were given a bit of a run-around at the back, and it finished a disappointing 14-8. But most of the boys were happy with two wins out of three.
03-04-2006, 10:44 PM,
14-8 Wow! Eek Eek Bet your goalie wore his gloves out.
04-04-2006, 05:48 AM,
Not an uncommon score for the format - 50 minutes of 5-a-side. He did have a decent game, but on the small pitch if you give a decent striker a yard to swing his leg he can ping in a powerful shot which is very hard to stop... we just got overrun in the end.
04-04-2006, 08:19 AM,
Honestly, it will be better this week, I had great encouragement from SP and Sweder etc last week when I had a disastrous mid-week 10 miler, I went out in fear and trepidation on Sunday for a 20 miler and it was absolutely fine. I junked the planned 5 miler for Thursday and stole an extra rest day instead and I'm sure that made all the difference.

Put it behind you MD, tomorrow is another day, have a Guiness or 2 (strictly medicinal of courseWink ) and an early night Smile
04-04-2006, 09:46 AM,
Thanks, you were right, it was better this week (see April).

Good luck for Sunday. The rehearsals are over, it's showtime! A marathon really takes six months (for us mere mortals, anyway) - you're actually at the final hurdle now. Just the last 26.2 miles of the 500 or so you've already done.

Big Grin Cool

(NB - I do not recommend the hurdles marathon as an event.)
04-04-2006, 10:13 AM,
I think it was Andy in a past diary entry that talked about the marathon itself being the prize at the end of all those frozen months of training.

Kinda puts it into perspective I think.

Good luck to all for Zurich, Paris and London.
05-04-2006, 05:57 AM,
marathondan Wrote:Good luck for Sunday.
Sorry SW, I didn't mean this Sunday - Andy Fever is getting to me. Although you no doubt have a taper-time longish run to look forward to, so good luck with that.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  March 2015 marathondan 55 42,973 02-04-2015, 07:35 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  Late '14 - Lightly Limbering Up for London marathondan 31 21,470 07-01-2015, 04:26 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  March 2012 marathondan 22 27,771 29-03-2012, 07:23 AM
Last Post: marathondan
  March 2011 marathondan 21 24,855 31-03-2011, 01:58 PM
Last Post: ladyrunner
  March marathondan 30 29,179 29-03-2010, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  2008 - a bit late marathondan 37 22,149 10-11-2008, 10:35 PM
Last Post: marathondan