Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Life after snowski
06-03-2006, 11:44 AM,
Life after snowski
Forgive me Running Commentary, it has been many days since my last confession.

Had a brilliant time in Colorado, great skiing, great company, great beer/wine, unfortunately not too much running, in fact I only managed to get out for 4 sessions of about 3-4 miles each, however, with altitude at just over a mile high, (we skied at 13.5 thousand feet) the perceived effort was for approximately twice that distance. Have got some piccies of my route which I will post next time.

Returned home last Wednesday afternoon, and went out for the scheduled 4 miler on Thursday whilst quite severely jet lagged.

Saturday morning was to have seen the big 16 miler tucked away but the snow that fell the evening before was still hanging around making the pavements quite treacherous so shelved that idea and vegged out for the day. Went to a friend’s house on Saturday night and drank too much (again – groan). Didn’t feel a bit like running on Sunday morning, no time for breakfast, Mr SW champing at the bit . The run was hard, straight up the A6 into Derbyshire and back. 2 miles fairly easy followed by a 3 mile hill before tapering off a little – needless to say I hadn’t chosen the route, it was Mr SW’s idea of fun. My legs ached; the bend at the front where your legs join your body was particularly painful, especially bad coming back down the hill. Had to stop for quite frequent walking breaks on the way back, munching jelly babies was the high point of the event. Mind you after the altitude 'training' I didn't feel out of breathWink

Still, I suppose it’s one more in the bank so to speak and I will really enjoy my rest day today. Will try and read all the posts I have missed to catch up on the gos. Smile

Forgot to say, also put on about 6 pounds on holiday, and believe me I could feel every one of them yesterday :-)
06-03-2006, 12:01 PM,
Life after snowski
Sounds like your encounter with winter sports was a good deal more successful than mine, SW. Took a bunch of 11 year-old girls ice-skating on Saturday. Naturally I was expected to join them on the ice and did so, to my credit, despite the certain knowledge that one large skate on my backside would have seen more action than the two strapped to my inflexible feet. So it proved, several of my daughters' pals sympathetically dragging me 'round for a few laps before I staggered off in search of coffee and respite. I sat, numb-bum'd, watching the next generation weave their way through the madding crowd with amazing skill and confidence.

Ah, to be young and fearless once more . . . Rolleyes

I'm certain the altitude experience will serve you well. Skiing counts as cross-training (along with a few slightly less ingenuous activities Wink ).
Stride on, SW. You'll do fine.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

07-03-2006, 09:27 AM,
Life after snowski
Hope your bum has recovered, don't you just hate it when the yoofs demonstrate things so effortlessly - did they learn these things in the womb? Is there an optimum time to take on new physical challenges? If there is I'm well past it, but hey, I'm really good at drinking beer and enjoying myselfWink
10-03-2006, 01:28 PM,
Life after snowski
Yaputya Lefleginski

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  June- life's a bitch and then there is no more running stillwaddler 22 11,503 16-07-2008, 11:27 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man